Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Initial Consultation Questions

My initial consultation is in the morning and I'm nervous. I'm trying to come up with a list of questions and just can't think.

Are there any questions that you wish you had asked at first? I have been reading the forums for weeks and think I know what to expect and have several questions. I just want to be sure that my bases are covered.

Thank you!

My initial consultation is in the morning and I'm nervous. I'm trying to come up with a list of questions and just can't think. Are there any questions that you wish you had asked at first? I have been reading the forums for weeks and think I know what to expect and have several questions. I just want to be sure that my bases are covered. Thank you!

I had questions for my surgeon.

Will I have a drain? Will I wake up with a catheter? Will I wake up wearing an abdominal binder? Do I have to administer blood thinner shots to myself after surgery? Will I have a private room? Have you ever had a patient that developed a leak?

I had questions for my surgeon.

Will I have a drain? Will I wake up with a catheter? Will I wake up wearing an abdominal binder? Do I have to administer blood thinner shots to myself after surgery? Will I have a private room? Have you ever had a patient that developed a leak?

Great questions! I am an RN also and didn't even think about asking about the drain. Wouldn't bother me either way, but good to know. Also didn't think about the catheter. Did you have one?

I did not have a drain or catheter. Surgeon did not use since the operation was only an hour.

I would ask about pain medications, both in the hospital and at home afterwards. I would also ask about the rate of complications such as blood clots and leaks

Good luck!

no drain.. catheter just during procedure. needed zero pain medicine. Blood thinnner shots??? to protect aganst blood clots you will be up and walking then next day and you want to walk every hour for like 10-15 minutes while in hospital.. Im sure they will go over all of this for u. Any question email me.

Chris

Thanks so much! Great suggestions. Keep them coming. I will let you all know how it goes.

Surgery is the 18th. I'll have a drain, no catheter, a catheter/tube thing that actually pumps anesthetic stuff inside me, I will have to give myself 10 days worth of blood thinner injections, I will have an abdominal binder, I'll have a private room.

They also use a drain Bc they do what's called a "blue ice test". You eat ice that's dyed blue and if no dye comes out of the drain it's another reassurance of no leak besides the other leak tests.

I had no drain and no catheter. I did have to administer blood thinner shots (Lovenox) for 10 days after surgery.

Other topics they will probably cover with you include:

• What pre-op diet is required, and for how many days?
  • If the pre-op diet is to include Protein shakes (and most do) what brands are acceptable?
  • What are the post-op diet requirements? e.g., What will you be allowed to have while in the hospital, and when will you be progressing to the next stage, and the next?
  • If there is a post-op diet stage that calls for full liquids (and there probably will be) what constitutes full liquids? My doc/NUT said it's anything that would go through a straw, but they didn't want post-op patients using a straw.
  • What restrictions will there be on lifting, and for how long?

My surgeon's office had most of this written out in a booklet for their new patients.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! Great suggestions. Keep them coming. I will let you all know how it goes.

Welcome to the boards, who are you going with?

I had no drain. But had a catheter that I didn't know about. Never thought to ask. I didn't have to give myself the blood thinners. The nurses gave them to me while there.

They kept me an extra day because my blood count was low. Thought I would need a blood transfusion, but I didn't. That was caused by all of the fluids they was pumping through the Iv's & blood thinners that really, really thinned my blood. Once the doctor discounted the IV, everything was ok. I was discharged after 48 hours with no problems.

Other than nauseous once or twice after discharge, it was pretty much smooth sailing for me.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! I really appreciate it.

I was so nervous this morning for my consult, but it went really well. I picked a surgeon from my husband's hometown, and they knew lots of the same people. It put us instantly at ease. He said that he would take good care of us. My husband used to work with his uncle a neurologist, and anyway, it's a small world.

I am going with Dr Emil Graf at Banner Gateway, just outside of Phoenix. They will soon be opening up the program on the west side at Banner Estrella and I hope to have my surgery there, as my husband is an RN on the floor I'll stay on. I've already picked out my nurses.

So, here's what I found out:

• No Drain or Cathetor
  • No Blood Thinner Shots at home-just orders to walk a lot
  • He does an EGD in the OR, and fills my stomach up looking for leaks from the inside and the outside. His leak rate is lower than his peers.
  • 2 week liquid pro op diet follwed by 1 day of clears, then 1 month of fulls, then soft
  • He thinks the sleeve is the perfect choice for me
  • NO diet or consultations needed. My insurance is awesome, and covers it 100% after a $2000 copay with no hoops to jump thorugh. No diet, or classes, or consultations required. Yay!

I also met with the nutritionist, and honestly, did not like her. She giggled and made jokes through the whole thing. I actually did not feel comfortable asking her questions when she asks them this way. : "I'm sure you're just dying to learn about viatamins....just kidding, I won't bore you with that stuff." Actually, yes, yes I would. I am waiting for the other center to be up and running and meet with the NUT there, and hope I click with her better. I'm all for joking and having a good time, but this is serious business to me. I need to learn what I need to do.

I scheduled my Psych eval for 3/5. That's the next step. EGD, and then surgery. My insurance is awesome and has no hoops to jump through. We are aiming for late May for surgery. I'm excited now, and not nearly as nervous.

Thanks again everyone!

Heather

I'm sorry your nutritionist was such a whack job. I really learned tons from all of my visits with mine and liked her a lot. Hopefully you'll like the other one much better.

Good luck and congrats on finding a surgeon that you really click with.

Surgery is the 18th. I'll have a drain, no catheter, a catheter/tube thing that actually pumps anesthetic stuff inside me, I will have to give myself 10 days worth of blood thinner injections, I will have an abdominal binder, I'll have a private room. They also use a drain Bc they do what's called a "blue ice test". You eat ice that's dyed blue and if no dye comes out of the drain it's another reassurance of no leak besides the other leak tests.

Jealous! Unless no one is already in my room I don't get a private room. SUCKS.

Well, we're gonna keep our fingers and toes crossed that you have one all to yourself SJ!! I was also happy to hear about that pain med thingie that pumps inside me. I'm all for that. Lol

Well, we're gonna keep our fingers and toes crossed that you have one all to yourself SJ!! I was also happy to hear about that pain med thingie that pumps inside me. I'm all for that. Lol

I don't think I have that either! Waaaaah. ;)

And yeah. I don't want a nose/mouth breather, a snorer, or if I am actually not passed the F out, to fight over the TV. I'll just ask for more pain meds to keep me asleep. Hahaha. (Jk)

Edited by Sarahjane79