Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Blend with Casein

So, I joined these forums specifically for this question, but I think I'll hang around for awhile. Yes, I know my medical team would have the best answer, however they are ever so hard to get hold of if you don't have an appointment.

So here goes. Originally I was told to use nothing but whey Protein and shoot for at least 20 gm per serving. For the last 14 or 15 months, I've been using Max Protein from SEI Pharmaceuticals. But it only comes in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Not very original.

So I've been looking around for protein supplements. So here are the questions:

1. - What's your absolutely favorite?

2. - I see a bunch of them that contain Casein. From my research, Casein is essentially a time-release protein because it gels up in the stomach when used as a supplement. Now, those of us with bypass surgery know that nothing time-release works well with us. Are you able to tolerate supplements with this type of protein in it? Most of it would probably be used in baking or cooking, not necessarily in simply shake format. The one I'm specifically interested in is MyoFusion Elite protein. I've heard good things about the taste.

I have to say the new science is that a combination of high quality whey Protein isolate and casein is best. I couldn’t tolerate Isopure or other 100% whey protein isolates. I found PEScience and the flavors are good. I mix one scoop of 24 grams protein PEScience with 6 oz Ripple milk (plant based unsweetened with zero sugar) and 2 oz Water. To get a 30 grams of Protein Shake.

Ive had Peanut Butter cookie, and Cookies and cream. Very low carb and little to no sugar.

https://pescience.com/

I dunno. ;) I've read that bypassers especially don't digest the casein Protein and so we need all isolate. But quite honestly the best protein sub is the one you can get down consistently. :) And not hurl from. Right? :) I'm just so thankful to be on the other side of that one and hope not to need to be pure Protein Drinks for weeks on end again.

I would just honestly find ones you like and drink those and if worried, then up consumption to go toward a max protein load like 80-100g per day of protein rather than 60-80g as a female?

The doc does protein levels on you including albumen and if they suspect issues, then pre-albumin which should catch any issues. And as soon as you the doc says, start replacing most of your protein with food sources.

Oh and I love:

Premier Protein (chocolate, bananas and cream, vanilla, caramel)

Isopure (bananas and cream, dutch chocolate, vanilla)

Synthrax nectar (lemon iced tea, grapefruit, fuzzy navel)

Cheers and good luck hon!

Edited by FluffyChix

My surgeon said any decent Protein is good doesnt matter if concentrate or isolate they differences are minimal.

The tip is to find the highest protein content per serve and lowest sugar, fat and carbs.

Some even come with added amino acids.

I bulk mine in bulk.

There's new studies that say casein is fine if it is in a blend with regular whey protein.

Whey protein releases quickly, casein releases slowly over the day and the fact it sits in your body is why it's fine.

The issue with slow release medication is different because the medicine will move through your body before it has time to release.

Obviously if you can afford to pay extra for pure isolate fine but even my doctor said it's mostly only athletes or gym junkies that go on about isolate when the actual figures are very similar I'll give you examples below of the ones I use.

WPI ISOLATE $40 kg

30g serve

112 calories

27g protein

0.3g Fat

0.8 carbs

WPC CONCENTRATE $30 kg

30g serve

120 calories

24g protein

1.7g Fat

2g carbs

So as you they are both good

WPI = 90% PROTEIN

WPC = 80% PROTEIN

So just find one that you can enjoy and the flavor you like because it is important part of your recovery.

Some people choose those Premix drinks from Premier Protein just be careful of sugars and additives

Enjoy

I think it refers to a Protein that’s 80% casein. I don’t think 100% isolate is good either.

https://www.thenutritiondr.com/single-post/2018/12/20/What-Protein-is-Best-after-Gastric-ByPass-Surgery

This is the protein I use. I don’t know the percentages but they put a lot of research into their products, even when it comes to flavors.

https://pescience.com/collections/all/products/select-protein?variant=185086083098

this is a bit confusing to me, maybe more because of how tired I am. I know it’s not the highest protein per portion it’s 24 grams so I use 6 ounces plant protein milk to make it 30 grams.

I find it oddly contradicting that my nutritionist says use skim milk when it’s very high in sugar, even fairlife is 6 grams. But she says no more than 4 grams of sugar in a meal. A lot of people can’t tolerate dairy after surgery. The non dairy milk I use is zero sugar. The protein depends on flavor but 2 grams or most are less than one gram of sugar the same for carbs. Peanut Butter cookie is 2 carbs, and Cookies and cream is less than one.

Do not buy to much of one type your tastes change after drinking the same thing over and over. Premier Protein lots of different flavors I use Vanilla in my coffee. Premier Protein Water has 20gm of Protein the Berry's are yummy. Muscle Milk has 25gms of Protein. Protein infused water Protein2o has 15gm of Protein. Most of these are at Target or Grocery store.