Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 months veteran - 25 from goal and why I dont post on forums

Hello Bandsters,

I had my surgery May 2012. I am 5 months from 2 year anniversary. I am very happy with my choice. I used to be on these forums sometimes daily. I desperately sought out advise and looked for "long timers" who were still successful because I needed to feel more reassured that it is the right thing to do. I never saw that many people that had years after surgery. Now I know why....

In my case, I am happy. I feel normal. I am 25 pounds from my goal. It has been slower than I wanted and imagined but I am still happy. I cannot imagine life without my band. It is such a normal part of my life and now that I don't even think to come back to the boards to read and post. I just did today b/c a friend had the procedure this week and it made me thing back.

What I love about the band is that I can be a normal person. I do not get sick like bypass patients (or what I have heard and seen with bypass patients - my aunt had it 10 years ago). I am healthy, I do not lack nutrients that my body needs b/c for the most part I am a normal eater, just a lot less. I cannot imagine eating like I did post band and I cannot imagine having the obsessive thoughts about food and dieting and losing weight that I did before. Now I just live a normal life. It is freedom. I love it. I gain from time to time but it is just a couple of pounds and it comes right off. I am still going down each month. It is slow and I am now okay with it bc I know I will get there over time. I have lost 85 pounds so far.

Problems: I have only had a few problems. I have had a few "sticks" that took a long time to get out. Once I got over filled and didn't listen to the warning signs and it caused a dialation. However, since I continued to go in for monthly aftercare (my choice), they caught it early and it was so easily fixed by a slight unfill for 3 weeks. I considered it a learning lesson to not get overfilled and to follow my rules better (smaller bites and eating slow). I got back on track and it was a mere speed bump. The few painful stuck episodes where b/c I did things I shouldn't like eating cold fried chicken skin. Any baster would know that is just stupid. You cannot chew that well enough. I deserved it. I didn't have to have anything done to fix it, just a long time in the bathroom to contemplate my mistake. Basically, any problem I have had has been b/c I wasn't following the rules. I tested what I could eat and learned the hard way. I tend to do most things that way but I learned my lesson. Sometimes I would try again and have to learn about. I have now learned that steak and I are not friends. I would have thought that would make me sad but I don't really care about it. bread is a testing thing. I am VERY careful when I try bread. White tortillas are off limits for me. I can eat Pasta (but I only eat angel hair and I am very careful and slow). Other than that, I am fine with anything and I just eat slow and follow the rules.

Changes since surgery: Things in my life have changed for the better. Since I am freed from the bondage of obsession about weight loss, low self esteem, and all that goes with it, I am able to just be happy. I have confidence, my sex life is better, my relationship is better, my work is better, I have more energy, I love to work out (I know that sounds crazy). Life is just good. I did have to learn how to deal with a few things differently. I learned that I really did use food to comfort myself so when I have a bad day now, I cannot turn to food. I have to go for a walk, work out, or just be okay with feeling shitting over a bad day. I cannot eat it away (I could with sliders) but not in the same way I used to do. Now I just have to find a different way to self soothe so to speak. That took time to do. It was a learning process but now I am more in touch with my feelings and what I need emotionally. That is a great thing also. I am also surprised when men notice me. It is such a weird thing. I will be walking or shopping or anything and I see a guy looking at me. I think "does he know me.....do I have my zipper down.... is food in my teeth, " then I realize, "no Katy, you just look nice today". I never thought that would happen. Overweight people have told me "you just don't know what it is like to struggle with weight loss". Then I am happy to tell them I know more than they ever could imagine and I share my story.

Clothing: I love shopping. I am not hung up on what size I am b/c any size it is in any given store is still 5 sizes smaller than before. I was a 22 and only at Lane Bryant. Now I can shop anywhere I want to. Some styles don't fit but body types are all different. I am either a size 12 to a 16 depending on the store, style, and cut. I feel good in all of it. I got to a goal of mine to buy skinny jeans and tall boots. I wear it last least once a week and feel sexy as hell. I got to buy lingerie and in normal sizes. I bought a bathing suite in Target and it looked good. I love to wear jeans and they are comfortable. I used to hate it b/c they felt horrible. Now it is like wearing sweat pants to me. I got to buy bras and Victoria Secrets and panties! They only down fall is spending too much money shopping. But I will take that!

Skin: I do not have loose skin like I thought it would be. There are areas I wish were tighter but I don't hate the way I look. I will likely save up for a Tummy Tuck later but I am happy where I am at. I just feel it would be the final thing to being different. I don't like my upper arms that much but workout out and lifting weights and short sleeve shirts do the trick. My boobs got smaller but it fits my body at were I am. I was a 44 DDD and I am a 36 D. I usually wear a tight spaghetti tank top under all of my clothes just to hold in any jiggle. It makes for a smooth look. But again, it isn't that big of a deal to me like I thought it would be.

Eating: As far as eating goes, it is easy. I don't think about it anymore. I sometimes get physically hungry and then I want to eat more, but I serve myself the 1/2 cup, promise myself it will fill me up. It always does but sometimes I have to wait for 10 minutes after eating for that feeling that I am satisfied to hit. But for the most part, 1/2 cup always does it for me. I have forgot to eat meals.....that concept was crazy to me before. I will say that eating Protein really matters. If you are eating carbs, you are going to feel hungry and want to snack more. Make sure you are getting protein. I can eat at restaurants, holidays, out with friends, have drinks, and no one can tell I am different. I am always the last to finish and if I haven't had time to eat my full 1/2 cup by the time everyone else has scarfed their food down, I quietly get a to go box and eat what I need later. I usually don't even want it then. Eating out took time to learn. I got more stuck food at restaurants b/c I wouldn't eat slow enough or I would try stuff I knew I shouldn't. But now it is very normal to eat out. I feel like what I always imagined non-over weight people to feel like. I eat to get what I need, I don't think about it, I live my life and I don't care about the scale anymore. It is more freedom than I can imagine. I don't fear I will fail at this. I know I can go back to my Dr anytime and get assistance if I have issues. I will always go in 2x a year to ensure things are safe and I am happy with that. One weird thing for me is that I will get the hicupps when I have eaten a little too much (if I didn't measure my food or I am eating out). I have learned that is my body's stop sign. I obey it. If I don't, I get too full. It is a nice warning sign for me. If you are blessed to have a "warning sign" like hiccups, listen to it.

Forums: If you are searching for long time bandsters on this site and fearful that it is a sign that many fail, I think it is the other way around. It is just that banded life becomes so normal and good for us that we do not need to turn to the support of the boards. We don't think about it. We are just out their living our lives, shopping at Victoria Secrets, eating out with friends, having drinks, working out, feeling happy. It is a new normal and it feels great. I would have never thought about coming back to the site if it was not for my friend going through this process. It made me recall my last 18 months and recall how I use to spend hours on this site searching for answers. I would advise if you are going to have surgery just to go to all of your aftercare appts, follow the rules, have patience (especially in the beginning few months) and welcome a new life.

I just wanted to post this for anyone that it might help. If it doesn't or you have had a bad experience with the band, I am sorry. I am not judgmental of anyone's struggle. I just wanted to share a few thoughts. I may not respond b/c, like I said, I just don't come here often. But I will try to do so if anyone wants or needs help.

Best wishes to everyone searching for their own freedom from obesity. Lots of love!

Katy

Thank you, Katy, for the wonderful and inspiring story!

So happy for you, Katy! Thanks for taking the time to post. Very inspiring! I keep reminding myself this is a lifestyle change -- it's great to read about the ways you have changed your life and how well the band is working for you. I'm very excited at three months out to be feeling many of those things you mention -- that relief from thinking about food, the taking pleasure in exercise and participating in my life in new ways all the time. I look forward to being a year out and then two.....it's a long game, this, but I am so up for it. Here's to really showing up in our lives and no longer using food to numb feelings or fill gaps. Yes, it's hard sometimes navigating everything and finding patience, learning to like working out, etc., but when I think about those sizes going down, down, down I feel so lucky to have taken this step. Thank you again for a wonderful post and best wishes to your friend.

Very Well said....you obviously "Get It"

It is after all, really very simple....getting there can be difficult for some, but a new lifestyle is the key...

Like you said, so much so you don't even think about it....

I hope many people read your success story....

And your right...many successful veterans do not come here anymore....there is not much to gain, the majority of people here are just starting out....

When I first came here 3 years ago, there were many successful veterans who posts I would follow intently...I do not see any of them anymore...does not mean they are still not successful, just moving on enjoying their new life...

Edited by B-52

Excellent post!

That was an EXCELLENT post Katy...thanks for your honest story and for putting it all out there for us to see and learn from. It is great to see a success story out and about and just doing their thing.

Hope you pop in once and a while to check on those still working on the beginning of their long term journeys....veterans are such a great resource!

thanks again!

Awesome post, thanks for sharing the details of your journey! I for one can't wait till I'm where you are ! You just made me more anxious to get there!, thanks and congrats !

great post Katy!!! Thanks for the update and details.

Wow!!! What an amazing testament. Thanks for sharing your story and continued success.

I just realized that it posted my old attachment of current weight. That is all wrong, for those that noticed that, I started at 280 and I am at 195 and have about 25 to goal now...... :)

I forgot how to change that thing that attached with the weight ticker.......it has been so long.

Thanks for all of the comments.