Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have smoked for many years and I smoked 2 days after my surgery. It helped a lot with nausea and pains! surprisingly & luckily I do not get the munchies at all! I made sure to take very small hits so I wouldn't cough. It hasn't caused any ill effects or stopped my losing. I'm 8 weeks out and down 62 lbs since surgery :)

There are lots of ways to help with the munchies! I probably would avoid smoking while you're healing just because you don't want to put your stomach through anything crazy in case you DO overeat. I tend to look go for easy to make, filling, low call foods when I have the munchies. Most of the time you just want flavor in your mouth or something to much on, it doesn't have to be doritos lol! I actually like making one of the recipes from my pre-op surgery (with a small twist) which was a chicken broth Soup. 1 Bullion cube, spices of your choice (I use all natural adobo, paprika, a pinch of salt, a dot of olive oil, boil and stir). It's barely any calories (maybe 10-15 cal?), and when you are high it tastes like it came from a restaurant. Another thing I like to do is baby carrots or celery with hummus or some Peanut Butter, just make sure to portion out while still sober :P I also like taking frozen fruits and throwing into my blender to make gelato :) The #1 thing is to make sure you make smart choices before you smoke and if you're with friends explain your situation, and ask them to help you out if they catch you over eating. I've also written letters to my high self while sober :P As long as you're responsible before hand, you should be fine :)

. Veronica your post really made my night, finally someone who gets it...I plan on stopping soon because I'm on my second class and I'm about to start some cardio classes to build lungs and heart and will not smoke while I'm recovering...but I can't say 6 months down the line I won't spark up, also thank u for the recipes and other tips, when was you surgery I'm getting nervous..

I have smoked for many years and I smoked 2 days after my surgery. It helped a lot with nausea and pains! surprisingly & luckily I do not get the munchies at all! I made sure to take very small hits so I wouldn't cough. It hasn't caused any ill effects or stopped my losing. I'm 8 weeks out and down 62 lbs since surgery :)

. Thank u so much and congrats on your 62lbs loss, how is your skin any saggy areas, people scar me with the saggy skin and hair falling out post

. Thank u so much and congrats on your 62lbs loss, how is your skin any saggy areas, people scar me with the saggy skin and hair falling out post

Thanks! I'm still pretty early out but my skin is tightening up in the areas I'm losing most in, but I'm sure my skin will become saggy especially in my arms and stomach the more I lose! none of my hair is falling out more than usual at least not yet! I'm praying I'm somehow lucky and it doesn't! Those are the 2 things I'm most scared of but I will have to deal if or when it happens!

Sure thing RB! :) Glad I could make you feel better about it!

I'm about 2 1/2 years almost to the day of my surgery. Don't be nervous about it! My husband and I both did our surgeries together and we regret nothing!! It's literally changed our lives!

I did the band, so it's not as fast in the weight loss department as the other two. Also doesn't help that I lost my health insurance 3 months after my surgery :( I had to pay for fills out of pocket, so I rarely did them unfortunately. By now I've found my 'sweet spot' but due to my circumstances it took me a little longer than other people :P

The best part of the band is that it really shows you how to eat, which I think the other surgeries don't, not that you can't learn how to on the others! I just think it's a good trade off for not loosing the weight as fast as the other surgeries. You eat something like pancakes or Bagels, and your body just thinks "Wow, that was a really unpleasant experience...I think I'm satisfied with the 2 bites I had". I used to love pancakes but now I'm never really in the mood for them, and if I have them, I wont even finish one. It's kinda like that feeling you get after eating too much of a food you like, throwing up, and not wanting to eat it again for sometime. I'm not sad at all for my lack of interest in pancakes anymore...It's weird how the band re-wires your brain.

With that I've become very aware of my health. I eat very clean, whole foods, and exercise at least 4 times a week.

So since I changed my lifestyle I decided to tweak my smoking habits too, which is why I have those recipes. I also switched last year to using a vaporizer exclusively. You can find some decent ones online for like $40! The benefit is that you're not burning the weed so you don't get any carcinogens from the burning plant matter nor the burning bleached white paper. You only get vapor from a vaporizer because the weed is being heated to release the THC but not burning. It goes down smooth, and it hasn't effected me while I'm at the gym. And I do intense workouts, so I can assure you it's easy on the lungs!

Which surgery are you doing RB? :)

. Veronica your post really made my night, finally someone who gets it...I plan on stopping soon because I'm on my second class and I'm about to start some cardio classes to build lungs and heart and will not smoke while I'm recovering...but I can't say 6 months down the line I won't spark up, also thank u for the recipes and other tips, when was you surgery I'm getting nervous..

Sure thing RB! :) Glad I could make you feel better about it! I'm about 2 1/2 years almost to the day of my surgery. Don't be nervous about it! My husband and I both did our surgeries together and we regret nothing!! It's literally changed our lives! I did the band, so it's not as fast in the weight loss department as the other two. Also doesn't help that I lost my health insurance 3 months after my surgery :( I had to pay for fills out of pocket, so I rarely did them unfortunately. By now I've found my 'sweet spot' but due to my circumstances it took me a little longer than other people :P The best part of the band is that it really shows you how to eat, which I think the other surgeries don't, not that you can't learn how to on the others! I just think it's a good trade off for not loosing the weight as fast as the other surgeries. You eat something like pancakes or Bagels, and your body just thinks "Wow, that was a really unpleasant experience...I think I'm satisfied with the 2 bites I had". I used to love pancakes but now I'm never really in the mood for them, and if I have them, I wont even finish one. It's kinda like that feeling you get after eating too much of a food you like, throwing up, and not wanting to eat it again for sometime. I'm not sad at all for my lack of interest in pancakes anymore...It's weird how the band re-wires your brain. With that I've become very aware of my health. I eat very clean, whole foods, and exercise at least 4 times a week. So since I changed my lifestyle I decided to tweak my smoking habits too, which is why I have those recipes. I also switched last year to using a vaporizer exclusively. You can find some decent ones online for like $40! The benefit is that you're not burning the weed so you don't get any carcinogens from the burning plant matter nor the burning bleached white paper. You only get vapor from a vaporizer because the weed is being heated to release the THC but not burning. It goes down smooth, and it hasn't effected me while I'm at the gym. And I do intense workouts, so I can assure you it's easy on the lungs! Which surgery are you doing RB? :)

I'm so late Hun, how have you been I'm doing ok think I will puff my last puff today which I should have had weeks ago I'm having the sleeve.

Aww, well that's OK. Everyone has to do what works best for them. To be honest, I very rarely smoked that first year after my surgery. After I felt more comfortable and knew how to eat properly I started up again. I still don't regret it. Still loosing weight and still vaping 3-4 times a week! Only 24 more lbs to go :)

Sure thing RB! :) Glad I could make you feel better about it! I'm about 2 1/2 years almost to the day of my surgery. Don't be nervous about it! My husband and I both did our surgeries together and we regret nothing!! It's literally changed our lives! I did the band, so it's not as fast in the weight loss department as the other two. Also doesn't help that I lost my health insurance 3 months after my surgery :( I had to pay for fills out of pocket, so I rarely did them unfortunately. By now I've found my 'sweet spot' but due to my circumstances it took me a little longer than other people :P The best part of the band is that it really shows you how to eat, which I think the other surgeries don't, not that you can't learn how to on the others! I just think it's a good trade off for not loosing the weight as fast as the other surgeries. You eat something like pancakes or Bagels, and your body just thinks "Wow, that was a really unpleasant experience...I think I'm satisfied with the 2 bites I had". I used to love pancakes but now I'm never really in the mood for them, and if I have them, I wont even finish one. It's kinda like that feeling you get after eating too much of a food you like, throwing up, and not wanting to eat it again for sometime. I'm not sad at all for my lack of interest in pancakes anymore...It's weird how the band re-wires your brain. With that I've become very aware of my health. I eat very clean, whole foods, and exercise at least 4 times a week. So since I changed my lifestyle I decided to tweak my smoking habits too, which is why I have those recipes. I also switched last year to using a vaporizer exclusively. You can find some decent ones online for like $40! The benefit is that you're not burning the weed so you don't get any carcinogens from the burning plant matter nor the burning bleached white paper. You only get vapor from a vaporizer because the weed is being heated to release the THC but not burning. It goes down smooth, and it hasn't effected me while I'm at the gym. And I do intense workouts, so I can assure you it's easy on the lungs! Which surgery are you doing RB? :)

I'm so late Hun, how have you been I'm doing ok think I will puff my last puff today which I should have had weeks ago I'm having the sleeve.

I quit smoking regular cigs before my surgery and have since picked them up again. I am not proud of that. I really need to stop but I enjoy them too much. I quit before by switching to a vape and will probably do the same again soon.

I quit smoking pot about a week before my surgery and started again about a week after. It helped with pain when I didn't want to take my pain pills. I do it about once a week now. I have always had munchies but I always make sure that I put the food away before I smoke so I am not tempted to eat mindlessly while high. If I do choose to eat something, I munch on peanuts. Kool aid with Splenda is a nice taste while high too.

I quit two months before surgery and started again shortly after (which I do not advocate). The truth is, while smoking is not in alignment with the radiant health I ultimately wish to achieve, being forced to quit so I could have the surgery was not a good enough reason to keep me dedicated to staying off smokes over the long term. In addition, weight loss surgery innately changes so much, and it seems unfair to ask that a person gives up all their worst habits and addictions all at once: nicotine, sugar, carbs, binging, the way it innately changes food centered social constructs, letting go of old ideas about yourself, your body changing rapidly. It's just a lot to bear. Chemically, it really makes it harder and more emotional. I'm not proud to be a smoker, but like with anything, to give it up for good your heart has to be in it. I'll do it when I'm ready for my own reasons. It's a personal journey and other people cannot judge or dictate a "should" to you. Only you can do it.