Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone scared to eat when newly banded?

Ellie all! Today I am 1 week banded. Im doing fantastic (thank God) feeling no hunger at all. I'm nervous to start eating real food though. Reading about stuck episodes freaks me out. Suggestions? Thanks!

Very few banders make it through the first 90 days with no fills. Usually in the first 2 weeks post-op your pouch and stoma site is swollen from all the trauma during surgery so you get the same effect as someone who's had 2-3 fills. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and not need any fills but the swelling will go down eventually. X your fingers and follow your doctors orders.

Re: Stuck episodes. Avoid them, take very small bites, chew chew chew, eat very slowly. Just the basics can help you avoid being stuck, but again, very few people avoid being stuck. It's not that big a deal anyway. In fact, it's a sign in the beginning that your band is working it's magic but you're not obeying the rules. Good luck.

tmf

heck, i was afraid to take my pills in the morning. and i had a lot of them. while in the hospital the nurse made me sit there in the chair taking them one at a time and chewing them or crushing them. it took a hour just to take pills. so when it came to food i was equally scared. but i found that everything went through without problems including my pills. just take your first bite or sip of anything and let it pass through. it will give you an idea how swollen you still are.

I remember this feeling so well. The first little glass of Water they gave me the evening after my morning surgery I just sipped...took me an hour to drink 4 oz.

You'll gain confidence as you move through the food stages. But feeling fearful is completely normal, don't worry.

Now, 10 months post-op, I never even pace my Water drinking...although if I guzzle, my band lets me know about it! But I'm a long way away from taking an hour to drink 4 oz, for sure.

Always hesitant about introducing new foods! It's all about trial and error I'm thinking! Got stuck once and never want to go there again but it was my own fault , I was eating to fast! So now it's about " slow and chew chew chew".

Very natural to feel nervous about starting back on foods. This is a great time to be practicing mindfulness -- really noticing everything, using small plates and utensils, taking inventory of what you are doing. Congratulations on your surgery and welcome to banded life. I am not quite three months out and so happy!

I can remember feeling this way. Just take it slow and introduce all new things slowly and take baby steps.

I remember asking myself will my band like this or that? I took it slow and made sure I chew chew chew and chew. Good luck

I am pretty much the same as everyone else. It only takes one time of getting stuck that you won't want that to happen again. It will probably happen several time, but at least I am more careful. I tend to eat fast and have for years so usually that is the reason I get stuck. I have had 3 fills now and I have to be careful with steak, or just meat in general. I just have to remind myself, sloooowwww down and chew, chew, chew.

Yes, I remember being scared but just followed my doctor's orders. If I forgot, I had my lapband book to guide me.

Edited by Lady VS

Which book is that lady?

It is The Lap-Band Solution by Dr. Paul O'Brien. Compliments of True Results where I had my surgery.

I had some Greek yogurt. Went down well. What do you guys suggest I eat hummus with?

I think everyone is scared in the beginning. Just take your time. Make sure you chew your food well. You will find the right pace for you and for your band. I'm just over a month out and I too, am dreading that first stuck episode. I know it will happen eventually but I just try to be mindful of the types of food I eat making sure to introduce new foods slowly and I try to eat slow and chew everything to mush. So far, it's working but I don't have much fill either so I'm sure it's going to get harder as I have more fill added.