Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tailbone pain since weight loss

I tried to reply to a thread mentioning this but apparently I don't have enough posts to post I that forum.. My only major concern since loosing 113 lbs has been my extremely sore buttocks. I am experiencing immense discomfort sitting now that my tailbone is exposed with no cushion. My tailbone seems to be sticking out further that anything else now so when I sit all my weight titres on it and it can be very painful. In fact when I sit up from a lying position I have to roll onto my side because otherwise it causes a lot of pain. I have told my dr about it but I can't seem to get him or anyone else to take me seriously. I have requested a special seat from an occupational therapist for my office job but honestly I am starting to wish they could just remove some of the bone. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anything helped?

Last week i have been having same pain. I did find it odd.

HAHAHA.. I have it also!! Hey if thats the worse then oh well!!!

Christian

I get it too - mostly if I'm sitting down for longer than half an hour.

I have read that, after a lot of weight loss, posture is different and can cause back problems or worsening of back problems - don't know if that includes the tail bone, though.

Yes I first noticed when I sat in the tub. Its because we dont have the extra padding there. If I could only tell my body where I want the weight to come off, I would take this stomach of mine and place it on my backside!

I'm not having tailbone specific problems, but sitting for more than ~20 minutes is uncomfortable. My whole backside gets sore.

I'm focusing on building up my glutes to help with this. Adding more muscle back there will hopefully give me some relief.

HumorMe00, I'm with you, building muscle will help.

It's no laughing matter, newoutlookonlife, I have problems in long meetings if I am on a hard seat - find myself shifting from cheek to cheek in a way that must look very odd!!! So building up the muscles that have wasted from rapid weight loss might just help. Pilates is good for that because you can target your butt and see good results in a matter of a few weeks.

I have a lot of tailbone pain now and have never had any issues before. My sister who is also wls also has tailbone pain. I don't hear this complaint from thin people who've not had wls and wonder if it is something that happens to people who lose a lot of weight?

When I sit down for longer than 10 minutes my backside hurt also. The doctor said it was because of less padding.

This was really painful for me at one point too. My hip bones and tail bone both. It was miserable! The answer was to work out and build my posterior. I spent my summer cycling hundreds and hundreds of miles and listening to booty songs - lol - for inspiration. (Baby got back, Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, Rump Shaker... you get the idea!). I also added a few lbs back to my frame from my lowest weight. At 5'6" 123/124 was too low, ultimately. Now I fluctuate between 130-135 depending on my level of exercise. More exercise = more weight. It has really helped to build my glutes.

Well guess it is normal then good to know

I understand what you are talking about, I find myself being uncomfortable and not able to sit to long because of the pain I have with my tailbone.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I assumed I would not be alone I just wish it wasn't so painful. I will work on finding some more glute excercises. I have been doing Zumba and some yoga but struggle with some of the parts that require me to sit or sit up from a lying position.. Especially with the ab exercises as it's super painful. I also find that I shift form one butt cheek to another regularity which has greatly impacted my posture and increased my headaches that I was finally rid of. I just never thought that this would become such a pain in my ass.. Literally :)