Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets struggling with 5:2.. there may be an alternative !

The intermittent fasting seems to be the ticket for vets in a rut like myself. I gained 7-8 pounds back from my all time low over the last year. (I am 2.5 years out)

Unfortunately I am not able to only consume 500 calories or less per day. I wish I had the will power to do it!!!!

BUT I started a similar idea at the first of the year and I am down 3.5lbs!!!

It’s called the 8 hour diet. It’s simple. You eat 8 hours of the day only, the other 16 you fast. (you drink Water or other beverages with no calories.) Basically you can eat whatever in the 8 hours with in moderation, but no need to restrict calories significantly.

So far so good!!! It is surprisingly easy for me to follow. I have also been shooting for high Protein, lowerish carb, (but I am reasonable, I have still been getting my white chocolate iced espresso daily from Caribou coffee!!) and I have been at the gym which also helps.

I haven’t seen the scale move DOWN in more than a year I’d say!

I work 2nd shift as a nurse, so I have slightly different hours to eat then some of you might… but this is what I do:

I eat Breakfast at about 11:30am, and then I can eat a snack around 2 or 3 and have dinner at 7-7:30 then I don’t eat again until 11:30am the next day. I thought it would be hard but it’s not! Also the book I read regarding the plan does say even if you follow this 4-5 days a week you will still see results. (google 8 hour diet for more info)

This plan seems to give your body a chance to use stored fat for energy. I feel great! Also the plan recommends a brief 8 min “workout” just before you break the fast in the morning. (I will lift my 5 pound dumb bells and push-ups and go up and down the stairs a few times.

I am very optimistic, I know I have only been following the plan for 10 days but I am excited to be on the loser’s bench again. I will keep everyone posted, I can’t wait to weigh myself tomorrow!!

5:2 uses the same concept but you are reducing input also. In effect, you ARE fasting 16 hours a day. On 5:2, most recommend the same but reduce your calories to 25% of normal TDEE. We use 500 or 550 thereabouts.

It's what you make up your mind to do. I'm so glad to hear you are losing again. If it is working then it's YOUR plan. You are basically watching carbs too so following the 8 hour rule along with it allows your body time to work.

I have read about the 8 hour diet and think it is very valid and have thought about giving it a try myself. The biggest difference is you do it everyday instead of twice a week, but the restriction in calories is not there. 5:2=500 calories in a 8 hour window with 16 hours of fasting twice a week. The 8-hour diet is eating all your calories within an 8 hour period everyday, having a 16 hour fast every day, without restriction calories. The only problem I could forsee is someone making it a free for all in those 8 hours, which would defeat the purpose. Just like going crazy on your "feast" days on the 5:2 would defeat the purpose. There is no calories "restrictions" in those 8 hours but common sense and healthy choices is still important. Sleeve of Steel, keep us posted, I would love to keep hearing on how your doing on this. I think I might be able to stick to this type of plan better as well.

I agree with Georgia, since doing the 5:2 in June, I rarely eat Breakfast - the earliest I eat will be around 11am - the latest I eat is 10pm, so there is a regular fast window of 12 hrs daily ... sometimes, I can do 16hrs but I do struggle, I think if I put my mind to it and organised my days better it would be doable. It certainly stops snacking!

keep us updated on your progress and keep up the good work... that regain will be gone very soon =]

Oh my! This sounds like a fabulous plan. :) For myself all I'd really need to do is not snack at night. Oh yeah, that's as easy as it sounds... *snark*

Thanks for sharing! I'm def going to look it up and please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!

SNacking at night is the hardest. I do the 8 hour eating with. My 5:2 plan. Can be really really good 2 days a week. This may be making 5:2 work for me. Keeping hope!

Welcome back diva!!!! Keep us posted.

I am loving this plan.... down 5.6 pounds in 15 days. Any one else having any luck ??

I am really working on getting the Protein in as well, (100 grams per day) and when I have carbs I eat them with Protein, my trainer at Lifetime recommends this.

I am also working out 4-5 days a week with weights. about 40-50 mins a day. :) :) :)

I just changed my goal weight to 155, a number I saw last on the scale in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Feeling attainable. Thanks everyone for kind words of wisdom.

Sleeve, that is awesome! Do you actually count calories at all in your window or just healthy choices?? I haven't tried it yet, but really thinking of it more and more!

Sleeve, that is awesome! Do you actually count calories at all in your window or just healthy choices?? I haven't tried it yet, but really thinking of it more and more!

I am more about counting Protein.... but I track on myfitnesspal and I have been anywhere between 1100-2200 calories and eveywhere in between.

That is basically what I did to lose my regain. I did do 5:2 and the 500 calories for awhile but I lost my 15 lbs fairly quickly when I couldn't do it in a year that I had tried. The no snacking at night was the key I am sure. That was the bad habit I had trouble breaking.

Now I have my 100 calorie pack of cocoa dusted almonds or a sf fudge bar at 9 or 10 and fast until around 11 am when I head to the gym. I still try to do lower calories on mon and thurs. . It's good, cause I might have a slight gain from the weekend.

Excellent suggestion. I started doing 16 hour fast this week, and lost 2 pounds. I've been struggling to get any weight off since November, and the loss has just slowed down. I try to eat the same amount of calories I was eating, about 800-1000/day. It's the only way weight comes off. I do think the limited time helps curb the extra few calories I was putting in my mouth closer to bed, which also helps. But I could see once I hit maintenance, I could do this 5 days a week, and loosen up a little on weekends. Guess I'll see when I get there. Thanks for a great suggestion, and glad to see your success with it!

Excellent suggestion. I started doing 16 hour fast this week, and lost 2 pounds. I've been struggling to get any weight off since November, and the loss has just slowed down. I try to eat the same amount of calories I was eating, about 800-1000/day. It's the only way weight comes off. I do think the limited time helps curb the extra few calories I was putting in my mouth closer to bed, which also helps. But I could see once I hit maintenance, I could do this 5 days a week, and loosen up a little on weekends. Guess I'll see when I get there. Thanks for a great suggestion, and glad to see your success with it!

Awesome!! So glad to hear you are having some success with this too. This is totally the ticket for me. I am at my lowest weight post op ever!!! ( I am 2.5 years post op) :-) Keep me posted!

I may have to try this-

thanks!

Not to throw a wrench into things, but anybody heard about the "5 bite" eating plan? Based on RNY and the way WLS patients end up eating. Saw it on dr Oz. Kinda interesting