Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you happier now that you are thinner?

I understand where she is coming from; however, I love myself smaller. I'm greatful I don't have the doctor bills plus medication that comes along with being morbidly obese. I'm no longer "at risk".

More I read that article the more it sounds to me like she is trying to convince herself that she is happy.

Yep. I agree.

I would not know how to begin to answer that question, other than to say YES!

What is there NOT to be happy about?

1)..I'm Alive!!! Where as I should be dead right now...no exaggeration...this surgery WAS a last resort!

2) My health has been restored almost 100%...no meds, no diabetes, no high cholesterol, BP, Triglycerides, etc, etc...ALL NORMAL!

3) I go to the gym almost everyday, run 5 miles and do weights, etc...where before I would get out of breath carrying groceries into the house.

4) My Social Life has changed 180 degrees...I have never been so self confident, a positive self image, more out going....and yes, people are more friendly and acceptable to thin, fit people than they are to the Obese...sadly it's true, and discussed here many times.... now I am pulled into their social bubble....strangers act as though they have always known me...

4) Because I am more outgoing and confident, and people trend to be more friendly with me...my career has been dramatically improved, which means I have become more successful and therefore more $$$

5) I am at a normal weight, body fat, and as long as the band remains a constant, I have no fear of ever gaining weight again!!! I have no fear of overeating!!! I have no fear, and very little interest in food or eating - No Hunger (Green Zone) DIET is a four letter word not to be spoken.....

I can go on and on...but it has truly CHANGED MY LIFE.....and I am not ashamed to admit it, or make excuses to play it down....

What is there NOT to be Happy About?.......only thing I can think of is all the clothes I had to give away...I changed my entire wardrobe at least twice....

Also, I am 62 years old...if only I did this 25 years ago instead of all those silly diet schemes.....

Seems that person in the article is happy because she does not worry about constantly dieting anymore to achieve something...it was hard work for her to loose weight, making the experience unpleasant?

Thank heaven this WLS does not have to be that kind of struggle....but a happy new way of life...only struggle was LEARNING.....

People may have a problem with my success...but that is their problem, not mine....

Edited by B-52

Seems that person in the article is happy because she does not worry about constantly dieting anymore to achieve something...it was hard work for her to loose weight, making the experience unpleasant?

Thank heaven this WLS does not have to be that kind of struggle....but a happy new way of life...only struggle was LEARNING.....

I think this is the key B-52, she was not unhappy with all the benefits of weight loss, she was unhappy with the work that it took to lose it and maintain it afterwards, as well as the anxiety of the failure that she knew would eventually come. For me that is the difference now, versus pre-WLS, I don't have the anxiety about it.

I will play devils advocate here, I read the article in depth and the way it sounds like she has "tried" to get thin, and has not been successful in "keeping" her weight down, so she has decided come to terms with being "thick" and "love" herself.

Contrary to belief -- THERE ARE MANY HEALTHY OBESE PEOPLE....I WAS ONE OF THEM.....

I have friends that have never been fat a day in their life and now they are in their late 40's early 50's and have to take a boat load of medications for high blood pressure, some are even borderline diabetics....

Heck me and my niece grew up together and she has always weighed 120 pounds from high school, college and marriage, I was always envious because she wore a size 4-6 when we younger and growing up and I was constantly fighting my weight and she seemed to keep it down with little or no effort....

HOWEVER --- when you dig deep into her slim life along with my other girlfriends they had HEALTH problems that was keeping them THIN....so sometimes everyone who is THIN is not HEALTHY.....

Sure there are many obese people that sweat, high blood pressure, have breathing problems, have problems with hygiene due to being obese....have MANY health issues...BUT MANY obese people do NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE ISSUES...I DID NOT.

Some women are probably HAPPY being a little THICK, since they don't have to kill themselves starving themselves, and being hateful to others because they are STARVING....to stay thin...

There are MANY UNHAPPY THIN women, I have met many men who say they are sick and tired of "Bitchy" thin women who are obsessed with the scale and won't cook dinner or who have disgusting eating disorders.. and the end up leaving these UNHAPPY scale obsessed women for THICKER women who are happy and will cook a good meal...LOL....

So I can UNDERSTAND this woman's point of view, however in her picture she seems to be THICK...perhaps her view of being HAPPY AND BIG would change if she became severely obese with severe health problems.

Heck the AVERAGE size woman in the US is a size 14, MEN have been polled to ask what is their IDEAL size woman and a size 6 was NOT THEIR ANSWER...

Here is an article on the subject many men PREFER women healthy size 14..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2029680/What-men-REALLY-want-brown-haired-blue-eyed-size-14-woman.html

So...the moral of my post is -- maybe she IS REALLY HAPPY that she can still eat all the foods she love, don't have to kill herself at the gym and still wear nice clothes and is happily married, despite not being a size 6 she IS still happy.

Also based on her picture she seemed a bit THICK, but not severely obese, perhaps that is why she says she's "Happy".

Edit to add: My reasoning for getting the Lap Band was not really based on health reason....I just wanted to get thinner to wear cute clothes...LOL...I know vain but that's my truth and deal with the professional world...however it was much harder to move around at 300 pounds than now...but overall I did not have any ill health effects when I was obese.

Edited by NaNa

You really hit the nail on the head! I have gotten a $20k salary increase...out of nowhere. I've been here 9 years...you can't tell me it's not because I'm suddenly much more attractive, and self-confident!

1)..I'm Alive!!! Where as I should be dead right now...no exaggeration...this surgery WAS a last resort!

2) My health has been restored almost 100%...no meds, no diabetes, no high cholesterol, BP, Triglycerides, etc, etc...ALL NORMAL!

3) I go to the gym almost everyday, run 5 miles and do weights, etc...where before I would get out of breath carrying groceries into the house.

4) My Social Life has changed 180 degrees...I have never been so self confident, a positive self image, more out going....and yes, people are more friendly and acceptable to thin, fit people than they are to the Obese...sadly it's true, and discussed here many times.... now I am pulled into their social bubble....strangers act as though they have always known me...

4) Because I am more outgoing and confident, and people trend to be more friendly with me...my career has been dramatically improved, which means I have become more successful and therefore more $$$

5) I am at a normal weight, body fat, and as long as the band remains a constant, I have no fear of ever gaining weight again!!! I have no fear of overeating!!! I have no fear, and very little interest in food or eating - No Hunger (Green Zone) DIET is a four letter word not to be spoken.....

I can go on and on...but it has truly CHANGED MY LIFE.....and I am not ashamed to admit it, or make excuses to play it down....

What is there NOT to be Happy About?.......only thing I can think of is all the clothes I had to give away...I changed my entire wardrobe at least twice....

Also, I am 62 years old...if only I did this 25 years ago instead of all those silly diet schemes.....

People may have a problem with my success...but that is their problem, not mine....

You really hit the nail on the head! I have gotten a $20k salary increase...out of nowhere. I've been here 9 years...you can't tell me it's not because I'm suddenly much more attractive, and self-confident!

It is a sad fact, but unfortunately true...obese people are discriminated against, and looked upon less than a normal weight person.....

Being thin has opened more doors to me than before...I am easily and graciously accepted ...

And, as much as I hate to say it,...many people do not know me when I was Obese....and now that I am on the "Other Side" I am privy to hearing other people's discussions....

And a lot of it surrounds the theory that if you are Obese, then you are high risk for serious medical problems, equaling high insurance rates, loss of work time, etc, etc...

I know it is not nice to hear....

you can be (thin) and not healthy

what matters is someone being (healthy).

that is all i wanted to say here....as i will never ever be (thin)

by by dawg, i am healthy and will be even more so as i lose more weight..

It is a sad reality that people judge. They judge you if your overweight, or if your blond and perky too.

So I am always happy being me, no matter my size. Being healthy only increases my happiness...and that is what motivates me every day!

We were on the same wave there for a sec CG! I posted almost the same exact message at the same time! Healthy and Happy!!! If we could add a little warmth to my day out there now that would be bliss!!!

I'm not necessarily happier. I think I was always a happy person but I am definitely more confident. Nah, I think I am happier too! LOL

Ok, PrettyThick!

You make some good points! Unfortunately it's VERY SAD that we live in a "visual" society were some people will judge your intelligence based on size.

I work in the corporate world and YES I got MORE contracts with a LOT more money after I'd got to a size 10 versus being a size 24, was it fair? NO, but it does happen, however --- I was not a size 24 that long, but I was a size 18 for A LONG TIME...and I never felt any type of discrimination due to size, because I was always GOOD at my job and I had very good skills.

However, when I gained some weight back in 2012 and went back up to a size 18 ~gulp~ I honestly WAS NOT treated ANY different than when I was a size 10...but I will tell you this..

When I was a size 20 and newly divorced, about 15 years ago and single, I honestly GOT MANY dates, ....in fact I married my second husband when I was size 20...LOL...

When I got my lap band and lost about 100 pounds, I went on Match.com and I will tell you, I had more dinner dates that I could handle I was a size 14 at this time...I honestly had to fight guys off when I went to the grocery store and out and about...it was overwhelming to get that type of attention both at work and home....

Honestly -- when I got my lowest weight size 8 -- my family would tell me how "old" I looked....my looks started to fade the skinnier I got with my lap band, I noticed I was not as "cute" in the face...lol the smaller I got...I was not a 25 year old in a size 8, I was a 40 something year old woman, at 5'7 inches tall and a size 8 was NOT PRETTY on ME....

I met my current husband when I was a size 8 and he later told me, I did not look that great at that size....and that he tried to fattened me up...

So the moral of this post IS...there is a HUGE difference of being a size 12/14 and a size 24/26....

Men love curvy "Thick" women not necessarily FAT women..

Edited by NaNa

Yes, I am happier, but some of that happiness was hard-won. A lower weight and smaller body and clothing size have not cured all the tough stuff in my life. I've had to go through a lot of mental re-alignment and even more attitude adjustments. I've had to learn how to deal with the tough stuff without medicating myself with food. And so on and so forth. But on the whole, being smaller makes me feel emotionally bigger and stronger.

Ok, PrettyThick!

You make some good points! Unfortunately it's VERY SAD that we live in a "visual" society were some people will judge your intelligence based on size.

I work in the corporate world and YES I got MORE contracts with a LOT more money after I'd got to a size 10 versus being a size 24, was it fair? NO, but it does happen, however --- I was not a size 24 that long, but I was a size 18 for A LONG TIME...and I never felt any type of discrimination due to size, because I was always GOOD at my job and I had very good skills.

However, when I gained some weight back in 2012 and went back up to a size 18 ~gulp~ I honestly WAS NOT treated ANY different than when I was a size 10...but I will tell you this..

When I was a size 20 and newly divorced, about 15 years ago and single, I honestly GOT MANY dates, ....in fact I married my second husband when I was size 20...LOL...

When I got my lap band and lost about 100 pounds, I went on Match.com and I will tell you, I had more dinner dates that I could handle I was a size 14 at this time...I honestly had to fight guys off when I went to the grocery store and out and about...it was overwhelming to get that type of attention both at work and home....

Honestly -- when I got my lowest weight size 8 -- my family would tell me how "old" I looked....my looks started to fade the skinnier I got with my lap band, I noticed I was not as "cute" in the face...lol the smaller I got...I was not a 25 year old in a size 8, I was a 40 something year old woman, at 5'7 inches tall and a size 8 was NOT PRETTY on ME....

I met my current husband when I was a size 8 and he later told me, I did not look that great at that size....and that he tried to fattened me up...

So the moral of this post IS...there is a HUGE difference of being a size 12/14 and a size 24/26....

Men love curvy "Thick" women not necessarily FAT women..

Naomi, look in the mirror! I suspect men are attracted not just to your thick, curvy body but to your beautiful face!

Amen, sister!

I am very thin now, but I also have a lot of health problems now, including some that are supposed to be relieved or eliminated by weight loss. For example, fibromyalgia. More than one doctor I've seen, and several that I interviewed for a magazine article, told me that obesity causes fibromyalgia and that weight loss would relieve the symptoms. That angered me at the time, but now I look back and wish I had laughed in their faces. "Doctor, doctor! Surely you jest! I'm thin! I was thin when my fibro symptoms began! How much more weight do I need to lose? What is the magic number that will make this pain go away?"