Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

URGENT Help Needed! Major discomfort after surgery!

Hi everybody! My husband had surgery today and has had a really hard time. I wondered if any of you have had similar things happen and how you recovered. I had my surgery 1 month ago today and it was very different from what my husband is experiencing.

It began with the dr. coming out after surgery and telling me that he had a really hard time. Most of my husbands weight is in his belly, so I guess that is what made the surgery more difficult. But anyway, the dr. told me that he wanted to do the gastric x ray before he would even give him ice chips or Water. They took the xrays 3 times before it finally passed through his stomach.

His stomach is hugely distended and he's been in a lot of pain since he woke up. He has not been able to pass any of the gas in either direction and is really nauseaus. Now he has developed a slight fever. I'm really getting very concerned. He says he can feel his sips of Water go all the way down and it hurts all the way down.

Have any of you had an experience like this? What should we be expecting? Is he going to be able to come home tomorrow? Is all this normal? Please give us some advice. And for those of you who pray, your prayers would really be appreciated! Thanks.

Praying for your husband here in Texas. I can't answer any of your questions, but I feel sure tomorrow will be better. I had lots of pain the first few days also. God bless and keep us posted,

michele

Don't be in a rush to get your husband home. He needs to get out of the bed and start moving. He also needs to splint his stomach and deep breathe and cough to clear the anesthesia out of his lungs. The MD likely had a hard time retracting his liver and that's why he's in a lot of pain. Make sure he has an incentive spirometer to help with the breathing and he should walk, walk, walk. In the AM, he should have another swallow test.

It is fairly commonplace that some patients have a slight fever after surgery. They'll be watching it closely. And when he does come home they should give you guidlelines as to what to call them about (how the wounds look, fever, etc...).

Splinting the stomach with a pillow or folded blanket works well when doing deep breathing and coughing. The incentive spirometer (a little plastic thing you take deep breaths from-usually a ball needs to be kept at a certain level while you do it) and the deep breathing and coughing (three big, slow DEEP breaths, then a good cough) is to prevent pneumonia and collapsing of the the little air sacs in your lungs, it's VERY important to do, despite the pain. If they don't have an incentive spirometer to give him (they SHOULD), then get a bottle of kid's bubbles and make him blow lots of them. It works in a similar way, you take a long, slow deep breath and blow out in a slow, controlled way. Make sure he does get up and walk, it will hurt, but he HAS to. Have that heating pad ready for him to put on his shoulder for the gas pain.

First off...deep breath and relax....first surgery for DH? Sometimes in my humble opinion, we get ourselves so upset that we can't relax enough to let the gas do its thing, to let the meds do their thing and let our bodies go...oh okay....this is what I need to do. You sound like a smart cookie and your hubby will be awesome tomorrow, its tough waking up from these things, we have had our bodies altered and someone has been digging around in our insides! Good rest for both of you...he is in good hands with the doc I am sure, and you need to relax or you aren't going to be any good for either of you. Its okay, its okay to worry too, but he is going to be fine, you were just through this, you know the drill, you also know that he is going to be great and so are you. Take a deep breath, thank god for you and him and know that everything will be okay tomorrow. Good luck

Power of Positive Thought

Tracey

I just reciently learned that Gas-X chewables (I now use the thinstrips) really help with that gas and that constant throwing up. I started using them about 4 or 5 weeks ago and they have really helped me. Thanks to the gals at the Lewistown Montana LP Support group for that tip to me!

Thanks for all the encouraging words and advice. My husband is doing much better today. The Dr. released him from the hospital this afternoon so we're back home now. His fever is gone and he's getting around pretty well, but still in a lot of pain. Now we are working on trying to get all the Protein in, with limited 2 oz. of liquid at a time. The gas is still in there, but he's trying to move and walk, so hopefully that will disappear soon.

Thanks again!