Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

Anyone had (or is going to have) the Easyband Telemetric Adjustable Gastric Band (TAGB)?

I am going to Belgium to be banded by Dr Foquet (hopefully) and he is just starting to do this new band with no port. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it.

Thanks,

Is this the one that has the remote? If so there is another bandster on here with tons of information on that particuar band.~Mandy

Yeh, its adjusted remotely - no saline and no port. It sounds good just not sure about having the little antenna inside me though, might start picking up radio signals!!

That's the one that was mentioned here a few months ago. I believe it was in Germany. I'll see what I can find. ~Mandy

Here is a link to one thread, there is a post within this thread that has more links in it. Very interesting. ~Mandy

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/unbelievable-prototype-t25134.html?t=25134&highlight=remote

I was going to have the Easyband. The doctor has a card rather like a credit card which is kept at the hospital. When you go for an adustment [obvioulsy there is no fill/unfil as there is no saline - it is electronically opened and closed] he places the card into the machine [rather like the machine at the store when you pay by credit card] It has all of your details on it and he can then remotely open/close the band.

I was all set to have this band on 11th March but during the op two of the surgeons decided that it was too large a band for my stomach and that it wouldn't give enough restriction. Hope this answers some of your questions

Hi Southern Girl,

I am having a consultation in London on Friday and the Surgeon that I had already chosen is going to begin fitting these new bands from 9 May. I think I will be nervous about being the first (or one of the first) but he has been fitting lap bands for many years in Belgium.

The Easyband in Belgium will cost £4,000 - 6,000 Euro which includes one-night hospital stay and there is a company in Manchester, UK that have started fitting the Easyband for £8,950, so it seems your band is becoming popular. I know there is also a clinic in Canada that started fitting Easyband in January 2007. I think if you google "Easyband" you would get some info up or even "Telemetric Adjustable Gastric Band". The company that makes it is Euroart in Switzerland. I think they may be doing clinical trials in America.

Below is some info;

"Now, there is a remarkable development in band technology which entirely eliminates the need to needle-puncture the access port with all the attendant risks. The Telemetric Adjustable Gastric Band (TAGB) uses sophisticated electronics to close or open the band without the need for an access port of any kind. The access port is replaced by a simple electronic receiver, through which the telemetric signal is directed to either open or close the band. The main advantages of the TAGB are:

• No risk of access port infection

• No requirement for needles or puncture of the skin

• Highly accurate and painless adjustment

• Shorter time spent under X-ray evaluation

• No risk of Fluid leakage from the band

The TAGB has been clinically evaluated and has been shown to be both safe and effective. In fact percentage excess weight loss is at least as good as with a conventional “hydraulic” band and may well prove to be better due to improved patient compliance with band adjustments"

my dr. in Germany does the easy bands and i asked him if it would be a better choice for me and he said he is still in the research phase of it and doesn't know the long term effects of it yet, and with me being only 24 years old he said that he thinks i'm too young to risk possible complications. and if i was his daughter he wouldn't want me to get that one. he siad it's metal i think? and was afraid that after many years with it in it would erode the stomach. i know he's done it on older patients.

Hi GC53 I would like to hear more about this easy band. Where can I get more info. Thanks Southern Girl

Hi Southern Girl.

Here is a link to the easy band. As I mentioned I was going to have it fitted but during my op the surgeons decided that it was too big for my stomach and that I wouldn't get the restriction from it. I have been told it is a large band.

http://www.healthierweight.co.uk/obesity-surgery/easyband-gastric-banding

What is the lifespan of the battery? ~Mandy

What is the lifespan of the battery? ~Mandy

I wasn't aware that there was a battery - but I guess there must be - my doc didn't mention it. It you go to the link on my earlier post you can go to a downloadable document all about the telemetric band.

Hi,

I had my consultation yesterday for the Easyband and am having the op 9th May. Dr Focquet told me that Allergan have just bought out Endoart and he anticipates that because of this Easyband should be available on the US market quite soon.

I'm glad of this new development as it means hopefully that more people in the UK will be fitting this band and therefore have the adjustment equipment available, in case of an emergency this would be good. Dr Focquet also told me that both he and I have the card that is necessary for adjustments, so therefore I can get adjustments wherever there is the available equipment.

Excited!!:clap2:

There is no battery in the easyband. It is an electromagnetic something or other that I didn't quite understand. Sounds like a great idea. ~Mandy