Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post-op-gained 25 lbs! I'm so scared I've blown it!

I feel overwhelmed, ashamed, disappointed. I'm hungry, snacking, not eating enough Protein, too many carbs and sweets. completely off track and feeling out of control. help me please get it together. I'm still down 100lns, but I need to lose about 65 more lbs. heading into my late 40s and it ain't easy losing like it used to be. anyone been in my shoes?

You haven't blown it! Quite a few vets have regained weight and successfully taken it off again. Look for posts by Georgia, oregondaisy, feedyoureye, and others here. There is no expiration date on the sleeve and it will work for you if you work your program. I am sure some of the vets will chime in and give you specific suggestions. You have taken the biggest step by reaching out for support!

I feel overwhelmed, ashamed, disappointed. I'm hungry, snacking, not eating enough Protein, too many carbs and sweets. completely off track and feeling out of control. help me please get it together. I'm still down 100lns, but I need to lose about 65 more lbs. heading into my late 40s and it ain't easy losing like it used to be. anyone been in my shoes?

Paige,

The season is kicking a lot of our butts this year. You need to detox from the carbs. No reason to suffer and do liquid diets or "pouch tests" Just make a stand and start clean eating dense Proteins and veggies. You can also look into the 5:2 plan there is info on it here in the vets forum.

Edited by laura-ven

is the 5:2 a good jump start program or should I just go back to the basics? Protein first, carbs if I have room. I dread the carb withdrawal. but it must be done. thanks to Misty send Laura for the suggestions.

5:2 can get you jump started again. It's also a good long term maintenance plan.. I think that whenever we get out of control with the snacking we are in the throws of carb addiction. So the most important thing is getting back to clean eating. Here is some links to info on the 5:2 http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/291240-52-links-and-info/#entry3292900

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/289313-the-52-diet/

is the 5:2 a good jump start program or should I just go back to the basics? Protein first, carbs if I have room. I dread the carb withdrawal. but it must be done. thanks to Misty send Laura for the suggestions.

Edited by laura-ven

I haven't weighed myself yet but we go back to Amsterdam today from Switzerland and there I will face the scale and see what happened. I am two years out and I can feel my body has gained weight....probably 5 or 6 lbs; I need to take 10 off to get back at goal. I am going to start the 5:2 this coming week. Looking forward to it actually. Happy to buddy up with someone (Pagie?) so we can check in at the end of each day. I have had such a sweet tooth this past week....and zero exercise of course. Not to mention the wine, etc. But I do know one thing that works for me, I just look at my two photos (the one under my signature of my passport) and I say NO NO NO!!!! I will NOT go back there. In fact, one strategy that does work for me is to say NO! when I reach for something I shouldn't. Another one of my bad habits that is coming back is nibbling while I am cooking....I just have to almost physically slap my hand and say no like I am talking to a child. But I know WE can do this......what we are facing now is not overwhelming or daunting like it was when we started....and the support of this forum is so helpful. Onto a healthier 2014!

Hi Paige. I am a 2 year vet haven't gained any post surgery. I weigh myself daily and pull back when I get close to $y 5 pound bounce range. I can agree that losing is tough now. The sleeve is truly a tool. The real work is eating clean, small portions and exercise. Your not a failure you are human. Stay connected to the site. Take a day at a time. Check out the 5:2 plan it has helped several. Also search for Miss Diva boot camp on this site. the boot camp is a back to sleeve basics and it helps too. Good luck

thanks for all the supportive ideas. I think my mind is the biggest barrier right now. I' just gotta get outta my own way. I signed up foe the valentines day challenge. that will help me with the accountability issue. I plan to get back to the basics TODAY! no point in waiting,,, thanks again...

Hi Paige,

I think the valentines day challenge is a great way to stay accountable. During the losing phase, I participated in all the challenges, recording my weight once per week.

I recommend setting up your kitchen for success by getting rid of tempting foods or at least moving them if you must keep them for other family members. Stock up on your in plan favorites. Mine include sugar free drinks such as hot cider mix, SleepyTime tea and Decaf coffee, low cal meats and cheeses, whole grain bread, oatmeal, frozen non starchy veggies, fresh spinach, Greek yogurt and frozen berries.

I use a white board on my fridge to track fluids and Protein intake.

Buy yourself a few non calorie treats such as scented lotion, lip balm, and candles. Buy a new game or puzzle to keep your mind and hands busy.

Think about your biggest challenges to heathy eating and come up with a plan. For me, it's always after dinner. I save calories for a small, filling snack, have Hot Drinks, and go to bed earlier.

I'm rooting for you!

Lynda

Pagie, last year I gained 16 pounds by Christmas... then 6 more while trying to lose it! I finally was introduced to the 5:2 by Georgia, and lost 22, all the way to goal. It worked for me, and continues to work for me... even though I am fighting off the carb craving now. Check back here whatever plan you choose, and we will support you through the hardest time, getting back on track! You can do it! It actually took me almost 3 years to get to goal....but here I stand. You can too!

Edited by feedyoureye

Paige, most importantly, is truly just START! And sooner than later! Like Lynda said, preparation is critical. Clean out the junk, stock your fridge with curio veggies, mini babybel cheese, string cheese, yogurt and plan.

I'm not a fan of the pouch because going back to liquids only I think sets you up for failure. At two years out, a day or so to pull back in might help you "starve the carbs" but ultimately, it's the basics or a good lifestyle program like 5:2 which will make the difference.

For me, I regained almost 30 pounds around 3 years out just like you and for me, 5:2 gave me the discipline I needed and actually helps your sleeve feel more restrictive on non-fast days and you gradually don't even want to eat as much on non fast days. It took about 4 months to lose the gain and then lost another 10 over the last two months.

It's a win-win lifestyle! You have not lost the war, just a battle! You still have your sleeve as your best tool if you use it to advantage. We will def help you!

once again my bp family has help me over a mental hurdle. thanks for the suggestions. today was a much better day for me. one day @ a time it is...

once again my bp family has help me over a mental hurdle. thanks for the suggestions. today was a much better day for me. one day @ a time it is...

Good news pagie! Yes, one day at a time. Truth be known sometimes I have to take it one minute at a time when I'm battling carb cravings....

I loved the holidays this year and just got back from yet another party. But I'm glad it's winding down and I can get back to basics.

I never want to go back to what I was before.

So if I (we) have to take it one day at time so be it :)

Here is what I think - many "normal" - never morbidly obese women struggle with some weight ups and downs. What is different is they whittle those few pounds back off before it becomes a lot of weight. I think that part of becoming a "vet" is that acceptance that the whole rest of our lives are going to be involved in managing maintenance - and there will be ups and downs. The test of our long term success is how we deal with it when it happens. Several of the people that have posted to this thread have been through this (or are going through it now) and give you really great advice and set the example for all of us - how to be in this for the long haul.

It's harder to lose the 2nd time around. The 5:2 plan has worked for me when nothing else would.

Read about it. It's called the Fast diet if you happen to see the book out there. Or you can google intermitent fasting.

I know I am happy to be back in my clothes again!