Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Back in 2006

Hi my name is Donna. I am 62 years old from MA. I was hoping to lose all of my weight by now but did'nt. When I started on my journey in 2005 going through the consultation and the phycological part before the surgery, the surgical team wanted me to have the RNY because I had a sugar addiction. I did not want that. I was so excited when I heard about the band. Well, since starting at 314 lb, I am 230. I would like to get to my goal of 160 and will do that in 2014. I can do this. I know the good thing is if I didn't have the band I would be eating 4 slices of pizza. Now I can only eat one, if that. Or go to McDonalds and have a burger, fries and a shake like I use to. I am lucky I can eat a half of a burger. So, it's the curse of the sugar that is stopping me. I will just keep going forward.

yes you can do this baby steps one thing at a time.

Everyone has their vices. Mine is chips. I can eat a whole bag if I let myself and the band can't do anything about it. The good thing is you are identifying your problem and triggers and can work through them. Number one is not having those things available. I just can't have a bag of Doritos in my house or it's going down the hatch. I now buy the mini bags for my kids lunches and keep them in the garage and somehow that works. Good luck, you got this!

Hi Donna, the determination comes through every line of your post -- I love that fierceness. I need that, too -- the absolute commitment to success. Here's to 2014 and conquering any old underlying addictions around food and being free from that. Sugar is sneaky. Be sure to check things like toothpaste, etc. for sugars -- it's amazing how for some the slightest bit can trigger a desire for more. And artificial sweeteners tell the brain food sweets are coming.....very hard to fight that off.

You gals ate great supporters. While I am a supporter, I still have a big mouth with a direct approach

I am 65 years old and have the lapband for 4 years very soon.

I so much understand the want for food, however gals it is the carbs in those foods that are turning in the sugar that you speak of.

I truly suggest that you all get a carb book and see how many carb are in bread. Rice, , pizza crust,hamburger rolls., Pasta. The white flours are the culprit . And in your body they turn to sugar. Then sugar turns into fat.

Even chips are very high in carbs. If you want a carb book, you can contact Atkiins.com, they will be happy to send you some books, coupons and low carb bars. Or your doc has them for diabetes pts they get them FREE FROM DRUG REPS.. CARBS ACTUALLY MAKE US WANT MORE CArbs . WE EVEN WILL LOOK FOR food FOOD AND MORE FOOD. BUT NOT FOR COTTAGE cheese carrots, brocolii apples , Green Beans? Brusell sprouts. RIGHT. just more carbs. It is like a drug fix. Try to pay attention to what you eat and what u don't run to eat. ..

Most sucessful Lapbanders are following a low carb and high Protein diet. With drinking a lot of Water and 1/2 the amount of their weight in Protein.< /p>

In our team on sparkepeople.com we suggest : up the protein and lower the carbs. We need to limit our carbs for each meal. Do your research ask your supsport group .

Why did my dr say no bread. That bread is gooey and gets stuck in the lapband I have not had bread for 4 years now. While pizza with protein

cheese is great. The crust is Not. Filled with carbs. Pasta? Look at the box, omg csrbs up to the moon. By this time, you gals hate me. It's ok . pills just want you all to see how terrific having a lapband is. Lapbands work for u if you give up the foods that got you fat in the first place. .

Hey, you have lost almost 100 lbs! I know it isn't goal, but it is a lot of weight. Making your mind up to do it, is 1/2 the battle. best wishes for a successful 2014! Do you need another fill?

My band is the fullest it's going to get. Sugar is my problem not food. It still a good thing.

2014 is yours. You can do it. Good luck!