Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December post ops

How in the heck are we to get 60 gms of Protein per day? I have been pondering this for when I eat reg foods! I am on soft foods til jan 16th then reg !

How in the heck are we to get 60 gms of Protein per day? I have been pondering this for when I eat reg foods! I am on soft foods til jan 16th then reg !

A can of tuna is 23g of protein. I usually split the can, that's 2 meals. I also found a protein powderat the Vitamin Shoppe thats 30g of protein in 1 scoop, so I drink 1 a day. I usually get the rest during my other 'meals'. I was told to eat 5 times a day...

We do two to three Protein supplements a day - between meals. Just returned from the gym where we did elliptical for 60 minutes. I burned almost 800 calories - as much as I am allowed to eat a day. I just made us a 1.5 dose of Unjury chicken Soup flavored protein. It is 30 grams of protein for a warm 12 ounce drink.

post-201360-0-20007400-1388607748_thumb.png

[ATTACH]39461[/ATTACH]

post-201360-0-63936100-1388607772_thumb.png

[ATTACH]39462[/ATTACH]

It's actually pretty easy if you eat primarily protein rich foods. chicken, seafood, beef, Beans and legumes, cheese, whole grains, Greek yogurt, nuts, and cottage cheese. You can also supplement with Protein Drinks and/or bars. Some nutrition stores (like Faunce Corner Nutrition in Dartmouth MA) carry high protein foods and supplements, and Vitamins especially for bariatric patients. I buy a SC&Onion flavored snack food called CrunchO's that have 12gr of protein. It's great when I want something salty/crunchy. If you have trouble getting all your protein you can add flavored or unflavored Protein Powder to things like yogurt, SF puddings, Soups, and mushy or pureed foods. You just have to experiment to find things you like. I try to make everything I eat contain some protein.

You can do it! :-)

Terry my book from my surgeons office says like flounder 3 oz is 30 G Protein but I can't eat 3 oz ! It's just between taking Vitamins, Calcium etc it seems daunting!

I am more than happy to share my experience. 18 years ago the hospital had me on solid food before I could leave. Now it is liquid to purée for almost all surgeon's programs. I was also never given pre or post surgical nutritional guidance. That is now a requirement by almost all insurances that are footing the bill. I was also not told to withhold fluids 30 minutes before, during and for 30 minutes after each meal. I was never given instructions regarding between meal Protein supplements or even how much protein to target each day. Most importantly, I kept pushing the boundaries and desensitized myself to the physical effects if dumping so I could eat absolutely everything I ate before surgery. I went into the surgery the first time at age 25 thinking it was a magic cure and I wouldn't have to sacrifice long term. That was very wrong. 18 years later, I could eat the same volume of food I could before the initial surgery. I had stretched the pouch and the anastomoses. I even caused the intestinal tract connected to the pouch to become distended. The surgeon decided that long term results are poor for fixing the pouch issues but evidence shows long term success with the roux limb lengthening. My initial limb was about 50cm. The surgeon says the standard now is 60 to 75cm. He lengthened mine to 180cm. That is roughly six feet of small intestines bypassed for increased malabsorption. I am very fortunate, my same surgeon who did the initial surgery also did my revision. He is now the Director of the Bariatric Center of Excellence for the largest health system in Northern Virginia. I trust him enough that my husband had initial RNY with him two weeks before my surgery. He is doing amazingly.

So happy happy for you that you were able to have this done! I am also in Va! Richmond :) Had RNY on 12/17. Good luck to you and your husband both! My husband has been dieting with me and plans on having the surgery as well at some point. It's great to have that support!

I have a problem. Had my RNY December 9th on the 17th I could start purée It's been a slow process I can eat sf pudding, cottage cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs. I just threw up after trying to eat haddock I think I ate too fast. I'm still in pain I can feel the food in my esophagus? Will this go away eventually, feeling the food I don't feel like throwing up anymore. Thanks for the help. Jan 7th I can go to stage 3 diet I don't think I can do that.

I ate flounder not sure if haddock is a light fish! Did you take too big of bites or eat it with anything else?

Just eat what your tummy likes right now and try the fish later!

I agree! Eat what your tummy likes. I experiment like this: I try a level teaspoon of something and wait for five minutes or more. If no pain, I'll try another level teaspoon. It's the pain and nausea that determine what and how much I eat. pureed foods in small amounts are what I tolerate right now.

Terry my book from my surgeons office says like flounder 3 oz is 30 G Protein but I can't eat 3 oz ! It's just between taking Vitamins, Calcium etc it seems daunting!

How far out are you?

I think I probably took too big of bites. I also had butternut squash with it. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna slow down and stick with the stuff I know I can handle.