Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band or Gastric By-pass???

Hi all, I know this question has been asked and answered many times. I just cannot find it.

I have some people question me at this point as to why dont I just get a mini by pass instead of having a port open in my body. Someone help me out here, what do you all think???? thanks!!!!

Hi all, I know this question has been asked and answered many times. I just cannot find it.

I have some people question me at this point as to why dont I just get a mini by pass instead of having a port open in my body. Someone help me out here, what do you all think???? thanks!!!!

I'm not sure what you mean about a port open in your body?

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. I was banded by Dr. Spivak in 8/06. Not much of a computer person, I don't normally have time to play on the thing. BUT have started being concerned with an increasing challenge. Does anyone ever "gurgle" when eating or drinking? Mine is increasing to a very noticable and constant situation. What do I do? I have lost almost 40 lbs. and really like having the control factor, but it is hard to be polite in public. And I wish I could just belch in private once in a while...it is hard to burp! I only have 1.5 cc of a 4 band. Is this worth a trip to the doc? I live a distance from him.:help:

Thank you for such a quick reply. Why is it that the gurgling is getting worse? I had a huge attack of acid reflux last night that just tore me up night. I haven't been able to eat or drink anything in almost three days. Have you ever been sick with the band? I have NEVER vomitted with the band. It scares me to even think about it.

I had my last fill about November of 06. Haven't been back since. It was very comfortable (1.5cc in a 4). Then about a month ago it has become harder to deal with. I am wondering if my allergies (this time of year) are causing minor inflamation/irritation due to drainage etc. This will be my first spring with the band. I have VERY BAD allergies...among other problems.

Talk about a can of worms. I recieve compound injections every month for my allergies (and it has taken me 5 years to get to just once a month). I take multiple products for sinus/allergy problems. My worst time is Fall but Spring is #2. I made it through Fall without even being majorly sick this year (rare event). I don't normally take anything for the reflux. I think I will tweek my allergy meds and see if it helps and prop myself up with plenty of pillows (use to work).

I am new to the web site. It has taken me this long due to new career, school, etc. that coincided with my surgery. Surgery is a part of life for me. This is #20 in 20 years...long story.

What worries me...I will call the doc Monday, is that I haven't been able to drink Water or anything else very much either. I thought I might have "plugged" my band with something, but if so, I wouldn't have so much going on (gurgling, acid, etc.). Do you know of anyone who has "plugged" their band? How did it effect them?

LAP BAND is the ONLY way to go! :) My mom just had a bypass, and is having a hell of a time. She is loosing weight, but also her hair! She hs also has had a stricture. Her friend just had a bypass this week and is havingv trouble as well.

The bypass has alot of downsides. Research them both! :) GOOD LUCK!

I am wondering if you are misinformed or misunderstanding. The thought of having a port open in my body would frighten me!!!!! :) I think you should look around here for some time, ask alot of questions,go to a seminar, research everywhere you can!! Do not consider any surgery of any kind until you totally understand everything about it. I think we all made the decision for a variety a reasons.

You need to do research, and then ask a profession to explain anything you don't understand. I think both surgerys can work, just depend on what you think is better for you and your body. My mom had gastic bypass dec.

2005, she lost 145 lbs and been at goal for a long time. But gastic bypass does have more risk factors. I decided on lap band because it can be taken out if needed, it has low risk factors and you can adjust the band as needed. :welldoneclap:

:eek: im glad i had the band put in and didnt have the bypass.i agree there are possitives and negatives for the bypass.i have trouble following a good nutritionaly balanced variation of food groups and tend to stick with tectures and foods i like.yeah im eating fruit, veg,carb,protien just the same over again.the bypass needs strict nutritional input as the body doesnt absorb all the nutrients that comes from the food eaten.this can lead to a greyness in the skin,malnutrition,bad teath,hair loss,a huge weight loss very quickly that comes with a shock to the emotional mind processes .these were all reported by 2 friends that had the bypass.i love my band and my complection was really pale until i stopped seeing my nutritionist as a controling enemy and started to see my body as needing certain types of food for survival.i hadnt had a period for 4 months but now im eating better all is nearly back in order.i thought in my case that a bypass would take away the choice for me but now i can see for me it would have come at a high price and wouldnt have been the right choice for me.i need time to work on my head so i can make better choices for my body.sorry to drone on but im just newly back to this site and am so excited to be back on board.:Banane30: :clap2:

:Banane30: im glad i had the band put in and didnt have the bypass.i agree there are possitives and negatives for the bypass.i have trouble following a good nutritionaly balanced variation of food groups and tend to stick with tectures and foods i like.yeah im eating fruit, veg,carb,protien just the same over again.the bypass needs strict nutritional input as the body doesnt absorb all the nutrients that comes from the food eaten.this can lead to a greyness in the skin,malnutrition,bad teath,hair loss,a huge weight loss very quickly that comes with a shock to the emotional mind processes .these were all reported by 2 friends that had the bypass.i love my band and my complection was really pale until i stopped seeing my nutritionist as a controling enemy and started to see my body as needing certain types of food for survival.i hadnt had a period for 4 months but now im eating better all is nearly back in order.i thought in my case that a bypass would take away the choice for me but now i can see for me it would have come at a high price and wouldnt have been the right choice for me.i need time to work on my head so i can make better choices for my body.sorry to drone on but im just newly back to this site and am so excited to be back on board.:frog: :clap2:
in life keep an open mind and take what you like and leave the rest,you never know when someone will say something that will change you forever.:eek:

Ok, I am at the tail end of research - I went to an informational seminar on Friday put on by one of the surgical practices in town that do both gastric bypass and lap band. I had done alot of homework before, INCLUDING reading alot of posts here, but still learned alot at the seminar.

The port is not "open". It is a small 'button' inserted into your muscle, under your skin, with a small "line" going to the band around the opening to your stomach. it is accessed by sticking a needle in it to inject (or remove) saline. My husband and mother both had porta-catheters in their chest to receive chemo, to save their veins. it is similar but this is better because it's imbedded in muscle and not just hanging in a vein under the skin. so it's totally closed, virtually invisible (maybe a small bump under the skin).

I've decided the LB is for me - not the GB. BUT, the NP giving the presentation said some ins. companies will not approve a LB if your BMI is over 50 - you have to get the gastric bypass. The GB makes you lose weight alot faster, but you also don't absorb alot of nutrients because it literally bypasses part of your small intestines and a large part of your stomach. I just don't like that idea. It's permanent, the LB is reversible. If you get cancer, you'll need a better way to take in nutrients, you need as many as possible, and since I've just watched my two closest family members die from cancer, I see that as something to definitely consider.

And the GB can be "overcome" I used to work with two ladies that had it done. Both have gained most of their weight back. frankly I just don't know how they've done it. they must have really worked at it. of course I realize people can "abuse" the LB in a similar way, but frankly I don't want to do something so permanent to my body that I can manipulate back to donig me no good.

I see the lap band as an important TOOL, and it requires work to go along with it, but frankly I'm at a point in my life where I really need a tool. I almost see it as a crutch. OK, maybe a partner . . .

Anyway, for anyone wondering, my first office consult is April 16, so I am on my way.

Margi,

Whatever you decide I would avoid the mini bypass, it is not an accpeted standard for surgical weight loss. Good luck on your journey!

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Gday Dr C, You should go to www.youtube.com and check out all the anti band/pro mini gastric bypass videos produced by a Dr Rutledge. He is really down on the band. Just put ''mini gastric bypass'' into the search feature there.

Susannah