Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something poking out of one of my incisions?

i noticed this a few days ago and im not sure what it is. From one of the incisions that is on the upper right side, theres something poking out....it looks and feels like a clear nylon string or a piece of plastic? . i havent called the doctor about it yet, i do have an appt next thurs for my 1 month follow up.

it doesnt hurt or bother me. its just kind of annoying and i have an odd urge to pull it or clip it but im afraid i might screw something up. Any ideas what it could be or anyone ever have this?

I had it twice. Not sure if it was a stitch but the first time the surgeon clipped it, the second time I took care of it

It sounds like a suture. Don't mess with it. You don't want to make it too small for the surgeon to repair if necessary. Just give the doc's office a call before your appt. I'm sure it isn't anything to worry about. :)

I had two as well. I shortened it so it wouldn't prick my shirt. If it moves a lot, the area gets red and agitated. It's not a big deal if they have to go in and get it. Whatever it is they're trying to fix would mean your'e getting sliced again anyway.

Don't worry about it, Any stitches from under the skin eventually dissolve, From an emergency nurse perspective, don't mess with it. Best to cover it in a way that it does not hook like steristrip or another breathable plaster and let the surgeon sort it, most times it is not a big issue.

I had a pokey thingy too. At my 4 weeks appt, they said the stitch was accidently left in. It poked all the way thru clothing. They were sposed to take it out before leaving the hospital.

i had one too, it was a stitch. my surgeon said it would pop out on it's own, and it did. just make sure you show him or her next appointment.

I had one of these as well. The doctor said to leave it alone and it'd be fine. I became obsessed with it it. I was constantly tugging on it, hoping it would come out. I even used tweezer but I was too scared to pull it really hard. Then one day, I just barely pulled on it and it came out. It will come out only when it's ready, I'd say.