Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions Of A Chocoholic

I'm three months out from Gastric Bypass surgery and have discovered, for better or worse, that I do not dump. I absolutely love chocolate, and have mixed feelings now that I know I can eat it with no problem. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a little chocolate almost every day. A Hershey kiss or two. So far, I'm still losing, and much happier that I can still eat chocolate. I feel like I can control myself around chocolate better than before surgery (so far). It seems like I'm the only person on these boards that "cheats" regularly. Am I?

I'm three months out from Gastric Bypass surgery and have discovered, for better or worse, that I do not dump. I absolutely love chocolate, and have mixed feelings now that I know I can eat it with no problem. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a little chocolate almost every day. A Hershey kiss or two. So far, I'm still losing, and much happier that I can still eat chocolate. I feel like I can control myself around chocolate better than before surgery (so far). It seems like I'm the only person on these boards that "cheats" regularly. Am I?

Log your food intake...that way you know if your cheats are affecting your overall caloric intake. Just be careful that it doesn't increase in frequency or amount. I know that if I give myself and inch, I'm likely to take a mile.

I cheat occasionally but I do at times dump. Sometimes it's just worse than others. I love chocolate and know it's a slippery slope as I'm weak. I do try some Sugar Free Chocolate to try to cut the cravings. I also log every single day.

No, you are not alone, I must admit, I am a cheater too. I get so upset with myself. I have dumped a time or two or three. It seems though that I can pretty much eat anything. The last time I dumped was from a White chocolate Mocha from Starbucks. I was MISERABLE. But the junk food (that my husband still insists on having in the house) does not phase me. Cookies, candies, Desserts don't make me sick. Most of the time I do have the willpower to resist, but there are times I don't. I have lost 88 lbs in the 8 months since surgery, but is so minimal the past 2 months. I need to get back on track 100% because I have 35-40 more I need to lose. I wanted so badly to be there by February, but doesn't seem like a possibility anymore. Then when I see on here that people have lost 100+ in less time than I have lost 88, I realize that I could be there too if only I had stayed on track 100%. I have a friend getting surgery next week and she is going to start her liquid diet this week. i thought about doing it with her, or at least the 5 day pouch test, to get me back on track. We can help to keep each other honest. AND I MUST start exercising.....in my head I WANT to do it, but it is so hard to just MAKE myself.

One Hershey's Kiss is 100 calories as I recall. If the recommended daily calorie intake at 3 months is 800-1000 calories, each piece of chocolate is 10% to 25% of your daily calorie allotment. Not exactly a nutritionally balanced diet. Just because you CAN eat something without dumping or being nauseous does mean you SHOULD eat it.

Why did you or the insurer spend over $25,000 for this surgery if you are going to blow it to have 2 minutes of chocolate bliss a day? Do you see the relationship here to the habits that got you into this mess in the first place?

You said you think your are the only person on the boards that cheats regularly. Ever think about why that might be true? Most of us fought long and hard for this second chance at good health and we're not about to throw it away for cheap chocolates or anything else. We may have an occasional treat, but we are very wary of the slippery slope.

Sorry to be so candid, but is really, really frustrating to see someone be given such a gift and then just throw it away. I hope you will see a therapist to come to terms with your self sabotage. Good luck. I wish you all the best on your journey!

Edited by TurnThePage

<p>One Hershey's Kiss is 100 calories as I recall. If the recommended daily calorie intake at 3 months is 800-1000 calories, each piece of chocolate is 10% to 25% of your daily calorie allotment. Not exactly a nutritionally balanced diet. Just because you CAN eat something without dumping or being nauseous does mean you SHOULD eat it. </p> <p> </p> <p>Why did you or the insurer spend over $25,000 for this surgery if you are going to blow it to have 2 minutes of chocolate bliss a day? Do you see the relationship here to the habits that got you into this mess in the first place?</p> <p> </p> <p>You said you think your are the only person on the boards that cheats regularly. Ever think about why that might be true? Most of us fought long and hard for this second chance at good health and we're not about to throw it away for cheap chocolates or anything else. We may have an occasional treat, but we are very wary of the slippery slope. Sorry to be so candid, but is really, really frustrating to see someone be given such a gift and then just piss it away. I hope you will see a therapist to come to terms with your self sabotage. Good luck.</p>

Wow...

Yikes!

A Hershey's kiss is 22 calories. At 3 is 66 calories.

Watch your food intake. Don't stop moving. And don't let 3 turn to 30 :)

You aren't the only cheater here. I was also given the "second chance" but we are all human. Most important advice I can give is... Find out if you love it or need it. If you love it, okay! If you need it then find out why.

Surely 3 kisses isn't enough to send you to a therapist and be considered self sabotage.

A Hershey's kiss is 22 calories. At 3 is 66 calories.

Watch your food intake. Don't stop moving. And don't let 3 turn to 30 :)

You aren't the only cheater here. I was also given the "second chance" but we are all human. Most important advice I can give is... Find out if you love it or need it. If you love it, okay! If you need it then find out why.

Surely 3 kisses isn't enough to send you to a therapist and be considered self sabotage.

Just read this the other day and was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Spark People has this info for Hershey Kisses:

Serving size - 4 peices

Calories - 100

Fat - 6 gr

Sugar - 12 gr

Protein - 1 gr

So even the sugar content in a few pieces is within safe limits. You COULD have them. But SHOULD you? That's a personal decision. I wouldn't, but I know my own weaknesses.

One Hershey's Kiss is 100 calories as I recall. If the recommended daily calorie intake at 3 months is 800-1000 calories, each piece of chocolate is 10% to 25% of your daily calorie allotment. Not exactly a nutritionally balanced diet. Just because you CAN eat something without dumping or being nauseous does mean you SHOULD eat it.

Why did you or the insurer spend over $25,000 for this surgery if you are going to blow it to have 2 minutes of chocolate bliss a day? Do you see the relationship here to the habits that got you into this mess in the first place?

You said you think your are the only person on the boards that cheats regularly. Ever think about why that might be true? Most of us fought long and hard for this second chance at good health and we're not about to throw it away for cheap chocolates or anything else. We may have an occasional treat, but we are very wary of the slippery slope.

Sorry to be so candid, but is really, really frustrating to see someone be given such a gift and then just throw it away. I hope you will see a therapist to come to terms with your self sabotage. Good luck. I wish you all the best on your journey!

I hardly consider this to be candid.... I consider it to be extremely rude....

Back your question....eating healthfully is our long term goal. I would ask yourself if your "cheats" are sabotaging this goal. For me, I couldn't cheat daily..it would trigger my food addiction.

I am 18 months post op and can eat anything I want. I am at goal weight and have only dumped once. I would say I am a chocolate nut as well!

I eat chocolate when I want to. There are times it gets out of control and I eat a little more than I should. This is usually around the time of the month for me. I usually crave sweets during that lovely time.

I do believe that it is all in how you look at things. I don't consider it cheating. Everything in moderation is normal. I believe if we continue to see it as "cheating" we set ourselves up to fail. We have spent so many years telling ourselves what we must "give up" or "deny" food. It is ingrained in us that we should feel guilty about having a piece of birthday cake on our birthday.

With all that said it can be a slippery slope. You must keep yourself in check and make sure you are eating the "guilty" food in moderation. I was several months post op when I went a little crazy and ate a lot of sweets. It started a spiral of guilty feelings and depressive thoughts. These boards help pull me back to reality. The reality was that I needed to figure out why had I started down that path. I discovered that I ate the sweets mainly when I was driving at work and stopped at a gas station. I would then buy sweets and eat them throughout the day. I counter acted this by logging foods and making sure I had Snacks in my truck with me. I also found food that would satisfy my sweet tooth that was low in calories, and had other nutritional benefits.

Finally I would have a little conversation with myself to figure out why I wanted the food. If you deny yourself the food for the rest of your life then you will either go nuts and eat too much or you become obsessed about what you CAN NOT have.

We all paid money to have this surgery, but I mainly paid this money to gain my life back. Make sure you keep yourself in check which since you are posting asking questions means you are. Make sure you don't let anyone make you feel like you are doing everything wrong. Make sure you are following your doctors orders. Finally make sure you stay true to yourself, and remember we are human and not perfect little robots.

Congrats on your new life!

I am 18 months post op and can eat anything I want. I am at goal weight and have only dumped once. I would say I am a chocolate nut as well! I eat chocolate when I want to. There are times it gets out of control and I eat a little more than I should. This is usually around the time of the month for me. I usually crave sweets during that lovely time. I do believe that it is all in how you look at things. I don't consider it cheating. Everything in moderation is normal. I believe if we continue to see it as "cheating" we set ourselves up to fail. We have spent so many years telling ourselves what we must "give up" or "deny" food. It is ingrained in us that we should feel guilty about having a piece of birthday cake on our birthday. With all that said it can be a slippery slope. You must keep yourself in check and make sure you are eating the "guilty" food in moderation. I was several months post op when I went a little crazy and ate a lot of sweets. It started a spiral of guilty feelings and depressive thoughts. These boards help pull me back to reality. The reality was that I needed to figure out why had I started down that path. I discovered that I ate the sweets mainly when I was driving at work and stopped at a gas station. I would then buy sweets and eat them throughout the day. I counter acted this by logging foods and making sure I had Snacks in my truck with me. I also found food that would satisfy my sweet tooth that was low in calories, and had other nutritional benefits. Finally I would have a little conversation with myself to figure out why I wanted the food. If you deny yourself the food for the rest of your life then you will either go nuts and eat too much or you become obsessed about what you CAN NOT have. We all paid money to have this surgery, but I mainly paid this money to gain my life back. Make sure you keep yourself in check which since you are posting asking questions means you are. Make sure you don't let anyone make you feel like you are doing everything wrong. Make sure you are following your doctors orders. Finally make sure you stay true to yourself, and remember we are human and not perfect little robots. Congrats on your new life!

Well said!!

I am 18 months post op and can eat anything I want. I am at goal weight and have only dumped once. I would say I am a chocolate nut as well!

I eat chocolate when I want to. There are times it gets out of control and I eat a little more than I should. This is usually around the time of the month for me. I usually crave sweets during that lovely time.

I do believe that it is all in how you look at things. I don't consider it cheating. Everything in moderation is normal. I believe if we continue to see it as "cheating" we set ourselves up to fail. We have spent so many years telling ourselves what we must "give up" or "deny" food. It is ingrained in us that we should feel guilty about having a piece of birthday cake on our birthday.

With all that said it can be a slippery slope. You must keep yourself in check and make sure you are eating the "guilty" food in moderation. I was several months post op when I went a little crazy and ate a lot of sweets. It started a spiral of guilty feelings and depressive thoughts. These boards help pull me back to reality. The reality was that I needed to figure out why had I started down that path. I discovered that I ate the sweets mainly when I was driving at work and stopped at a gas station. I would then buy sweets and eat them throughout the day. I counter acted this by logging foods and making sure I had Snacks in my truck with me. I also found food that would satisfy my sweet tooth that was low in calories, and had other nutritional benefits.

Finally I would have a little conversation with myself to figure out why I wanted the food. If you deny yourself the food for the rest of your life then you will either go nuts and eat too much or you become obsessed about what you CAN NOT have.

We all paid money to have this surgery, but I mainly paid this money to gain my life back. Make sure you keep yourself in check which since you are posting asking questions means you are. Make sure you don't let anyone make you feel like you are doing everything wrong. Make sure you are following your doctors orders. Finally make sure you stay true to yourself, and remember we are human and not perfect little robots.

Congrats on your new life!

Well said x2!!!