Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Ideas? Very Mild Chest Pressure Sensation

I was banded on 9/30/13 and have had a pretty good go of it so far. But for the past few days I've been having some mild chest pressure sensations along with my usual nerve irritation feelings. It started as left shoulder sensation, and now I'm noticing it throughout my chest here and there (under my breasts on my ribcage or above my breasts on my chest. I usually get the shoulder pain when I am running on empty, but this odd feeling didn't really go away with food. I tried Gas X, but that didn't really do anything either. The only thing that makes the feeling temporarily dissipate is drinking hot tea. So that makes me think my band is too tight? But that doesn't make sense either since I got my fill about a month ago 3.5cc, and I was fine right after. It doesn't get tighter over time, does it? So of course my next move is to contact the doc, but I'm curious if any of you have had this or know what it could be? Again, it's not really pain, just tightness or irritation.

ETA: I know this sounds nuts, but it is almost like I can feel the band. Can anyone else feel theirs?

Edited by PuraVida37

You need to go to the doctor. Immediately. I know that with the band, things can get stuck and that you can have esophageal spasms. But if this has been going on for a few days and you also have shoulder pain, these are symptoms of a heart attack. Don't take the chance. Go to the doctor and find out for sure. It is prob the band but your heart muscle is more important. Please. I work in Cardiac Cath Lab.

You need to go to the doctor. Immediately. I know that with the band, things can get stuck and that you can have esophageal spasms. But if this has been going on for a few days and you also have shoulder pain, these are symptoms of a heart attack. Don't take the chance. Go to the doctor and find out for sure. It is prob the band but your heart muscle is more important. Please. I work in Cardiac Cath Lab.

I agree... Get thee to the ER. Womens heart attack symptoms can often be weird and very different from men. Better safe than sorry. Please take care and I hope you are okay. ♡

I don't have pain this week---just mild sensation-- and it's off and on. It is not a heart attack. I feel fine otherwise. I will try to get an appt with my doc tomorrow, though.

I don't have pain this week---just mild sensation-- and it's off and on. It is not a heart attack. I feel fine otherwise. I will try to get an appt with my doc tomorrow, though.

As long as you are okay. We're just worried about you. :)

Thank you both.

I know that heart attack symptoms are milder in women, but nothing I've had is "uncomfortable", just a weird sensation. I think it's referred pain from the diaphragm. No shortness of breath, sweats, dizziness, etc. Whatever this is, it's def. band related.

i noticed i have this when i eat too fast or take too big of bites...band saying CG slow it down ole girl......same things as you describe..but def call your dr tomorrow (promise you will) and see what they say....better safe......

I get the sensation as well. It's not really painful but just more of a pressure. I have found that if I drink too fast or too much, I will notice the feeling later. If my stomach is empty I will feel it. Sometimes its just air that causes it. I've never worried about it and just associated it to my new band life. I spoke with my doc about it and he said it was just relative pain from the things I mentioned above. I wouldn't stress about it but definitely at least call your doc and see if they want you to come in.

People (women) have heart attacks with no symptoms I do not for the life me understand when people here have anything chest related and you would rather post here for some kind of answer you are looking for then going and taking care of yourself. Call your doctor or go to the er anything that goes on for a few days is not ok.

i didn't have any heart trouble until i did. a hour later it stopped. but from what i have learned from here is that your vagus nerve can be affected by the band at times. which could be the discomfort you are discribing. but to err on the right side a call to your doctor takes a few min's. let him/her decide if they would like to check you out. good job on your band, glad most things are okay.

People (women) have heart attacks with no symptoms I do not for the life me understand when people here have anything chest related and you would rather post here for some kind of answer you are looking for then going and taking care of yourself. Call your doctor or go to the er anything that goes on for a few days is not ok.

Cheryl, thank you for posting (as I always appreciate lap bander advice) but not for the condescending way you replied. Did you read my post? I already said I would contact the doctor. I just want to make sure that I don't waste his time with something that could be just some common lap band issue, that's why I am posting in the first place.

Hi PuraVida37!

I'm interested in what your doctor says about the sensation you're experiencing. I think we all find it helpful to hear what are common symptoms and what are not, so we can distinguish what is urgent and what can wait.

Thank you for writing your experience here. We all learn from each other, which is one reason we come here to post and read.

I hope what's going on with you is something like gas or the vagus nerve thing. I wonder if drinking the hot tea helped you to relax, thus the dissipation of the sensation.

My body had a real problem with the band. I was extra sensitive to it. I did feel my band, from the very beginning. It felt like something tight all the way around, especially around the bra line; I had pain under both ribs. Your body may just be trying to accommodate the band and to adjust to it's presence. It could take a while or it may be very temporary. No way to know.

I like that you're paying attention to the sensations and to what has helped, even for just a short period (like the hot tea).

I hope your doctor is experienced and will recognize what you report to him about your experience.

You sound like you already know when to drop everything and get to the ER and that you're paying attention. Have a good evening and please report back!

Take good care :)

~hiddn

I had my surgery on the 18th of last month and today I started feeling a tightness in my chest ( esophagus) is like I need to burp but it will not come out and when it does it hurts. I read that some people get esophagus spasms when they are too tight but in my case, my band is empty. I'm also calling the Dr. tomorrow to find out what is this pain all about.

Edited by yaya1397

yaya, that is a normal feeling you are having. you can still eat to much for your band when it is empty. or eat to fast which is what i still battle with. when the burp is productive do you have a lot of slime with it? this is the pbing you read so much about. i betcha just before you got that feeling and the pain you had a little soft feeling telling you no more. more than feeling full, listen to the soft signals so you don't experience the pain. good luck

I had my surgery on the 18th of last month and today I started feeling a tightness in my chest ( esophagus) is like I need to burp but it will not come out and when it does it hurts. I read that some people get esophagus spasms when they are too tight but in my case, my band is empty. I'm also calling the Dr. tomorrow to find out what is this pain all about.

I had this post band, about 1 month out I think. Quick, painful spasms right between the breasts. I went immediately to my GP who ruled out a heart attack and then to my Lapband surgeon who prescribed Nexium. Seems my band (which was unfilled at the time) was kind of bobbing a bit and irritating the banded area.

The Nexium did the trick, and, once I was filled, I never experienced this again.