Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days Left In No-Band-Land (Exciting Times Ahead)

Hi!

I'm LuluDemon99 and I just found this website today. And I am SUPER happy I did. I have been looking for a place online to keep track of my progress and record some of the things I am going through so I can look back and reminisce (one fine day).

I am having the LAP-Band surgery on December 18th at the NYU Langone Medical Center in NYC - AND I AM SO EXCITED!! Dr. George Fielding is doing my surgery - if my liver is skinny enough. I have been thinking of having some type of surgery for 8+ years and can't actually believe its happening now.

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet and it is harrrrrdddddd. I am doing 1000cals p/day of low sugar/low carb Protein shakes as well as 2 cups of vegetables. I am stlll finding a shake that I like. So far Muscle Milk Light vanilla is the worst, MML chocolate is ok, and Carnation sugar free Breakfast Essentials and Glucerna shakes are the best.

I spent today clearing my fridge of all the things I can't eat until after my surgery (Coke, pizza, Orange juice, eggs etc.) and also making some Carrot, Spinach and Mushroom Soup with Low-Sodium chicken broth. It tastes ok but it's much better with a little Glucerna chocolate shake in it. Sounds weird I know.

Anyway, more on my 'My Story' page. Excited to be on this thread!

Welcome and enjoy the ride. I have learned so much on this site and I hope u do also.

Just to give you an idea where I am: I am kind of down the street from University hospital. We can walk there in 15 min, just in case you are coming.

Having my hair done at 9:00. Tonails done and finger nails not. Will maybe wear a new dress.

Just to give you an idea where I am: I am kind of down the street from University hospital. We can walk there in 15 min, just in case you are coming.

Having my hair done at 9:00. Tonails done and finger nails not. Will maybe wear a new dress.

Oh sure...I know where you are. Yes...wear a new dress. It will make you feel wonderful. I'm heading out soon as well, but unlike you, I'm heading out into a winter wonderland. The snow is coming down pretty hard right now. And I'm sure my cousin who is from Boynton and up here visiting is having a great time seeing snow for the first time in years.

My angel (SLASH) surgeon was Christine Ren-Fielding, the WIFE. You are in the hands of BEST team in the country. CONGRATULATIONS!

The shake I've found to taste the best is ""Boost High Protein"" I get them at BJ's

2 data of no-band and pre-op diet to go and I'm getting nervous. Any advice for surgery day? Aahhhh! Xx lulu

Don't forget your lip balm. Slather it on right up until they take you into the OR. Trust me... Your lips will thank you. :D Easy to put on clothes to wear home. Getting dressed after surgery isn't the easiest thing. A dress or soft, super stretchy, low waistbands on pants and big, soft, tops. If you have a rack like I have a rack forget about your bra, after. Trust me, you probably won't want to do battle with it or chance it hitting your incisions. I didn't. I just free boobed it home. And I didn't care. :D

Have a bottle of fancy schmancy Water waiting in the car for after. On our way to the surgery center, we stopped and I bought a bottle of overpriced fancy Water and left it to warm in the car. It was my post surgery "champagne" to sip and Celebrate (and re hydrate) on the drive home. :D

Good luck. You must be getting excited to be getting so close.

Like any surgery, the first days are the worst. Just think long term and how wonderful you will look and feel this time next year.

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support! It really does help so much. One more sleep to go. My hospital bag is all packed with Water and lip balm, so I am just waiting on someone to call with the time of my surgery tomorrow. We have a holiday dinner at a fancy steakhouse tonight for work (my last day in the office for the year), so I'll be having fun drinking club soda and eating steamed green beans!

I have never had an operation before so I am a bit scared of being in pain at all, but I'm sure I will battle through! It is for a worthy cause :) Excited that this is finally happening!!!!

I need to book a car service for the ride home. Living in New York city noone has cars! And with the snow storm I don't want to rely on taxis. Ahhhh NYC, nothing is ever easy.

Thanks everyone!!

xx Lulu

When you get to one more sleep it gets super real! :D

Honestly, the pain isn't that bad. It's more like a moderate discomfort than real pain. It's kind of hard to explain. It's uncomfortable, with moments of pain, if you move wrong but there is not a steady, constant, terrible pain. When I came out of my surgery, I never once used my prescription pain killer. I filled the liquid Lortab my surgeon prescribed but I never opened it. I simply didn't need it. I used a little liquid Motrin (childrens, just double the dose for an adult) for shoulder pain, thanks to a hiatal hernia repair.

The discomfort from the gas varies from person to person... My surgeon did a good job of pushing mine out, I had very little if any gas pains. Mr. Porty was a bit ouchy, I learned how to support my tummy when bending and straightening and twisting in the early days until it settled in. Prescription pain killers won't be very helpful for those minor things, IMO, but that's just me. :) Really, don't fear it. I think that you'll be surprised. :)

The first three days or so are the roughest, expect to feel tired, dragged out, wanting to sleep a lot. Just listen to your bod, give it the rest it demands. Get up, do your walking, then rest. Try to hydrate and nourish with your liquids the best you can, that is crucial. By day four, I was beginning to feel pretty human, again. Just play it by ear, be nice to yourself and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your surgery, I hope that you have a smooth and easy recovery. Check back in and let us know how it's going. :D

Edited by The Icy One

I'm right here with ya, mine is scheduled for the 19th !

I'm right here with ya, mine is scheduled for the 19th !

Good luck! Cheers to a successful op and a smooth, uneventful recovery! :D

I have my first aftercare appointment on the nineteenth. May or may not get my first adjustment... :D