Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain in hospital

so when i went inot the hospital yesterday i was down 10 lbs from the preop diet...then while in the hospital all ihad was IV then Water and tea and 2 cups of broth..then i came hoe and had gained 6 lbs. How much does the band weigh? Or is this from all the iv fluid...i am very confused...did not expect to come home gaining 6 lbs from no eating

Not to worry, i had kind of the same thing. Im not sure if i gained because i didnt weigh right when i got home, but i posted a few days later saying iv been of liquids for tree days now and still have not lost. Everyone reasured me that it was just because of the exstra Fluid and gas. Three days later i had lost 5 lbs, now 7 days out and im down 13 lbs. So dont worry your time is comeing. Just get lots of rest and let yourself start to heel!

Stacy

the morning after my surgery I was up eight pounds< its due to the large quantities of iv"s< and the fact that urinating is hard>

I heard someone else say they gained 5 lbs from the IV so I knew it was coming. I gained 5 during hospital stay but had lost the excess Water in a day or two. Don't worry... drink plenty of water and you'll flush the excess through your system quickly.

Most of that weight gain is from the IV fluids. Saline is one of the solutions hung, and that tends to make things a little puffy for awhile. They also most likely ran at least one bag; 1000cc, or maybe close to two, depending on blood loss, time involved in surgery, etc.

Also the stress of surgery on the body, can cause it to retain some fluids.

Wait a good week or so before weighing yourself.

Don't sweat it at all. In fact, as hard as it is try not to worry about weight loss for the next few weeks. Your body need to heal up. You'll probably go through a big water-weight change then things will pick up and you'll start actually losing weight. Hang in there-you'll be OK soon!

those lbs and more have disappeared. now i am 6 days post-op and down 14 lbs including the pre-op. The incisions are feeling better, never had a gas pain. So I am rolling along...counting down the days until i can eat something solid, (ar at least semi-solid).

MAgs

I didn't weigh myself after surgery, so I'm not sure if I gained. But, like everyone always says....the first few weeks are about healing-not weight loss. The weight will come off when it is ready to. Just focus on getting better first!

I gained 8 pounds while I was in the hospital, the nurses laughed and said "and you thought you came here to lose weight", I lost it in a couple of days.