Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of having the sleeve done...

Banded in 2010 and not thrilled with results. Is this something commonly done? Or should i try harder?

if you take in (eat) more calories than burn off with exercise, no matter what WLS you have, you will not lose weight..

if you take in (eat) more calories than burn off with exercise, no matter what WLS you have, you will not lose weight..

Word. WLS is a tool not a set it and forget it fast fix. If you are banded and have no medical complications, maybe you just need a refresher course. Go back to basics, see your surgeon for proper adjustment and sharpen up your eating and exercise. See if that gets you back on track.

IMO jumping from WLS to WLS looking for the magic bullet surgery is not going to do you any favors. Whatever surgery you choose you have to work it. And work it right or it will not be successful. :)

Thinking of having the sleeve done...

Banded in 2010 and not thrilled with results. Is this something commonly done? Or should i try harder?

I don't know your situation, but in answer to your question - yes, I think it is worth it to "try harder"

My band experience was not a good one (had it for 10 years!) and i did revise to the sleeve. I have been very very successful with the sleeve, but I think it helped to really examine WHY I didn't do well with the band.

Much of it was truly some differences in the two surgeries, I was one of those people who still felt alot of hunger with the band and couldn't tolerate it being filled without having reflux and vomiting. However, I also wasn't well educated in how to truly "work" the tool.

When I revised, I picked a surgeon with a good reputation and success rates but ALSO had a good support and education program that went with the surgery. Somehow, something, clicked and I have had very good success and am currently maintaining.

Regardless of what you do surgically, you really do need to "work it" and get educated on how to eat. The way that any WLS patient needs to eat to get the kind of success I have had is NOT the typical diet. I have to work out, i have to eat high Protein low carb and I have to keep trigger foods out of my house. I can go on and on, but I think the real "secret" to success is accepting my reality and finding a new lifestyle that supports my success.

Before you decide to go with another WLS have you called a dietitian and asked for help with a food plan? Maybe get a trainer to help with exercise? I am not telling you not to get the sleeve but it is very major non-reversible surgery.

I love the band. I am not 100% perfect at all. I try not to over eat but I do have some foods that are not diet friendly. I am getting ready to go out for dinner right now.

Have a great weekend.

I think before we are really able to offer any reasonable input on this, we need more information from you. Are you having problems with the band, difficulty reaching your sweet spot, issues with not being able to eat anything or keep food down, or is it simply, as others have said, you are not following proper protocol for a bandster? If it is a case of you are not losing because you are not following a sensible diet, then no, the sleeve is not the answer to your problems. However, if you are having actual band related issues, then yes, it might be worth looking into revision surgery.

I think before we are really able to offer any reasonable input on this, we need more information from you. Are you having problems with the band, difficulty reaching your sweet spot, issues with not being able to eat anything or keep food down, or is it simply, as others have said, you are not following proper protocol for a bandster? If it is a case of you are not losing because you are not following a sensible diet, then no, the sleeve is not the answer to your problems. However, if you are having actual band related issues, then yes, it might be worth looking into revision surgery.

Hi Susan, I can't tell from your profile -- have you been banded?

I say SLEEVE!! SLEEVE! SLEEVE!

Restriction with the sleeve begins day 1 out of surgery. No more fills. No more begging & trying to convince ur dr's for a tighter fill because the xray shows ur tight & once the swelling from the fill goes down ur able to eat an entire cow & taking off work for .1 cc here and there.

Ive been banded 4 months and i wish i cld take it all back & get the sleeve.

I guess not being "thrilled with the results" doesn't tell me much, so I'll hazard a guess that you can eat more than you thought, that you haven't reached a good fill level and you haven't lost (enough) weight.

It's true with the sleeve you get immediate restriction. The band requires maintenance after placement. But my success is partly to do with the band removing a lot of my physical hunger, but should also be attributed to a lifestyle change. I understand when someone finds the band difficult to live with (reflux, pain, whatever) revising seems like a good idea (though sleeve surgery has it's own 'side effects) but the lack of success should be analysed for cause, because that cause MAY not have anything to do with the type of surgery you had (e.g food addictions) and may prevent your success whatever weight loss surgery you have.

Just my two cents.

It begins with YOU, and only You. What you put in your mouth must be quality food items and Not junk or high carbed items. More Protein items, less carbs and YOU will lost weight. Give it some time. Not everybody here loses weight instantly. Your weight gain took years to develop and now you must have patience in obtaining your ideal weight goal.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.