Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So What Exactly Is "normal Eating?"

I've been at goal for more than 1.5 years. I have a treat daily if I'm in goal weight range. I like pretzels ( 1 oz.), kettle corn (small oblong glad ware container - about 2 cups), graham crackers ( 2 sheets with 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter or two laughing cow lite cinnamon cream cheese wedges). I usually have my treat after dinner. Some afternoons I have a treat too. Or maybe 1 oz. Special K crackers or chez it's.

On the healthier side, Snacks include fruit ( 1 small apple, orange, or whatever is in season), soy latte, 3/4 c. Special K Cereal with 1/2 c. Soy milk, 1 c. Greek yogurt with Splenda and 1/4 cup fruit, low fat ham wrapped around a cheese stick.

I also have 1 or 2 drinks once or twice per week. Occasionally, I have a more calorie laden treat or one that I eat when out, such as a small piece of cake 2"x2"' cupcake, donut or two, 1/2 c. ice cream, or 3 pieces of candy, such as Sees or mini candy bars. Even less often I have popcorn at the movies ( I can eat a lot of popcorn, but try to stick to the small bag), fried food, or a more calorie dense meal.

Lynda

Thanks, Lynda, that's very useful info, :)

NMJG, twice on this thread you've included "Bump" in your post. What does that mean?

I haven't read all the posts but I'm going to talk about what is normal eating for people with the sleeve.....

For me, my normal eating is Proteins, 3oz, veggies (2-3 bites). Boy I can really eat sliders so I don't consider them to be in my normal eating patterns... I try to have more of a balanced diet and try to avoid sugars since when I have some sugar, my A1C will not drop below 6.2....So for me, I can not eat carbs......This is going to be my normal eating, the way I think normal eating is anyways.......:P

NMJG, twice on this thread you've included "Bump" in your post. What does that mean?

When any thread gets a response, it immediately gets displayed as the top thread in that forum. If a certain thread hasn't had a response in awhile, other threads with more activity will be placed above that thread. When she posts on this thread, it gets *bumped* to the top making it more visible.

When any thread gets a response, it immediately gets displayed as the top thread in that forum. If a certain thread hasn't had a response in awhile, other threads with more activity will be placed above that thread. When she posts on this thread, it gets *bumped* to the top making it more visible.

Exactly. With all the site changes people aren't seeing threads that they normally would respond to, so I bump it up to the first page from time to time.

I think normal eating is to be able to leave the last cookie in the bag and forget about it until it goes stale. For food not to "call your name". To make the junky choice very rarely and in a small portion, and to have the self control to choose the healthy and small meal most of the time. To take a moment and think about what the body actually needs for fuel for whatever kind of activity is ahead. To balance short-term thinking with longer term goals (and that isn't just a number on a scale). Not hiding food, not eating in the car, not always choosing the "bad food" or choosing the "good food" because you feel too guilty for wanting the " bad food." Not doing things with food that you are ashamed of. Removing the shame from food.

Couldn't agree more Mistysj. I had forgotten the eating in the car... my car side pockets were always crammed with the evidence of my secret eating. Just realised I haven't had to clean them out since surgery....

There is real pleasure in having control over my eating which makes me feel more normal. I had a chocolate yesterday. One. And I was happy. No urge to eat any more. For me, this is almost a miracle and I am grateful for every small victory.

I think normal eating is to be able to leave the last cookie in the bag and forget about it until it goes stale. For food not to "call your name". To make the junky choice very rarely and in a small portion, and to have the self control to choose the healthy and small meal most of the time. To take a moment and think about what the body actually needs for fuel for whatever kind of activity is ahead. To balance short-term thinking with longer term goals (and that isn't just a number on a scale). Not hiding food, not eating in the car, not always choosing the "bad food" or choosing the "good food" because you feel too guilty for wanting the " bad food." Not doing things with food that you are ashamed of. Removing the shame from food.

My normal will never include the cookie not calling my name. And I've got a ways to go before I am not ashamed of my eating on occasion.

Lynda

I couldn't agree more! I don't want to go back to "normal". I'm only 10 weeks post op, but I find everyday I'm settling more into my "new normal" :-)

For me yesterday I ate normally. I had a couple ounces of Turkey, about a tbls potatoes and same of stuffing and one waffle cookie. I didn't feel guilty or ashamed even though it was more than I would normally eat. And all of the pie and home made whipped cream and Cookies etc... didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was comfortalbly full and quite satisfied with myself. That was normal. .. I hope I can keep it up!

For me yesterday I ate normally. I had a couple ounces of Turkey, about a tbls potatoes and same of stuffing and one waffle cookie. I didn't feel guilty or ashamed even though it was more than I would normally eat. And all of the pie and home made whipped cream and Cookies etc... didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was comfortalbly full and quite satisfied with myself. That was normal. .. I hope I can keep it up!

Same here!!!!

I am still working on building a normal. Abnormal eating got me here. I am not quite 2 months out so I am still in my learning process here.

For me, normal means being able to get through the day without thinking - no, OBSESSING - about what I am going to eat next. (Check!) For me, eating normal means I can go to a restaurant and eat what I've ordered happily without looking at what everyone else is eating, dying for a taste and wondering how I could get a bite without looking like the pig that I am. (Check!) For me, normal means getting one small plate of food and eating it slowly while actually enjoying it instead of inhaling it like a spit shined Hoover. (Check!) For me, normal means being able to have just a smidge of cake or a taste of ice cream with the will power to not take another and then another and then another. (Check with the caveat that this one may trip me up later.) For me, eating normally means that my choices are 90% healthy and 10% yummies that hold little nutritional value instead of the other way around. (Check with the above note.) For me, normal is not binge eating on a regular basis or eating secretly while being ashamed of myself. (Check and a promise made to myself from my pre-op day forward.) I know my normal will always involve tracking, planning, reminding myself to slow down and enjoy the moment, etc. I know I will never eat and drink at the same time as "normal" people do. My goal is to be unleashed from the chains that I feel food has captured me in and so far, I'm thrilled. I know every day is a new day, and there will be many traps on the road that I am traveling, but I am going to make healthy my normal without the total deprivation that I know will be my downfall. It's a fine line that will be very hard to balance on, but a balancing act I am determined to learn!

- Awesome explanation and must say it fits the bill for me as well!!!

My name is Abby... Abby Normal...

Lipstick really nailed it.