Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Your Plan For Thanksgiving Dinner?

Wondering how everyone intends to deal with the Thanksgiving feast? Are you going to be selective or just eat a little of everything? (assuming you are far enough post-op that it's safe to do so). Or limit yourself to certain things?

We usually go to a Brazilian churrascaria where my carnivore son and husband are in ecstasy, and my vegetarian-wannabe son and I are happy with the salads and sweets. It's always been a good deal for the restaurant when we walk in, because my sons and I never could hold too much, although my husband definitely could.

But this year, I know I have to be discriminating because I can't eat "a little of everything" there. So I had to think about what I REALLY like, and of the plethora of things, I like a spicy sausage they have, their grilled pineapple, their cheese rolls (pao de quejo), and their to-die-for flan.

Four things. Of course, I used to eat a lot more than four things, but this year, I think I will focus on those four things and have a bit of each and call it a wonderful feast. And it will be a feast food-wise because all of those are things I don't allow myself on my regular days (carbs, sweets, fruit).

What's your plan?

I'm puree/mushy so I will partake of the stuff that looks to be that. I think it will be a mashed potato heavy week. And maybe some sweet potatoes, if they aren't prepared with a buttload of sugar/marshmallows. A bite of pumpkin pie, perhaps.

I will put more on my plate so that I don't draw attention to myself. I don't feel like getting into it with 60 relatives at once, 10-20 of whom are my cousin's new in-laws whom I have never met.

And I'll have a Premier Protein shake at the hotel before and after.

I'm going to be selective so I can try a sampling. I will skip stuffing bc it's too filling and instead have turkey, veggies and yams. I will probably skip potatoes. Hopefully my MIL doesn't do her usual and point out in front of everybody, is that all your eating?! Lets just hope she's too busy with family.

Actually we are doing two Thanksgivings because my Dad has to fly out of town on an emergency so we are doing hubby's family Thurs and mine Fri. I've already decided no tracking, I'm going to listen to my body but give MFP a rest.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Interestingly, we are having 20 people at our house for dinner and only 2 of them know about my upcoming surgery 12/10.

I will be helping my wife with the cooking, which should be a big challenge while on my pre-op diet.

But, I expect to stick to my guns and not cheat. Just not sure how to explain that to my nosey mother. My general plan is to just say I'm on a diet, which is certainly very believable.

But, I expect to stick to my guns and not cheat. Just not sure how to explain that to my nosey mother. My general plan is to just say I'm on a diet, which is certainly very believable.

I love your resolve! Good for you.

I'm going to be selective so I can try a sampling. I will skip stuffing bc it's too filling and instead have turkey, veggies and yams. I will probably skip potatoes. Hopefully my MIL doesn't do her usual and point out in front of everybody, is that all your eating?! Lets just hope she's too busy with family.

Actually we are doing two Thanksgivings because my Dad has to fly out of town on an emergency so we are doing hubby's family Thurs and mine Fri. I've already decided no tracking, I'm going to listen to my body but give MFP a rest.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

it's going to be hard to do MFP those days I agree

I'm puree/mushy so I will partake of the stuff that looks to be that. I think it will be a mashed potato heavy week. And maybe some sweet potatoes, if they aren't prepared with a buttload of sugar/marshmallows. A bite of pumpkin pie, perhaps.

I will put more on my plate so that I don't draw attention to myself. I don't feel like getting into it with 60 relatives at once, 10-20 of whom are my cousin's new in-laws whom I have never met.

And I'll have a Premier Protein shake at the hotel before and after.

the shake's a good idea. Will it fill you up too much though? I hadn't thought of how much puree there is in the typical t'giving lunch.

I'm going to be a party pooper...sorry! :-)

I am going to be two weeks out on Thanksgiving Day. The only members of my family that know I had surgery are my husband, son and parents. I've decided to stay home and claim I don't feel well. I just don't want to put myself in a position where I have to explain why I'm not eating and then be around food. I've been struggling the past couple of days and think that if I just don't put myself in that position, it will be safer for me to stay home.

I am, however, going to make my famous dinner rolls...60 of them...and send them to the get together along with my husband and son.

Christmas will be a different story - planning on attending and sampling and enjoying every minute!

Great thread! This year I am happy to say that my focus will be on the time I get to spend with my mom preparing the feast rather than the feast itself. I love my mom :]

Lots of Water that day. The food should be easy because turkey is a lean meat. So, a few bites of turkey, a bite of green Beans, a half bite of dressing, maybe a bite of a roll. I comsider those my favorite things. The rest --- well lets just say I will not regret not eating it :)

I fully expect this to be the best Thanksgiving ever for me! I am so very thankful to have my sleeve for a holiday that is all about eating!

I'm going to be a party pooper...sorry! :-)

I am going to be two weeks out on Thanksgiving Day. The only members of my family that know I had surgery are my husband, son and parents. I've decided to stay home and claim I don't feel well. I just don't want to put myself in a position where I have to explain why I'm not eating and then be around food. I've been struggling the past couple of days and think that if I just don't put myself in that position, it will be safer for me to stay home.

I am, however, going to make my famous dinner rolls...60 of them...and send them to the get together along with my husband and son.

Christmas will be a different story - planning on attending and sampling and enjoying every minute!

I don't think that's a party pooper, I think it's very smart. You need to take care of yourself this early on and you're doing the right thing. I love that you're still going to let others enjoy your dinner rolls. Very thoughtful.

We have 2 places to go to. My MIL first for Breakfast (I will have scrambled egg whites) then my uncle's house (plan on turkey).

I'm on puréed

GG, the beauty of the shake is that it probably doesn't matter. If I'm too full I won't use it. Or maybe we'll have breakfast at the hotel, or maybe not. And if I can't eat too much at the event, then I have something ready to go later.

I've had several events this weekend, and have stopped eating around 3 at home in order to get downtown. The best news is that I have been able to easily get through until about 11 without adding anything to eat. Not hungry, not worrying. In some ways the dinner with all of its distractions will be the easy part.

This is a huge family three-day long extravaganza. I can plan all I want and there's a good possibility that my plans will go out the window and I'll be part of about 20-30 people traveling everywhere en masse. So it's good to have the options there.

But the good news about that many people is that very few people will probably be paying attention to me.

Cooking, spending time with family oh yeah and eating for sure

Turkey, brussel sprouts, green bean casserole, and pecan pie is what I've been dreaming about for the past week!!!

Omg, Brazilian steakhouses are the best!!!!! I would choose the same four thing you did! Yum! Enjoy!