Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any banded chefs or kitchen workers out there?

Hey all... I posted this in another thread but didn't get a response so thought I'd try it in the "general" thread where I know there is more traffic!!

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi everyone. My husband is a chef and he is considering getting the lapband (note: I have the band, I got it in Apr 06 and I'm very pleased with the results so far). He is wondering if anyone out there who is banded is in a similar circumstance (ie. works full-time in a kitchen & is therefore surrounded by food all day long!!).

If so, we would be curious to hear from you re. any special challenges/obstacles you may have faced. Was it (the curbing your eating and food choices etc) more difficult for you? Do you think working in a kitchen environment made the whole process harder or more challening to go through or did it not make a difference?

His inquiring mind would like to get your perspectives as he goes through the decision making process of "to band or not to band".

Thanks all; looking forward to hearing some feedback!!!

Sorry you haven't had much feedback. We must not have any chefs on this site!

Although I don't work in the food industry I can say that if it bothers your husband to work with food now, then it probably won't get much better post-band. I say this with a little hesitation because I don't want to sound discouraging.

I've had my band for almost a year. In this past year I have changed my lifestyle and my general view of food for fuel vs food for fun. But, I am still susceptible to "head hunger". If I am around tempting foods then I still feel tempted. Yes, my band helps me control my urges a bit more but I ultimately still have to make that decision to cheat or remain strong.

I hope that helps a bit, good luck!

I think it depends on your doctor's recommendation regarding the exercise/lifting issue. For example, I had no restrictions by my one week post-op appointment. But, you're right...it is major surgery so depending on your occupation you might have some restrictions early on. Lifting 50lb bags of anything is quite a feat for me!! Interesting considering how much extra weight I used to carry around daily! I can't imagine having to haul around what I've lost--incredible strain I must've been putting on my body before the surgery. Wow, you really made me think of something I never considered before!

I am a pastry chef in a restaurant. I'm around food all day (sometimes 16 hours). I also have to taste the food I make on a regular basis. The tastes don't amount to much calorie-wise but I do find that I don't eat as many "meals" as other bandsters do. I usually eat 2 meals/day and the nibbles throughout the day (and there are going to be nibbles in a kitchen) keep me satisfied.

I think that for a lot of people who work in kitchens, the food we work with is seen as work and not really food - if that makes any sense. People tell me all the time how they would be huge if they had my job from eating sweets all day. I actually found that I lost my sweet tooth when I started in this line of work. I mean I taste my product because I have to but it's just work to me.

I don't think my working in a kitchen has made it any harder for me than for people who don't work around food.

Hey everyone! Im a pastry chef, and i posted a thread and then saw this. I just got my band 3 months ago and im able to eat food yea! haha... Just like the reply before me, food is just work and i dont see it as eating.. I do taste what i make and someimtes i feel guilty a little bit.. i taste becuase i have too.. and i only eat twice a day with nibbing through out.. but i find it alittle hard on my part.. but im tying to work on it..

Hi just wanted to say Ive been a caterer for the past 10 years I got the band in May and I am doing Because I know that I just cant eat all that food anymore Once you've made up your mind on that Its really not a big deal. You can still taste test the food I have no problem doing that I just dont eat a plate of whatever Im cooking I have no problem do the things in involved with food that Ive always done Hopes this helps Good Luck

There's a guy in my support group who is a food distributor of some kind and does food shows for retaurants etc. He's devised a way to taste the food and carries a cup with a retactable cover, and spits it back out. He is one determined bandster!!! It doesn't even seem to bother him. He's lost over 100 lbs. so I guess he's successful at it. He amazes me!