Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few worries for life after surgery

Hi, I am just now looking into getting RNY surgery. I was extremely against it until lately. My mother in law got RNY surgery 3 years ago. She was a big woman, almost 300 pounds, now she is barely over 100. (she's also 4'11). After she got her surgery she was extremely sick, couldn't eat a thing for months, Awhile later when she did eat, she puked and got so sick. Over the last 3 years she's lost all her teeth due to lack on Vitamins and lost most her hair. Her face is sunk in and she looks horrible. She was healthier when her BMI was 53 than she is now. After 3 years she still is really sick whenever she eats. She is miserable half the time and always puking.

My main concern is becoming her. I have a son at home and i;m only 21. I have serious eating issues and can never lose the weight. I'm afraid of going through the surgery and never being myself again. I am ready for every change ahead of me, except losing hair and getting sick, and lacking in vitamins as she does.

So I would love some advice for people who have had the surgery. Can you keep foods down? Have you lost hair? Are you too sick to do anything? Any advice or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Weight loss surgery is very successful for losing and keeping weight off. For the greatest chance of success choose a surgeon in a center for excellence with many years experience. They usually have a complete program that evaluates and treats your psychological issues w/food before surgery to ensure your success after surgery. They provide complete detailed education regarding pre and post-op care which includes consultations with a nutritionist. They provide continuous follow-up care for up to 5 years and recommend lifetime monitoring by your pcp. I had to sign a contract regarding this. My post-op care consists of post-op visits with the surgeon at 1 week, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 1 year, with complete lab work at 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year, then yearly for the rest of my life. I'm required to attend monthly support groups for the first year but can continue for life if I choose. I saw the nutritionist immediately post-op and I see her again at 6 months ( which is in a couple weeks). At any given time nutritional, psychological, and medical help is a phone call away, if I need it.

It's a lot of care, help, and support. I feel confident that I am well-educated and have the backup I need for success. At no time did I ever feel lost, confused, neglected or uncared for.

After choosing the best place and surgeon for your surgery the next most important factor in success is YOU. All the best medical care and education in the whole world won't help you if you don't follow your program guidelines as closely as possible, take advantage of all the resources available, and take care of yourself. Ultimately YOU are the key to your own success. :-)

#1 is choosing a good surgeon, #2 is to follow their plan to the "t". I am 18 months post op had no complications what so ever. I went to one of the best surgeons in the RNY field. I did not lose my hair, I take my Vitamins daily, my blood work comes out perfect every time I go.

Your MIL should see a different surgeon .. if she is still puking after all this time there is something wrong, that is not normal. Is she eating the right foods, staying away from fats and sugars?? Is she chewing her food properly? It sounds like she has stricture and/or a ulcer.

Not everyone has issues, and it seems the like people who follow their surgeon's orders have the least amount of problems.

My advise is to interview several surgeons before making your choice. Explain to them your fears. Then decide which one is right for you. This doctor will be taking care of you for many many many years.

I did not lose my hair, I am not the best at taking my Vitamins. If you looked at me you would not believe I had weight loss surgery. Many people have commented about how healthy I look. I work out and stay active. Everyone is different so please don't base your decision solely on her experience.

You must, must take bariatric Vitamins from day one and every day for the rest of your life. Of course we all slip up and that will not ruin anything but follow your doctors instructions.

I'm just over two years post-op and have never thrown up. But it isn't uncommon for folks to have bouts of nausea and sometimes vomiting for a period of time following surgery (as noted above everyone is different so it's difficult to be specific). But it certainly is not normal for someone to be experiencing nausea and vomiting three years post-op. If it is a stricture or an ulcer, both are relatively easily diagnosed and both most certainly can be treated with very high success rates. There appears to be quite a lot of information missing from this puzzle. What does her doctor say? Has she sought a second opinion? Does she follow the Vitamin protocol? The surgery is an amazing tool that produces astounding results but only when the all important lifestyle changes are practiced.

Most, if not all surgeons advise their RnY patients to expect to take Vitamin supplements for life. I take my Vitamins as a matter of course every day and my lab work has been spot on since the day I left the hospital. Getting sufficient daily Protein is also critically important for a whole list of reasons which includes reducing the amount of hair loss and the loss of lean muscle tissue. It's difficult to avoid some Hair loss but the loss is usually temporary.

All surgeries have risks and RnY is no exception. There are no guarantees. But if you take the time to do the research, I'm confident that you'll find that the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor of having a successful, life changing experience.

You're gonna love the new you!

It's great you're at least asking the questions because this is probably one of the most important decisions you will ever make. I'm in the same stage as you and certainly have concerns, but I feel I've found an exceptional program and surgical staff, and that has helped put me at ease. My biggest concerns are also medical complications, but your MIL sounds like she either didn't receive adequate care or isn't following the "plan." I could be way off base (apologies if I am), but remember you are not her. Everyone's experience is personal...like DLCoggin said, Vitamins and Protein are the keys (beyond qualified medical staff). I'm already taking Biotin because I'm also worried about losing my hair, but if it happens, Ive been told it's likely temporary (even though it would Still temporarily suck). There's a lot to consider, but I'm afraid to read any horror stories because I want to stay positive. I had my consult yesterday and going to my first group meeting tomorrow to learn more...it seems easy to talk about the change from a medical perspective, but info from who I hope will be new friends, is going to be priceless. The one piece of advice I'll offer is be sure you want to do this before you make a decision. I started thinking about it some 8 years ago and I just wasnt ready then. Now I can't wait...and am even giving up my coveted coffee. I know it won't be easy, but I'm ready to make my life better...and maybe it's partly a leap of faith, but I'm going to believe it will be better.