Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to Bypass, NO NO NO?

Short and sweet, I had the gastric sleeve on Jan 9th 2013. Lost all my weight, but below my goal and can’t keep anything down. Tummy hurts and has heart burn a LOT. Surgeon wants to do a GI scoop tomorrow, and possible do a Bypass revision….I am so sad…. I did not want the bypass, I was set on sleeve have had sleeve and been sick.....Need your thoughts, what do you think about your Bypass>>

I opted for the bypass because of dumping and malabsorption .... Mainly because I doubt myself and my ability to stay away from carbs....I'm supposed to get RNY Nov/Dec but found out today my surgeon has a $1100 fee above and beyond what insurance will pay, must have $500 up front..... The office is two hours away so I'm already out that extra expense....I chose them because they are a center of excellence ....but there's no way I can come up with $500 and then January 1st my $2000 deductible starts again......long story short I found a surgeon closer to me (no fee) but he will only do a sleeve or DS.... Ill get the sleeve because of no fee....from what I have heard the bypass helps with heartburn issues. Tell me how your sleeve went? how were carb cravings?

I had the bypass in april. My son had the sleeve today. I can say that pain wise, the bypass was much worse. He hardly has any at all. However he is very nauseous and I wasnt with the bypass. Just some early observations on the actual surgery part.

I'm very happy with my bypass. Sailed through surgery and recovery. Pain meds for 24 hours after surgery and didn't need anything after that. It requires a good deal of focus and planning to meet my requirements, but it is working well for me.

Good luck tomorow!

I opted for the bypass because of dumping and malabsorption .... Mainly because I doubt myself and my ability to stay away from carbs....I'm supposed to get RNY Nov/Dec but found out today my surgeon has a $1100 fee above and beyond what insurance will pay, must have $500 up front..... The office is two hours away so I'm already out that extra expense....I chose them because they are a center of excellence ....but there's no way I can come up with $500 and then January 1st my $2000 deductible starts again......long story short I found a surgeon closer to me (no fee) but he will only do a sleeve or DS.... Ill get the sleeve because of no fee....from what I have heard the bypass helps with heartburn issues. Tell me how your sleeve went? how were carb cravings?

I have HAD no CRAVINGS at all, I have NOT even been hungry. Lost my weight and as at goal in appx 9months. I was loving my sleeve until the heart burn and stomach pain has gotten worse. Going in for a GI tomorrow to see if I have to switch to Bypass for heartburn issues. Best of Luck with you Sleeve, I loved mine until the issues with heart burn got so bad.

I had the bypass in april. My son had the sleeve today. I can say that pain wise, the bypass was much worse. He hardly has any at all. However he is very nauseous and I wasnt with the bypass. Just some early observations on the actual surgery part.

I am 10 months out and still having issues with being Nauseous and heartburn.. That is why I am having the upper GI this morning, and may have to be switched to the Bypass....It just seems like such a much bigger surgery ,I am scared.....

I am post op RNY almost 9 years but will be having a revision next week. I never wanted to have the sleeve but I have always been under the impression that the sleeve was an absolute no-no for those with GERD issues. The sleeve will make it worse or you can develop problems.

If you have a strong addiction to carbs a sleeve will not be a good surgery for you. It doesn't have the restriction or malabsorption that RNY. It is really easy to graze since food slips right down w/o feeling full.

I was sleeved last Oct 25th I can relate to your issues, I have terrible heartburn, reflux, and nausea. I originally though that it would go away but has only stayed the same and is worse at times. I have been following up with my doctor and it was determined after an endoscopy that I have Bile Reflux. The only believed to correct it is to have RNY. RNY will cause the bile to not be so close to the stomach and having RNY relieves the pressure that is in your stomach that can contribute to GERD or reflux. I am schedule for surgery Oct 31 to have a revision to RNY. I hope that this will be it for surgeries. I like the sleeve and it has done well with a total loss of 106lbs. I hate to get rid of it but need to have RNY done to prevent further issues.

I was sleeved last Oct 25th I can relate to your issues, I have terrible heartburn, reflux, and nausea. I originally though that it would go away but has only stayed the same and is worse at times. I have been following up with my doctor and it was determined after an endoscopy that I have Bile Reflux. The only believed to correct it is to have RNY. RNY will cause the bile to not be so close to the stomach and having RNY relieves the pressure that is in your stomach that can contribute to GERD or reflux. I am schedule for surgery Oct 31 to have a revision to RNY. I hope that this will be it for surgeries. I like the sleeve and it has done well with a total loss of 106lbs. I hate to get rid of it but need to have RNY done to prevent further issues.

Thanks SO much for you post, that is what he said I have Bile Reflux, please lets keep in touch, They submitted the RNY to insurance on Tuesday, did you have any insurance issues...WOW, someone that has the same issue as me sorry you are going through this but We can keep in touch and help each other.

No issues with insurance. The Dr. did however make me redo some qualifying items such as meeting with the NUT and a Psych Eval. The Dr. also did some additional testing, gastric emptying study, and tried conventional medicines, reglan and erythromycin first to speed the stomach emptying process to try to correct the issue. All failed but was documented and provided to the insurance to support the approval. Bile Reflux is a rare complication of the Sleeve that is not documented, however it may be corrected with medication first prior to taking a drastic route to have a revision surgery. I hope that all works out for you. Reach out if you have questions.

Please dont "settle" for something you dont want. In da long run you'll probably get the bypass anyway. Just pray, that money will come.

No issues with insurance. The Dr. did however make me redo some qualifying items such as meeting with the NUT and a Psych Eval. The Dr. also did some additional testing, gastric emptying study, and tried conventional medicines, reglan and erythromycin first to speed the stomach emptying process to try to correct the issue. All failed but was documented and provided to the insurance to support the approval. Bile Reflux is a rare complication of the Sleeve that is not documented, however it may be corrected with medication first prior to taking a drastic route to have a revision surgery. I hope that all works out for you. Reach out if you have questions.

Thanks for your input, I have been on different Meds for 6 months now, and NOTHING is working....Let me know how your Bypass goes...Hope it solves your troubles.

Short and sweet, I had the gastric sleeve on Jan 9th 2013. Lost all my weight, but below my goal and can’t keep anything down. Tummy hurts and has heart burn a LOT. Surgeon wants to do a GI scoop tomorrow, and possible do a Bypass revision….I am so sad…. I did not want the bypass, I was set on sleeve have had sleeve and been sick.....Need your thoughts, what do you think about your Bypass>>

I understand your problem completely! I was sleeved in March and have lost nearly 100 pounds, just a few pounds from my goal, BUT I had a stricture, then a stomach stent, and found out today after a scope procedure and thriing up for about 6 weeks that my stomach has closed up again. Doctor balloon stretched it open today but I go back Nov 11 to see if he will try to fix my problem with a bypass. Like you, I did NOT wanta bypass. I liked my sleeve but my sleeve just will not stay open. You and I may be on this journey together. I will pray for you.

I understand your problem completely! I was sleeved in March and have lost nearly 100 pounds, just a few pounds from my goal, BUT I had a stricture, then a stomach stent, and found out today after a scope procedure and thriing up for about 6 weeks that my stomach has closed up again. Doctor balloon stretched it open today but I go back Nov 11 to see if he will try to fix my problem with a bypass. Like you, I did NOT wanta bypass. I liked my sleeve but my sleeve just will not stay open. You and I may be on this journey together. I will pray for you.

Wow, I am sorry to hear you are going through this also. Good Luck on your bypass, and keep me posted, I will do the same....I can now say the word Bypass without Crying, so I guess that is a step..I am Scared and Depressed, and ready to start living my life again.....

I have not had surgery yet but I have reflux now. I was originally wanting the sleeve but after my consult with dr he informed me of the reflux that happens with the sleeve! I hope all goes well for both of you!