Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days postop to much protein?

I found these vials that are 42 grams of Protein, 3.1 ozs 176 calories, o fat , 0 sugar. they taste like liquid Jello. orange is the best I drink at least three a day. Am I having to much protein or calories?

Are you still on a post-op liquid diet or mushies? If so, then you're probably fine because it's hard to get enough calories in during this phase.

But, if you're supposed to be eating real food then I'd suggest trying to get your daily Protein with real food as opposed to the three vials. Since the vials have 176 calories each I might cut back to one a day and use real food for the rest of my Protein intake. It's easy to accidently slow weight loss by drinking your calories.

I'm not suggesting you're having too many calories, in fact it's important to make sure you're having enough calories a day. I just know from my experience that drinking my calories doesn't benefit me as much as actually eating something with protein for the same amount of calories.

Did your doctor suggest this much protein? I don't think it's harmful, but I don't worry about getting that much protein in each day. I aim for 70-80 grams a day with about 20 of those coming from a Protein shake. Everyone's different, but I've done OK at that range.

I hope that helps. It's hard to answer your question because a lot of docs have different plans they want you to follow so I'm just sharing my plan!

I found these vials that are 42 grams of Protein, 3.1 ozs 176 calories, o fat , 0 sugar. they taste like liquid Jello. orange is the best I drink at least three a day. Am I having to much protein or calories?

My Nutrinist had told me that the protien was not as important in the initial weeks after surgery because this is healing time. That was preop, I had another post op visit with her last week and I told her I have a hard time with drinking the Protein Shakes and she recommend powder that can be added to cooked food. But she also said that the protein is not as much of an issue with banded patients verse GB patients because of the obsorbtion. But she also knew that I was eating chicken and cottage chees during lunch meals and protein for dinner. And I believe she felt I was eating enough protein at this point.

The Protein vials I got from my surgeon they are called New-Whey Liquid Protein they are 3.7 ozs and 42 grams of protein. they come in a variety of flavors and they taste like liquid Jello flavors like grape, fruit punch, orange (my favorite) maybe you can order on the internet.

The Protein vials I got from my surgeon they are called New-Whey liquid protein they are 3.7 ozs and 42 grams of protein. they come in a variety of flavors and they taste like liquid Jello flavors like grape, fruit punch, orange (my favorite) maybe you can order on the internet.

Tried the grape....it gave me the runs. It tasted like IsoPur to me....so I'll stick to my other stuff.

Good luck!

I purchased vials of Profect from my doctor's office. They are about $2.50 a piece and they are a quick way to get your Protein in. They do taste ok, but I am burnt out on them. Go to Profect.com. They are great to take on the go too. Hope this helps!

3.7 oz of Protein that can slide down quick(like a jell-o shot)-sounds good to pre-op me! I'm already sick of thinking about gulping, sipping, chugging, or drinking Protein Drinks, day in, day out , for what seems like forever. I start my pre-op diet 3-19-07. I've tried some drinks already and.............they leave a little to be desired! Surely variety is the key!?!

Can you give more information on these "vials" of protien? They could be helpful to others. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

The Protein vials that I purchased were from Vitamin Shoppes. They are called "New Whey" liquid Protein. They are app. $2.99 each and are clear. They are 42 g of Protein 0 sugar and 0 fat. The flavors that I have are fruit punch, orange, grape. Because they are syrupy and sweet I add it to my 64 oz of Water. You are supposed to have 60 - 80 g. of protein daily so this is perfect during the first stages of surgery when the Protein shakes are too thick. footballmom

I found these vials that are 42 grams of Protein, 3.1 ozs 176 calories, o fat , 0 sugar. they taste like liquid Jello. orange is the best I drink at least three a day. Am I having to much Protein or calories?

You really only should be having 60 - 80 g of protein daily.