Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kvdme, thank you for your letter . It's sooo helpful.

I am 7 months out and for dinner I just enjoyed 2.5 ounces of ribeye steak, 1/3 cup of garlic mashed potatoes, and a small scoop of spinach/onion/tomato for veg. Not a typical meal for me, but it was leftovers from a dinner out and It was delicious and sooooooooo satisfying. At first, I did struggle a bit with the small portions, but now when I put this amount on my plate it seems normal.

I know others have said it already, but what you are going through is TEMPORARY. Once you're able to eat and are able to fill up on solid Proteins, you'll have very little room for the pastas and breads that you crave. Just keep telling yourself that you have the REST OF YOUR LIFE to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. You can handle a few more weeks without them!

Hi I'm new here. I followed this site pre op and did post once cause I was scared. I had surgery on Monday 28th Oct 2013 and was sent home on The Wednesday. I have to be honest my body does not deal with anaesthetic well and I am allergic to morphine so recovery was a shiet to deal with (only panadol thru IV). I retched until Late Tuesday night and did not have my swallow test till Wednesday. I am grateful to the fantastic nursing staff who looked after me without prejudice rubbed my back and kept me focused. I have a spinal problem and loosing weight will help me, not being able to excersise caused more weight gain along with the bad food choices that comforted my constant back pain which only got worse the heavier I got. I have had great support from my 19 yr old son and my brother. I did regret in the first 3 days doing this but each day has gotten easier, and I am determine to make my life better. I weighed in at 121kg (266lb) and 152cm (5ft). 4 week preop diet I only lost 4 kg. I went in optimistic but worried this would not work for me and some how I would be a failure. Today is day is day five and I weigh 113kg (249lb). Eating is not easy each day I manage a little more (I'm actually not hungry but I do dream about a big chicken and salad sandwich lol). Realistically that is just my head talking and I know this because my stomach says there is no room in here for anything but that tablespoon of Soup you just had now get up and walk it off (walking also helps with the reflux along with the reflux pill in the morning). My days are filled with several activities to span out the day and not think about food, a glass of warm Water (sipped slowly) to start the day. A walk around the house with my old faithful dog. Take my pills, sip a Protein Drink another walk around the house. Have a scroll on FB and do a crossword or puzzle while sipping another glass of water. Another walk around the house with doggy (she thinks I'm crazy). Watch 30 mins of TV and have a hydro lite ice block. Another walk around the house. More puzzles (keep the mind active so it does not dwell on misery). lunch, walk, TV. Catch up with my son and what he has done for the day. Another walk more water. Blah blah blah. The advantages at the moment. I am not spending any money cause I can't go out right now and food purchases are minimal. Saving for the clothes I will have to buy (how exciting). My doggy is getting extra attention. As for friends I have one great friend who has supported me from the start no questions, and the ones that I have lost I figure they were not friends anyway. Be positive, always start the day as a new one, not a roll over of yesterday and don't be afraid to ask for help. My new daily mantra 'if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got'. Change it up. My yard is not big but I try to look at something different in the garden every time I go out there and appreciate being here and knowing that the better my health the more I will see of my son's life. Well done to everyone's daily achievements before we know it we will be enjoying our new bodies, buying off the rack CHEAP clothes and laughing because the meal out was only a starter that cost $8, a seat on the bus or train was easier to sit in. Good luck everyone

This forum is going to save my life. Any questions, fears help...you can get it here. Thank you everyone.

I had my surgery 10/1. I was crying everyday with regret. Now a month out I cry about every other day.

I had my surgery 10/1. I was crying everyday with regret. Now a month out I cry about every other day.

My plan is to start some form of jewelry hobby at night that keeps my hands busy..I would eat while I watched tv out of boredom ..just eat with no real hunger. Something to do. That's a full plan for a short life...so I am going to have hot Decaf green tea and pick up a hobby!! Live a little longer

You are getting better every day!!

Today my regrets are gone. I have had trouble with reflux and nausea but today I got up feeling good (still taking Nexium for reflux). I started the day with a glass of warm Water done in 20 mins a couple of bubbles 30 mins later a whole Protein drink in 30 mins NO bubbles or reflux took doggy for a walk around the out side of the house 4 times she gave up after the third turn (she is nearly 18) and I feel great!!! Oh and stepped on the scales after my shower one week from surgery and down 8 kgs since surgery 12 kgs since starting preop diet. That's 26 lbs. woohoo I'm on my way

Good for you new life!!!

When I went to my last doctors meeting' date=' he was telling us that he did surgery on his daughter 6 weeks before. All she did was cry due to mourning the loss off food. The death of her friend, comforter, companion. In a way its the lost of a bad friend. They were around you for all the wrong reasons. At week one, I could not deprive myself of something I loved, so indulged. I bought instant mashed potatoes... put a teaspoon of mushroom Soup on it and I was happy. I ate one bite, thats all that made me feel better. It IS hard not having it there. After a day or 2, it went in the garbage. My head hunger was satisfied and I could move on. I have to every now and then let myself feel normal. I Eat something everyone else has. We went on a short road trip 2 weeks ago. I made Terry stop and get me a happy meal lol. It was just the thought, I coudln't eat but one fry but I was happy I had it in my hand. Silly I know. I think its about allowing yourself to work the food and head hunger out of the way. I am just over 4 weeks and I had a big appetite for the first few weeks. but its going away. It must take some time to get out of your system. I get hungry but it only last till that first bite. Tonite Im having something I call savory...tomato Soup. I have a unsalted saltine with it, just one.. nibble away but gives me that incredible sense of normalcy. Its kinda funny, I look at what I eat now and realize just how much food I was consuming before. I don't know if any of you have had this, but I am having floods of old memories of me thin come back, old feelings and thoughts. Its like I am becoming the old version of me again and I like that much much better than a big bowl of potatoes and gravy and the misery of all that fat. I am more social and I notice the way others talk to me differently... more positive. Its the little things in life that make it worth living. Im thankful I will have a tomorrow, Im thankful i don't have the ball and chain of food around my body. I CAN eat what I want. I just choose not to and you will too. Sometimes the strict diet can pull you down. Too much routine, too much of the same foods. Find ways around it. Get a food you love and "taste" it, you don't have to eat it or even much of it. Sometimes just knowing the taste will get you by. My first week I ate some mac and cheese. Just chewed it and out it went, just for the flavor. I was struggling too. But that passed and so even thinking of that doesn't appeal to me. But I needed it that first week or so. I needed to know I can eat eventually. I know I can now so its not such a big deal but try telling me that the first week lol Good luck with your weight loss. I know you will pull through this time and look back and say boy, glad that parts over lol look at all the weight I have lost.... Food? Eat??? maybe later lol[/quote']

This really spoke to me!! I was sleeved on 10/23 and I have done some of the exact things you did to maintain some type of feeling that I will be able to eat food again !! I did that with a bite of mashed potatoes and a bit of shredded cheese in my soup! But like you, it only took those few bites to satiate and help me hold on until the time when I can make healthy choices from food sources other than Protein shakes.... I would never jeopardize my surgery by hurting myself and I realize that addictions can have tremendous holds on a person and so I will bring this up in my therapy session as well. This journey of VSG though shared by many is still so individual. Glad to see the diversity of the processes!

I had my sleeve 10/8. I am having nothing but regrets. All I think about is food. I'm so depressed. I don't think going to a psychiatrist will help this as I have done it before and it didn't. I didn't think it would nearly be this hard as I was told a hormone gets removed that produces the need for hunger and cravings. We'll guess what' date=' I am always hungry and am always craving bread, Pasta, and pizza. I used to go out to eat all the time also and it's killing me not. I know someone a year out and she eats whatever she wants in moderation and is still losing. I don't know if I will get to this point. I just want real food. I haven't even got to purée yet. I am so depressed and need major help.[/quote']

I am in the same boat. I am so emotional and cry all the time thinking why did I do this. I can't even eat anything and I'm so sick of Protein this and Protein that.

Fenway I feel for you. I was there. It does get better, every day. But I'm still having a really tough time. But I'm starting to believe in what others have said.

I had my sleeve 10/8. I am having nothing but regrets. All I think about is food. I'm so depressed. I don't think going to a psychiatrist will help this as I have done it before and it didn't. I didn't think it would nearly be this hard as I was told a hormone gets removed that produces the need for hunger and cravings. We'll guess what' date=' I am always hungry and am always craving bread, Pasta, and pizza. I used to go out to eat all the time also and it's killing me not. I know someone a year out and she eats whatever she wants in moderation and is still losing. I don't know if I will get to this point. I just want real food. I haven't even got to purée yet. I am so depressed and need major help.[/quote']

I'm so glad you had the courage to express you feelings. My Dr has me on Clear Liquids for week