Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wishing they would have had gastric bypass instead of sleeve?

Getting nervous I may not be able to loose as much wt as I would have liked with the sleeve? Anyone who has been sleeve for a while wish they would have gone bypass?

How long have you been sleeved and how much have to lost. I am 4 months out and really want to hit 70 pounds by Dec. I don't want a huge struggle to get the last of it off because that will be another 60 pounds and I think after 6 months it will be a lot slower getting it off. I have to say I am happy with my sleeve and I know I can lose the rest I just wish the honeymoon could last longer. But who knows maybe it will continue to come off easily enough. Are you going through that right now?

Edited by Beach Lover

Nope...nope...and NOPE! I have lost more then 140 pounds with the sleeve. You can lose as much as you want....you just have to work for it.

Bypass makes me nervous with the reconstruction and the massive absorption issues. I've lost 80 pounds in 5.5 months and I'm feeling great. I have no regrets. Some people lose quickly and some don't. Took me a long time to gain the weight so having any loss is making me happy!

6 months in so far and absolutely not!

No, my uncle had the gastric bypass about a year before I had the sleeve. Yes, he dropped weight very quickly but it actually just made him look more sickly until things evened out. But the worst is that he was always getting sick because he had to deal with dumping syndrome. It is possible to dump if you have the sleeve (I do, for diet pepsi) but it won't happen as often or with as many different things. The prospect of becoming that sick so often is not something I'd want. He's gaining weight back anyway as do so many have the rny.

If you're worried about how fast you lose weight, then maybe look into the duodenal switch if that's possible. But honestly, you will lose with the sleeve. So if you're worried about whether you'll lose weight, don't.

Over 2 years out and maintaining 120 pounds down. My digestion tract and absorption works pretty much exactly as God intended.

Good luck finding GBP folks who can say the same.

Absolutely not. There are way too many more health concerns that seem to go with the bypass. You can lose as much weight as you want with the sleeve! It's a tool for you to use and it won't rule over your life.

I'm down 60lbs in 5.5 months and only 20lbs from goal. Couldn't be happier with my choice. If my option had been bypass or nothing, I would've done nothing.

No way! I've taken care of too many bypass patients with way too many problems. I'm happy to say everything is going smoothly, and I'm so excited about my weight loss! :)

No way. I am thrilled with my sleeve. Wouldn't want the additional issues involved with bypass

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

No way Jose! My cousin had it. He was about 500 pounds. Only lost about one fifty, started eating crazy again, and now he's back close to his starting weight. Not to mention he had sooooo many complications.

I agree with everyone else here. No way would I change my plumbing. The sleeve itself was scary enough. But in 5 months I'm down 60 pounds (plus 40 pre-op), with a little more than 30 to go. You can lose as much as you want with whichever you choose, but you have to make it work.

Getting nervous I may not be able to loose as much wt as I would have liked with the sleeve? Anyone who has been sleeve for a while wish they would have gone bypass?

No way. I've known people with the bypass that are overweight now. This is only a tool for us to get a huge kick start to a healthy hopefully drug free life.

I think everyone needs to make the decision that's right for them, but no matter what you decide, it's important to remember that all of these surgeries are only tools, not magic wands. I've had several co-workers and friends who have had the bypass; 2 have stayed committed to eating right, getting in their Protein and Water, exercising, etc., and the others have not. Guess which ones are still losing or maintaining? ;) I can't say enough about how much of a mental shift this has been for me, and I'm far from perfect at it - we all have our bad days. However, my favorite saying is "persistence, not perfection" because I do believe that gets us through most things in life. Hang in there and know that we're all here to support you as you move along with your journey!

I'm assuming you haven't been sleeved yet -- medical research in the last several years has proven little difference in weight lost and maintained between the two surgeries. Others have given some of the negatives of the bypass, but one area in which it is superior is for those individuals with multiple co- morbidities, especially the type I diabetic (that is not to say that many sleevers don't experience dramatic reductions, just that so far, the bypass is proven to improve/ eliminate diabetes drugs in compliant patients.