Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I am here finally............drags feet slowly.....

Oprah convinced me in her show with Bob Green, that if you don't exercise or move, then you really don't want to lose the weight.

So I rewatched the show and joined a brand new women's only gym. I even hired a presonal trainer for 12 sessions and I AM SCARED...HOLD ME.

Just kidding. I have a few questions:

Do I need to tell my personal trainer about the band? (I'd rather not)

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I embark on this journey?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

drags feet to shower.....

I would say that you don't have to reveal all to your personal trainer.

My Advice:

1) good shoes are important. make sure they fit properly, and are comfortable. Pretty is so not important in an exercise shoe. LIGHT weight is important, good arch support and good fit.

2) Don't skimp on the abdominal work. It won't actually do anything to make your belly fat go away faster - but it WILL support your back and save you agonizing pain. If you have ever thrown out your back, you know what I mean. If you haven't - TRUST ME on this. Do your abdominal work. They have cute little machines for that at the gym and it isn't nearly as hellish as the countless crunches you may have done in the past.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that is not too agonizing for you and that you can stick with it.

I suspect that after a few weeks of acclimating to the whole concept, you will drag a little bit less.

:]

I don't think your trainer needs to know about your band.

I know it's scary...I was terrified of the gym at first. But, the good news is...once you get used to feeling endorphins (feel good hormones) from the exercise you'll probably start to enjoy it like me!

I started out slowly. I didn't push myself too hard to avoid "failing" and getting frustrated. Instead, I decided to tackle things I felt comfortable doing i.e. walking on treadmill and light weights until I felt good about myself then I kept working my way up til now...I feel at home at my gym and it amazes me!

I happy to report that I am not dragging my feet and hanging my head like I did the first day I joined. I finally felt the promised endorphins this morning. I am working with a personal trainer and so far so good. As much as I wanted to hate her, she is encouraging and very sweet.

So next week, I have 3 appointments with her, in between I will walk my neighbourhood which is what I used to do for exercise, and continue.

I joined a brand new women's only gym. I love the atmosphere, it is comfortable, private, bright and clean. I hesitate to say, I think I love it there.

I am a 43 year old mom, who gave up my everything for my beautiful family. I made the right decision, but now it is a little time for me. I forgot about me for a few too many years there.

So I am back and I am exercising.

My goal is to break the 200 mark by this summer, so I have about 18 pounds to lose.....should be easily acheivable.

Now back to my tuna salad...:clap2:

Would love to hear about your exercise regime, we can laugh and cry together.

HI Paulax--Congratulations on getting started! I think you will come to love it as I have. I belong to Ladie's Workout Express, which is like Curves. They have the 30 minute circuit, plus they also have a treadmill, eliptical, bikes, and a stair-climber. They also have extra weights and a ball you can use for an extra workout. I do the circuit at least 6 days a week, and I try to do some extra cardio at least a couple times a week. I also do extra tricep exercises with the weights every other day. I also go to Water Aerobics at the YMCA twice a week. I just became a member there too. At least there, I can take my daughter with me, and let her swim while I am working out. I can't take her with me to the other gym, and That is what stops me from going on some days. I usually go on my lunch hour while she is in school, but on weekends, it's harder. I am still a little self-concious working out at The Y, though. The other gym is ladie's only, and I just feel more comfortable there. I have been thinking about doing some sessions with the personal trainer there too--it can't hurt, that's for sure. Keep up the good work! I know I feel really bad now when I can't get to the gym, and I was a total couch potato before!

I have just in the last couple of days, discovered a group called Volkssport, they make walks that you can take, 5K or 10k. Great stuff. Hubby and I just did an 11K today. It was within a mile of our house to start, but we didn't even know it was there. The volkssport people put out a map and exactly how far it was.

They also have some free walks, or you can pay 3$ and earn credits toward Patches and pins, as well as other incentives.

We are near the Orgeon board, but still in Washington, so we have quite a few different walks to chose from.

Give it a try, it is MUCH better than walking on a treadmill, especially if you can find someone to walk with you.

Renebean, my New Balance shoes just came and I love them, I ONLY use them in the gym. I had to order them online as I am a dainty size 11 with a wide foot, and was a bit worried about not trying them on first, but they are a dream.

Lapbandit, I didn't share with her yet. I don't think I will need to. I do watch the excersizes that deal with the upper tummy, where my port is. I am loving it. Can HARDLY believe it as I was a depressed couch potato.

Connie, Workout Express sounds awesome. I purposfully didn't join Curves because I wanted eliptical and treadmills and just didn't feel as though it was worth the money. I love my gym, sounds like yours, and classes are included too.

Deckedout, my July sister, if we had a program like that here, I'd have joined. That sounds awesome. I did a walking training for the Vancouver Sun Run in 1997:D The training was really great, loved the support. There IS a hiking club, so if I ever need more incentive, I might join that.

Good luck all you!

Let me finish with a message from a t-shirt on a guy walking RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME on my way into my gym. It said:

Effort isn't Effort

until

it hurts a little.

My trainer wanted me to eat a ton of food so if food comes up you may have to explain your calorie restriction and why. That would be the only reason why I would tell them. Good luck and congrats.

My trainer wanted me to eat a ton of food so if food comes up you may have to explain your calorie restriction and why. That would be the only reason why I would tell them. Good luck and congrats.

Fortunately, I told her already that I am dealing wtih the food myself.

Well, yesterday's floor exercises put strain on my muscles. I am grossing myself out about where my port is sewn and how that might flip or get torn off the muscle.....I am so bad. Tell my brain to shut up.

I did tell her that I wanted to favour my upper tummy muscles, but please abuse me in any other way.

Hey, if anyone wants accountability in the exercise regime, HIRE A PERSONAL TRAINER. This is offered through my gym, I am sure it is much cheaper than if I had hired a pt through the yellow pages. So for now I am happy. I will do my 12 sessions and then go alone, if I want to step it up again, I can hire her again....but so far, so good..