Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JulieNYC's Extended Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

Julie--My thoughts are with you as the date grows near. I am sure you know you are in good hands. I am wishing you the greatest success and recovery from PS. I am amazed and inspired by your weightloss so far, and PS may help you look and feel like your true self--right? Keep on coming back to us with updates, as we are hanging...on...a...thread............no pun intended!

One quick personal question...are you willing to post pre-PS pics? I would be interested in seeing what life could offer, with your kind of weight loss success for me, if I'm unable to have PS. It may be a good comparison since our stats are similar. YOU ARE INSPIRING!!!

Boo - Ok, thanks for the input! I'm really jealous, wish I had a PS dad! Although my Dad rocks when it comes to fixing things around the house. He saves me alot of money there!

And again, I'm really impressed with everyone. I'm in the 'consultation' phase. I'm hoping I can get this done this summer, hopefully mid-July. and I'm already planning how to pay for the PS!

Karen

Hi Guys,

I've been SWAMPED at work getting ready to be gone for at least 3 weeks and I haven't been getting in my LBT time as much as I'd like! That said, let me catch you up....

ChinaMom, I completely understand the question (about family members performing surgery on family members) and it was something I had to work through. Perhaps most importantly, my father has ZERO concerns about operating on me. In fact, one of the biggest reasons I went with him -- truly -- even moreso than the free factor -- was that it would hurt him if I went to someone else. He is the best in his field -- people fly from around the country for his work -- and being a surgeon is so a part of him that it would have been like rejecting him to use someone else. I asked him directly if this was too big of a surgery to perform on his daughter and his response was, no, it was too big of a surgery to let any OTHER doctor perform. He's quite self-confident, which, I suppose, is what you want in a surgeon. He did my Mom's face lift, my brother's otoplasty (ear tuck), by SIL's nose, HIS own MOM's face lift and knuckle replacement, the list goes on. So, he'd rather do it than have someone else do it -- even taking money out of the equasion.

So, that brings us to MY feelings about him doing my surgery. I've largely worked through my concerns and a big part of why I was able to work through it is that I really think he's the best man for the job. That said, I had three major concerns. First, I did NOT relish the idea of standing in a room all but naked having my Dad poke at me. Second, my Dad is a control freak and I was concerned that, since I'm his daughter, he wouldn't treat me enough as a patient -- who has her own goals for this surgery -- and would make all the decisions without me. Third, I worry that, God forbid, something goes wrong with the surgery, the emotional toll that will take on him.

So, for the first concern (the exam), I decided to "get over it." It's 10 minutes of my life, as compared to about $40,000 of free surgery. And you know, it wasn't so bad. He was so clearly a doctor and not a father when looking at my body. It was as if a switch flipped. And, I had my Stepmother there with me (she's a nurse), so she talked to me and tried to distract me throughout it all. For the second concern, I had to really take the reigns there. For example, I had to be really vocal about the fact that I didn't want him to decide what surgery was appropriate based on his thought that I MIGHT have pregnancies one day. I asked him to hear me as a patient and believe me when I said I didn't plan on having children, though I admit that life can take you in places you don't plan. So, he agreed to do a full Tummy Tuck and not just the mini-tuck (below the belly button). As for the third concern, I still worry about that one, but I figure it would be just as bad if something happened to me and he wasn't the surgeon -- he'd blame himself for not being the surgeon and "letting" something happen to me.

So, yes, there are issues with it being my Dad operating on me. But, they're much more my issues than his issues. As long as the one holding the scalpel is comfortable and the best one for the job, I'm OK with my own trepidations.

One quick personal question...are you willing to post pre-PS pics? I would be interested in seeing what life could offer, with your kind of weight loss success for me, if I'm unable to have PS. It may be a good comparison since our stats are similar. YOU ARE INSPIRING!!!

I have posted clothed pre-PS pics on the main pic thread. I will never be able to post full nude pics (akin to Spydr), be they pre-op or post-op, because I have family in politics and I just can't do that to them, should my identity on this board ever not be so anonymous.

That said -- and you cannot hold me to this because I don't know how I'm going to look and feel post-op until it actually happens -- I HOPE I'll have the courage to post some very "honest" pre-op and post-op shots (full incisions and everything, just with the most "important" body parts covered or photoshopped).

I think it's important to share this journey with the WLS community. I'm just too close to it right now to promise what I'll be comfortable doing. I need to hate my body a little less first. Of course, that's what the PS is about.

Mazie, I am 5'2 and I was 200 lbs overweight. Every body is different, but there's just no way to have NO excess skin with the loss of 200 lbs, even with the young. Dad said waiting a year for apron removal was pointless. We're waiting on the arms because there's a chance they might tighten up enough to where I can live with them as-is, but even if my stomach tightened a lot, it still wouldn't be enough. I think -- and this is a generalization -- people in their 20s and 30s MIGHT get away with losing 100 lbs and not requiring a Tummy Tuck, but 200 lbs is just asking too much of the body. That said, I COULD live the way I am without a tummy tuck. It's cosmetic for me. It's not hanging so much that it interferes with my body functions, I've never had a rash or irritation problems. So, I think if I'd have waited 10 years, I could have been a lot worse off with the skin problems, you know?

Julie I'm so excited for you. You will look great but feel phenominal, I just know it. I'm a shorty too and have lost 80 lbs. I'm also considering having ps soon, possibly in July. I got a consult and it would be 14,000 for a FTT with Lipo on sides and abs, BL with lipo for side boobies. I feel very comfortable with this doctor and he did a BL on his nurse, she looked awesome.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ana 242/160/150

JulieNYC----thank you for your honesty,that is what makes this so great (honest experiences).....and I think I could never do nudes, myself...

I am glad you added your dad's thoughts, and yours, about a 200# weight loss just being more than a body can recover from....

It gives me a realistic expectation....

I kept hearing people (who, I think were trying to say something supportive/positive) saying "at your age your skin should bounce back just fine"....

I am 34 almost 35--I don't think that is young!!for one....and two--200# is huge to recover from......I would have LOVED the idea, that this would be the case, but it did not sound realistic to me---I'm glad to have that cleared up!! (I actually need to lose 202# but, who's counting?)

YOU HAVE COME A LONG WAY BABY!!!!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I'm feeling too fat for plastic surgery -- feeling like I'm rushing things. I know this is just a first step and that there will be follow up procedures, but I just plain feel fat. My band doc says to go ahead, my Dad says to go ahead. I'm going ahead. But, I feel FAT and like I should wait 40 more lbs before tackling this beast.

It's going to be fine -- just sharing the thought process with you all....

Julie: How exciting! Congratulations! I'm a little over half way to my goal and am thinking about PS as soon as I get there. I'm looking forward to your thread. I wish you the best!

Julie...my heart goes out to you!

I too feel fat but, a "350# fat" --- not an "under 200# fat"! I DO think that the "feeling" is just as disheartening though. I hope that for you, this is a temporary, out of the ordinary, thought.

You say you feel "like you should wait, 40 more lbs.,before tackling this beast" .... how much is your goal weight? I thought you only wanted to lose about 20 more. If you waited another 40#, how long/short would you expect that to take?? And, could waiting that long/short keep you from having any additional/multiple surgery?

Maybe your thoughts, that are negative, come from nerves???? PLEASE continue to share your thoughts as you experience this journey. I can not tell you, how much I admire you, for sharing your experience and your success with all of us. You have already accomplished what I once believed, to be the impossible/miracle. I hope these changes have influenced your life in an extremely positive way overall.

I'm almost sure all roads have lots of bumps along the way, but few road blocks.

;):star::lol::star::) :teeth: :hug::thumb:cheer up Julie, I think you get five stars in my book---just the way you are!!! smiles...hug.....and thumbs up....to you!

I was tired and nervous. Feeling much better this morning. I took a good look in the mirror (and at the pics from a friend's child's birthday party yesterday) and it's time for the first round. I still have extra weight in my hips and thighs, but there's really not much left in the torso. This is going to be fine.

Mazie, I don't know what my goal weight is. My band doc's goal was to get me under 200. I weighed about 175 a few years ago (Optifast) and I was comfortable at that weight. I know I don't want to try and maintain what the charts say I should weigh (115-130). My goal is probably in the 160s, but I just don't know.

Dad said it's not likely that I'd avoid a follow up procedure, even if I was at goal. He said with that much skin removal, it's kind of like fitting a dress -- you need two alterations before the final reveal. One gets rid of the major excess and, almost always, you need a little bit of extra fitting to make it perfect. There's a chance I'm asking for 3 surgeries by doing this early, but he thinks probably not.

I've got to trust the medical professionals here and go ahead. I am feeling better today though.

Julie: You express yourself so well. Great thoughts. I think that you have to go to your dad, too! You were probably nervous and excited when you got the LB, too. You're going to be glad you did this. Keep on posting!

Just wanting to let you know that you give me so much hope for the future. I am proud of you for what you have accomplished so far. I also want to wish you good luck on your up coming surgery and hope all goes well. I'm new to the band and having a hard time so reading your story really inspires me. Thank you.