Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a 36 yr old mother of two. After working in a fast paced nursing job, I landed a office desk job 13 years ago. First two years I gained 10lbs. After my first child, I kept on about 10 lb. Two more years I gained another 10-15 lb. Baby number two came. I lost Tue baby weight but was another 10 lb higher. In 2008 I went from 183 to 145 lb. After stopping the strict diet plan and very limited foods, I creeped up close to 200lb. In 2011 I visited a weight loss clinic for help. They immediately put me through the lapband process only to discover my BMI was 34.6. I stopped the process and tried a diet plan again. It resulted in losing 3-6 lbs and gaining 10+. Finally, in June 2013 I found another clinic where the indicated I was a 38.9-39.2 BMI. I have acids reflux and arthritis in my knees due to excess weight. I've had a esophagus/stomach scope, psychiatric appt., and my 6th required appointment 11/16. They will submit to my insurance and if approved, surgery is pending for lapband on December 6th. This has been a dream for a long time to finally get help!!

A lot of people feel I don't need lapband and can do it on my own. If that was the case, I wouldn't even be here where I am. I'm nervous about the procedure but know it's the beat option for me.

For many people there's a fine line between maintaining a low BMI and we who struggle keeping a BMI within obese territory. I heard the comments before the band too. I didn't need the band? Huh?

So many people do not understand that we all have different metabolisms and different psychosis towards food. We all drew the short straw in this area. But, the band can help us behave like those folks who eat a little food and stop eating because we're satisfied. I could never have done this without the band, NEVER!!

so many think that the band or any wls is the easy way out. this is the hardest thing i have ever done. but at least i have the confindence that once i lose the weight this time i will keep it off. i am learning so much , no wonder i was obese and couldnt lose weight on my many diets .

I hope that everything goes your way, Best wishes!

Coach your story resonates with a lot of us. Losing weight is easy but keeping it off is the hard part. That statement may sound like a generalization on my part but I have read more often then not on here that "I can lose the weight but I cannot keep it off". I dropped a 170+ pounds in 19 months by dieting. I gained it all back plus another 90!!

When I think back to that time I can remember how happy I was with my weight loss but I also think of how miserable I was at times because I was depriving myself.

I could not be happier with my band life. Weight is coming off but I am enjoying my life as well. Everything and anything in moderation.

Whatever you decide to do make sure it is what you want. Do not allow outside influences to dictate your needs and desires.

Good luck!

Hi there and welcome! I have found this site to be so helpful for support and education. Finally getting banded next week. I struggled with my weight for so long and am relieved to have help on the horizon. Best wishes to you!

Hi: I wasn't super morbid obese but I was obese.. at 5 ft. nothing I weight 198.8 but after years of struggling to lose weight and keep it off I made the decision to change.. my diabetes was getting worse, my blood pressure was high and I had high cholesterol.. at my age (66) I had to make a decision to live out the rest of my life in as good a health as possible..I was banded in Jan 2013 .. the nurse who walked me to the surgical area made a comment that "they must have lowered the requirements for weight loss surgery" she stated that I didn't look that big... don't let what other people say or think bother you. nobody knows your struggle but you..It has been the best thing I have ever done.. after years and years of deprivating diets and gimmicks I am free.. My band and I get along fine.. I no longer take diabetes meds, blood pressure is back to normal and I am no longer on cholesterol medication

Hi: I wasn't super morbid obese but I was obese.. at 5 ft. nothing I weight 198.8 but after years of struggling to lose weight and keep it off I made the decision to change.. my diabetes was getting worse, my blood pressure was high and I had high cholesterol.. at my age (66) I had to make a decision to live out the rest of my life in as good a health as possible..I was banded in Jan 2013 .. the nurse who walked me to the surgical area made a comment that "they must have lowered the requirements for weight loss surgery" she stated that I didn't look that big... don't let what other people say or think bother you. nobody knows your struggle but you..It has been the best thing I have ever done.. after years and years of deprivating diets and gimmicks I am free.. My band and I get along fine.. I no longer take diabetes meds, blood pressure is back to normal and I am no longer on cholesterol medication

That is what I am looking for to get off some of these meds.