Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Are You Feeling About Your Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery?

That's awesome...except I think I caught your stall, LOL! I've been stuck at 12 lbs for almost 5 days now. It is just two weeks today since the surgery, so overall I think the loss is ok, but I didn't want to stall so quickly.

Oh no!!

The 3 week stall is extremely common. I experienced it. I think it's your body adjusting to the new diet and starting mushies/pureed foods.

I lost another pound so hopefully, my weight loss pause is over.

Take care,

Jenn

One week and one day out from surgery. Down 9 lbs from surgery date. Still having lots of pangs in my stomach, doc says this as normal as the stomach is trying to uncurl itself.:mellow: Some days I think things are good, other days I am questioning my decision. Overall, I think it's a good thing...mostly...

Those pangs lasted about 2-3 weeks for me. They should go away soon! Hang in there!

I sure am feeling yucky and hungry today, kind of weak and tired. It's been 10 days since my surgery and I'd hoped I'd have bounced back better by now, but my family just all passed around a virus so maybe that's why. I've lost 17 lbs which I'm wondering is too fast, I was prepared to take it slow. But the hardest thing right now is being so hungry. Is anyone else having this problem?

The weakness and tiredness should pass as soon as you are able to eat more solid foods. Just concentrate on getting the Water and Protein in! I, also, have a lot of problems with hunger, although I don't think it started until about 3 weeks out. It's been very frustrating to say the least. I was advised to try a PPI like Prilosec in case it's from increased acid production. I do think it helped a little bit. Some people have recommended Gaviscon when they have the hunger pangs, but I haven't tried that, yet. Sometimes a Tums will help, but then the hunger comes back pretty fast. Lately I've just tried to ignore it and it'll go away eventually! Be happy with the 17 lbs! Unfortunately, the weight loss might slow down as you're able to eat more foods.

I had my surgery in July of last year. Almost 10 months out now. I've lost 60 lbs so far. 23 to go. Very slow the last 4 months. Only lost 7 lbs since Christmas. I weigh the same for a month now. I'm definitely losing a lot slower than those with other surgeries. No issues at all. I can alot more that I could the first few months. It is getting harder to be good.

Yeah, I'm struggling with being "good" too. When my weight loss stalls, as it seems to a lot, I get discouraged and tend to eat more. But if I lose a pound or two I'm much more motivated to eat better. Hmmm....maybe I should stay away from the scale! :)

Yeah, I'm struggling with being "good" too. When my weight loss stalls, as it seems to a lot, I get discouraged and tend to eat more. But if I lose a pound or two I'm much more motivated to eat better. Hmmm....maybe I should stay away from the scale! :)

Today I am ready to go to Burger King and have a Whopper! I am so disgusted with this whole process, feel like I made a huge mistake! Not only have I not lost any weight during the last week, I've put two lbs back on! While I eat less than 1,000 calories a day...tell me how that works! My husband has lost 15 lbs since my surgery, just adjusting to me not having all the usual junk food around and eating a little more sensibly. I on the other hand went through all of this, and I am getting nowhere. I understand we all reach stalls, but I really don't understand why. I could eat 1,500 calories before and the weight would FALL off me! I've tried kicking my calories up a little bit, I've tried lowering them a little bit, I've tried exercising like crazy...nothing makes a difference. I feel like I've done something really bad to my body where it no longer works. :( I wish I could undo this, but I don't want to go back through surgery. It was hard enough the first time.

I am so very sorry that you're feeling so bad. I too have felt exactly how you are feeling right now. Try very hard to remember the reasons why you had this surgery. For me I didn't have health issues. Not yet anyway. I had the surgery to avoid those problems that I would be sure to get eventually.

I went through many ups and downs over the last 10 months since surgery. When you finally completely realize that there is no turning back then there is acceptance. I was 46 years years old and SICK AND TIRED of being fat!!! I was ready to do something about it. I didn't want to live the rest of my life fat.

Now to talk about the fact that you're not losing right now. I sooooooooooo understand where you're coming from. Believe me. I have only lost 8 lbs since Christmas. 1 lb in the last month. It gets very, very discouraging. You have heard it before and I'll tell you again, eat your Protein. Don't eat bread or Pasta or Cookies or any kind of junk. If you do, eat very little of it. You should be getting most or allof your nutrition from Protein. meats, cheeses, nuts, cottage cheese, Beans, milk. Vegies if you have room in your tummy. Walk walk walk or whatever you like for exercise. Water, Water, water.

Yes, you have changed the way you eat forever. But think about how healthy you're going to be. How great you're going to look. Those cute outfits in the misses department and not the womens department. I've gone from a womens 22 to a 14. I'm not at goal yet but am very happy with where I'm at. There are those around you who have lost very quickly. I know a lady who started out at 298 and had her surgery 1 day before me. She has lost 160 lbs. I have only lost 62 lbs. I get discouraged when I see that. You only can look at yourself and not compare. Think about how you were losing weight before. Probably not at all. Think about what you've lost so far. IT WILL COME OFF. But you need to follow the program and keep working. This is not the easy way out. In some ways, it is more difficult than without surgery. We can't turn back. Keep your chin up. Ask God for help. I ask Him daily to help me through this ordeal.

It is worth it. I wouldn't undo my surgery for a million bucks.

Wishing you well, Julie

I am so very sorry that you're feeling so bad. I too have felt exactly how you are feeling right now. Try very hard to remember the reasons why you had this surgery. For me I didn't have health issues. Not yet anyway. I had the surgery to avoid those problems that I would be sure to get eventually.

I went through many ups and downs over the last 10 months since surgery. When you finally completely realize that there is no turning back then there is acceptance. I was 46 years years old and SICK AND TIRED of being fat!!! I was ready to do something about it. I didn't want to live the rest of my life fat.

Now to talk about the fact that you're not losing right now. I sooooooooooo understand where you're coming from. Believe me. I have only lost 8 lbs since Christmas. 1 lb in the last month. It gets very, very discouraging. You have heard it before and I'll tell you again, eat your Protein. Don't eat bread or Pasta or Cookies or any kind of junk. If you do, eat very little of it. You should be getting most or allof your nutrition from Protein. meats, cheeses, nuts, cottage cheese, Beans, milk. Vegies if you have room in your tummy. Walk walk walk or whatever you like for exercise. Water, Water, water.

Yes, you have changed the way you eat forever. But think about how healthy you're going to be. How great you're going to look. Those cute outfits in the misses department and not the womens department. I've gone from a womens 22 to a 14. I'm not at goal yet but am very happy with where I'm at. There are those around you who have lost very quickly. I know a lady who started out at 298 and had her surgery 1 day before me. She has lost 160 lbs. I have only lost 62 lbs. I get discouraged when I see that. You only can look at yourself and not compare. Think about how you were losing weight before. Probably not at all. Think about what you've lost so far. IT WILL COME OFF. But you need to follow the program and keep working. This is not the easy way out. In some ways, it is more difficult than without surgery. We can't turn back. Keep your chin up. Ask God for help. I ask Him daily to help me through this ordeal.

It is worth it. I wouldn't undo my surgery for a million bucks.

Wishing you well, Julie

First of all, let me apologize for the meltdown. Not that it excuses it, but a lot has been going on since I got my surgery. I came back from Mexico, only to have finals for my last class for my MBA, lots of family issues, and career stress. I have been feeling very down about everything in general, not just this surgery. Second of all, I want to thank you for the post, Julie, it meant a lot to me at a very dark moment!

I have realized that I have to stay off the scale everyday, and as you said, this is not the easy way out. I knew about stalls going into this, but I just wasn't expecting one so soon. I have done a lot of second guessing myself after seeing all the forums with Gastric Bypass and Sleevers who have already lost triple + what I have lost...then I have to remind myself why I didn't want those surgeries in the first place. I chose plication because it is less invasive, allows me to keep that extra part of my stomach (should I ever need it...know someone who had to have that made into an esophagus when they developed esophageal cancer, and that made me want to keep that option) and the slower weight loss will give my skin a chance to "catch up" with the weight loss more...and hopefully result in less loose, drapey skin at the end. Sometimes it's just hard to see the wood for the trees, and my husband has had to remind me (as did Julie) that this is for the long haul and it's not just about losing all the weight instantly, but getting healthier and staying healthy in the end.

As it's only three weeks post surgery, I don't know exactly how I feel about everything, but I suspect that in the long run I will be 100% glad that I had the surgery and wouldn't undo it for anything either...right now I am back and forth, depending on the day and the hour and what is going on. In ways it has been really easy. I NEVER had any nausea, I've tolerated everything I tried as the time came to eat new things, and initially I lost weight very fast. Now I guess it's just time to settle into life with gastric plication and take it day by day, but realize it's for the long haul.

Take care all!

CC

P.S. I didn't have a Whopper...I had one French fry...and to be honest it didn't taste that great, LOL!

Chow chows,

Your post made me smile. Sounds like you feel a little better today and I'm glad for that. If I have a bad day in eating specifically. I keep reminding myself, "One day at a time." Tomorrow is a new day and I have a clean slate tomorrow. Feel free to pm me or on the boards.

Take care and have a great Friday.

Julie

First of all, let me apologize for the meltdown. Not that it excuses it, but a lot has been going on since I got my surgery. I came back from Mexico, only to have finals for my last class for my MBA, lots of family issues, and career stress. I have been feeling very down about everything in general, not just this surgery. Second of all, I want to thank you for the post, Julie, it meant a lot to me at a very dark moment!

I have realized that I have to stay off the scale everyday, and as you said, this is not the easy way out. I knew about stalls going into this, but I just wasn't expecting one so soon. I have done a lot of second guessing myself after seeing all the forums with Gastric Bypass and Sleevers who have already lost triple + what I have lost...then I have to remind myself why I didn't want those surgeries in the first place. I chose plication because it is less invasive, allows me to keep that extra part of my stomach (should I ever need it...know someone who had to have that made into an esophagus when they developed esophageal cancer, and that made me want to keep that option) and the slower weight loss will give my skin a chance to "catch up" with the weight loss more...and hopefully result in less loose, drapey skin at the end. Sometimes it's just hard to see the wood for the trees, and my husband has had to remind me (as did Julie) that this is for the long haul and it's not just about losing all the weight instantly, but getting healthier and staying healthy in the end.

As it's only three weeks post surgery, I don't know exactly how I feel about everything, but I suspect that in the long run I will be 100% glad that I had the surgery and wouldn't undo it for anything either...right now I am back and forth, depending on the day and the hour and what is going on. In ways it has been really easy. I NEVER had any nausea, I've tolerated everything I tried as the time came to eat new things, and initially I lost weight very fast. Now I guess it's just time to settle into life with gastric plication and take it day by day, but realize it's for the long haul.

Take care all!

CC

P.S. I didn't have a Whopper...I had one French fry...and to be honest it didn't taste that great, LOL!

I had my surgery in July of last year. Almost 10 months out now. I've lost 60 lbs so far. 23 to go. Very slow the last 4 months. Only lost 7 lbs since Christmas. I weigh the same for a month now. I'm definitely losing a lot slower than those with other surgeries. No issues at all. I can alot more that I could the first few months. It is getting harder to be good.

Hi, I just had mine done 5 day's ago. I am tired and am unable to walk alot as I get breathless, which is weird cause I never had that problem before. Has anyone on here had the same problem?

Hi, I just had mine done 5 day's ago. I am tired and am unable to walk alot as I get breathless, which is weird cause I never had that problem before. Has anyone on here had the same problem?

I hope you are feeling better now that it has been almost 2 weeks since this post. I'm sure this was just your body trying to recover.

I love my plication. I did go through a stall ...then gain a pound..lose a pound but now I am loosing again. I have lost 22 pounds in the 7 weeks but wish it was more. The only complaint that I had was that I was extremely tired. I could hardly make it through the day. I emailed Dr. Ortiz and had a reply the same day saying that I was dehydrated. Sure enough I increased my liquids and I feel so much better. I don't have much of an appetite but I am eating more. Please don't give up and I hope you are feeling better.

Today I am ready to go to Burger King and have a Whopper! I am so disgusted with this whole process, feel like I made a huge mistake! Not only have I not lost any weight during the last week, I've put two lbs back on! While I eat less than 1,000 calories a day...tell me how that works! My husband has lost 15 lbs since my surgery, just adjusting to me not having all the usual junk food around and eating a little more sensibly. I on the other hand went through all of this, and I am getting nowhere. I understand we all reach stalls, but I really don't understand why. I could eat 1,500 calories before and the weight would FALL off me! I've tried kicking my calories up a little bit, I've tried lowering them a little bit, I've tried exercising like crazy...nothing makes a difference. I feel like I've done something really bad to my body where it no longer works. :( I wish I could undo this, but I don't want to go back through surgery. It was hard enough the first time.

I'm band plication and soooo happy. I had hunger pangs 2 days after surgery, and have been eating since 5 days out (ok with dr). I'm now eating 1/4-1/8 of what I used to, and drop a pound almost every day. I feel amazing.

For those who arent losing as expected - are you eating carbs? My diet is less than 30g of non veg/protein carbs a day. Usually I eat less than 20g. I'd recommend totally wiping the carbs out - I bet you'll start seeing a loss. HTH

At two weeks out I was losing 1.5 lbs a day...then it stopped abruptly. It took awhile to come back, but now I'm losing about 7-8 lbs a month (almost 3 months out). The early days are nice, when the weight falls off at such a quick pace it's incredible. Just try not to get too discouraged when it stops or slows. It most likely will come back, although slower. A couple of people on here have had the weight loss end at that point (and are very unhappy with the surgery because of that), but most of us just slow down and settle into a slow, but steady, weight loss. I will take it over not losing, or gaining. I was very scared that I was going to be a failure when I first stopped (because it had been going so well up to that point and I stalled so early into the game). Good luck in the journey!

For those of you who have had the Plication surgery, how are you all feeling about it so far? No matter what stage you're in or how far along you are!