Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The key to the success of any bariatric surgery is the all important Prime Directive - lifestyle changes. You have made the commitment to the lifestyle changes that work best for you. Good for you! You're gonna love the new you!!

I don't know what kind of surgeon your going to too but it is extremely offensive to say that nutritionists are lazy college students. Maybe your nut is but what you said is ridiculous. An endocrinologist does not have the same education or special interest as a dietician and nutritionist. You are being rather righteous and you are not a Bariatric surgeon or even a doctor. If you think you know everything then maybe you should go to medical school. You haven't even had surgery so please don't try to talk about our Protein intake or success. You haven't even started your protein brand. You sound like an extremist and an alarmist that will believe anything you hear! If you think your way is the end all be all then why are you having surgery? This is a supportive site but you will not find your opinion and your judgemental attitude very appreciated. Let me know when your 9 years post op and have actually lived post op life. Good luck on your high horse.

The absolute only person who was supportive of my choice of wanting a vegan whole food non gmo Protein Shake was Tizzle. If you have a problem with her knowledge on today's food when most Americans have no clue what they are eating they just eat it, you can PM her and let other people with a better attitude than yours post on my question.

I find it humorous that you assume I have no knowledge of the food industry. I most certainly do and I have almost a decade worth of knowledge of how RNY works and what you need to eat to lose weight and maintain weight loss. The reason there is little support of this "garden of life" vegan stuff is because you will not be able to get in enough Protein, good fats and starches with a vegan diet as a post op bariatric patient. I'm not saying that "normal" (people w/o RNY) can be healthy following a vegan or vegetarian diet but those people don't have the malabsorption

problem and they can eat a substantial bit more food. As patients we can't live on Protein Shakes for life. They are supplements meant especially for the early stages of post op since it is impossible to get the high numbers of Protein we need. Some people still use shakes well after they are post op but they are not the main source. Just like Adkins, Southbeach, Paleo, etc... the "eat clean" all organic stuff is a fad diet. These are just junk words. Organic has no qualified meaning. Any company can put the word organic on a box. If you pick an good surgeon from a Bariatric Center of Excellence who has a qualified nut with a specialization in Bariatric nutrition and they instruct you to follow this type of diet then so be it and good luck. The surgeon and nut know best so follow their rules.

Pear, you say any company could put organic on a box. That is not true. There are speciic legal organic standards that have to be met.

Altho I never eat anything that comes in a box except Protein powder and supplements. ALL food that comes in a box, even if it has 100% USA Certified Organic ingredients - and you can't claim that unless it is true and proven -- is also full of chemicals.

Take shredded cheese. Even organic shredded cheese has a chemical added to it to keep the bits of shredded cheese from clumping because cheese without the chemical clumps. It is not just a fat. Chemicals in food are not just a fad. They are real and the crap foods highly processed and sold in boxes is why many americans get so fat they need bariatric surgery.

You can't rewrite reality. Organic is not something anyone can slap on a box.

I eat only foods I buy fresh. I actually make my own coconut milk, coconut and almond flouer (for the high Protein and low carb content) because there is NO cocomilk sold without carrageenan, a known carcinogen. It is extremely hard to buy food that is not full of chemicals. The chemicals are cheaper than food, which is why corporations add them but charge as if you are getting only food.

After my surgery, I will eat the way I am now. I'm not committed to vegan. I do plan to eat one Protein shake every day the rest of my life -- for the Protein, yes, but also because it is a convenient way to add all the stuff I'll have to take the rest of my life in one yummy - cause I make great shakes -- to compensate for malabsorption. I am already on the post op suppps to get used to it, as required by my surgeon.

candy, I had not realized Calcium came in liquild form -- good to know. I have ordered some and will add to my daily shake.< /p>

I am envisioning myself perpetually sipping a shake for the rest of my life.

It's not true, Pear, that one can't get enough nutrients on a vegan diet -- maybe such a choice means different supplements but everyone has to do the supps if they do the RnY. What's a couple more tossed into the Protein Shake going to mean?

Everyone that has the RnY deals with malasorption and compensates with supplements. Someone can do a vegan high protein diet and compensate with supplements.

More like the reason I haven't had as many supportive responses is because no one knows anything about RAW WHOLE food NON GMO Protein shakes not because 'I won't get enough protein'. I can certainly get what I need on a whole food diet free of GMO's which is what most of the food you are probably eating contains. Tizzie is correct, just because it's labeled organic does not make it 100% organic companies still use chemicals and addictive's in their products.

You have been unhelpful on every single one of my posts Pear, so why don't you just try to ignore me instead of hunt me down to post nothing but condescending comments?

You want to keep eating unhealthy, that's your problem not mine. I however am going to make a difference in my diet that matters.

I might as well report here, candy, since you and I seem to be the only folks in this support website who have tried vegan protein: The Warrior Blend of raw vegan Protein powder -- they have two kinds, I passed on their main one which is lots cheaper cause it was only rice Protein -- and I got the blend that has protein from hemp, pea and cranberry.Who knew cranberry had significant protein?!!! not me!

I got natural flavor so the flavor is the same as the natural whey.

The vegan Protein Powder is gritty -- I feel the grit crunching on my teeth. I could live with that. But something in it seems to cause painful bloat in my stomach.

I have been using 100% organic and raw whey protein for a couple years and I am likely going to switch back. I might try Garden of Life but the raw organic whey works so well for me that I am probabl gonna stick with it.

But I will use up the 2.2 pounds of Warrior Blend I have -- not gonna waste it.

Thanks for the WArrior tip -- never heard of that brand. I am glad to hear you seem to like your NUT. I have yet to meet one that seemed very intelligent. They all tell me didfferent things. My nurse case manager just told me yesterday that most nutritionists are lazy college students who major in nutrition when they figure out nursing is harder and their knowledge greatly depends on the quality of their school and not that many good nutrition programs.

The nutritionist my surgeon uses is a ninny but my endocrinologist has an awesome one who has written two textbooks on nutrition. I still have to use the ninny -- but just once -- and I get my real NUT advice my my endo's gal.

Not true! My son's girlfriend is a nutritionist with a PHd and an MS in sports medicine...hardly lazy! She's also a vegetarian. She does say that it's possible to be vegan as a gastric bypass patient, albeit difficult, especially in the first six months. She disagrees with you about whey isolate, and says it's the most complete choice for most patients. I would prefer soy, but it is not a good choice for rny patients with thyroid issues. I applaud you for your commitment to a vegan, organic lifestyle, and hope you have success post op.

deaddemmama . . . your son's girlfriend, in spite of her PhD and MS, is just one opinion. I see a world renown endocrinologist and he conducts nutrition research on diabetics yet when I asked him for nutrition advice, he said very little is actually known about food and its relatinship to health and he could not help me with nutrition. He also gave me advice that did not help me manage my diabetes - his advice made me suffer needlessly.

When I was at my bariatric clinic recently, I talked to the nurse about how every doctor I talk to gives me completely different advice, she said "it is called the practice of medicine for a reason, with an emphasis on practice".

You could line up ten NUT's and each one could easily have entirely different advice about nutrition for any health challenge.

Your PhD son's NUT girlfriend has her opinions. Dr. Mercola is adamantly against whey isolate, as are many other MD's but he is 'famous'. My views on whey isolate have been support by many NUT's.

Your son's girlfriend is certainly entitled to her opinion but I think it is critical that anyone undergoing the major choice of bariatric surgery get it into their heads: no one really knows for sure that what they tell you is right.

People have to take charge of their own health and lives and trust their intuition and trust their bodies and do their own research. A Phd in nutrition reflects the approch at her school -- not the full spectrum of nutrition knowledge.

You and your son's girlfriend are entitled to your opinions on whey isolate. Many, many health care professionals, including MD's, homeopaths and chiropractors that I personally kow are opposed to whey isolate.

There is no one right answer.

The process if creating whey isolate was originally designed for body builders, not weight loss surgery patients. It is done to maximize growing muscle, not weight loss. The process to create whey isolate denuse the whey of vital, healthy fats that the body needs, esp. after surgery. The whey isolate might be easier to digest in the early weeks post bariatric surgery but as a long term choice, whey isolate is not considered superior by many professional health care people.

Have not slept much to get into the discussion but I am going to try out Jay Robbs all Natural whey isolate so if anyone on this thread has feedback (including you Tizzie!) it is much appreciated. Finding a natural non gmo Protein has been a lot harder than I thought.

I am unfamliar with Jay Robbs but I only buy organic. Natural flavor, though, will give you unlimited flavor possibilities. You can add it to chicken broth and boost Protein intake. My thoughts on isolate are not popular here and I have shared them but you have been kind and police, candy. Thanks.

I came here to ask you if you know about chia seeds? Chia seeds are high in Protein, high in Omega 3 fats which we all need, and chia seeds have ALL the amino acids in a very low cal, good Fiber way. Some of the Fiber is soluble, some not.

I might post chia seeds as a topic to hear from folks who have already had the surgery. Chia seeds expand when they get wet. This is just fine. A person eating vegan can use a chia seed gel (just add Water to the seeds and let it sit about ten minutes and you get a gel) that can be substituted for eggs in baking. There are many low carb flours in the world -- I make my own coconut milk and then coconut flour, buy almond flour (but I just ordered a Vitamix and soon will be able to make almond milk and then use the leftover almond pulp to also make almond flour!).

I dont think anyone immediately after the surgery, before their new stomachs have healed, could ever eat dry chia seeds. You wouldn't want the dry seeds to expand in your new tin tummy. But if you make a gel and eat a tablespoon or two, it is super nutrient.

Since you started this thread talking about trying to do things vegan, you definitely want to know how to integrate chia seeds into your diet, if not immediately post op, then when you stomach has healed and you are established on solid foods again.

You mentioned a concern about amino acids: chia seeds solves it.

Any natural flavor whey, whole or isolate, is very versatile, Candy. I bet you will enjoy the unlimited possibilities of the natural whey you just bought. You can add flavors -- like using Davinci sugar free syrups and vanilla extract, use stevia (the only non-sugar sweetener I use but I might give up stevia . . . I am still researching it). You can put it in any smoothie. If I need protein, I might put in a scoop into a raw green smoothie. I know one can't do raw greens right after surgery -- in fact, an post surgery WLS patients ever eat raw green salads again? I could live without green salads but I love my raw green smoothies.

anyway, think about chia seeds: they are low cal, low carb, vegan and provide all the amino acids.

and good luck with the natural whey. I'll look at Jay Robb but I have decided that after I eat all the whey protein I have, I am done with whey because it comes from cows and I have made the personal decision to never do cow products ever ever ever again. No more dairy for me.

Eventually, I hope to give up my Protein Powder habit. Oh, I know post op, the high levels of protein are hard to get in witohut protein powder so I aint giving it up soon but I am done with whey. I have decided to follow the TQI Diet, which is antiinflammatory and will benefit several of my chronic health challenges, like arthritis and the TQI diet says no dairy ever. Bye bye whey for me! But several friends are on it and rave about it. And you can eat as much as you want as long as you follow the rules. It was develoepd by a lawyer turned biochemist! ABaskal I think is her name. If you are interested just to learn more about nutrition, google TQI diet. But her website is carefully designed so you don't get much info without paying. I am writing too much -- I tend to ramble, as you have seen before.

Good luck with Jay Robb natural flavor whey isolate. I never looked for natural whey isolate so none of my suggestions included it.

it's so hard to know what to do, isn't it? On any subject, or any food, there are so many different opinions and by experts. I have an endocrinologist, a primary care doc, a hematologist and a homeopath. they all advise completely different approaches to nutrition. Same with NUT's -- you could line up ten and get ten different opinoins. IN the end, we have to trust our own inner guidance on the right choice.

You said, candy, that it was hard to find natural whey isolate. Did you read my private messages? I sent you specific names of natural organic whole whey --- admittedly I did not give info on isolates cause I don't use them.

Sorry none of my suggestions worked out. Protein 17 is an excellent natural whey, and so is rawwheyprotein -- that is what it is called. but they aren't isolates.

There is no one right answer. We all have to figure out what is right for ourselves.