Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do revisions lose slower?

I have read several comments that revision patients don't lose as fast as "virgins". Why is that? I am back at my pre and starting weight, so it's not like I only have a little to lose.....

Dunno! I think my metabolism was fried from starving myself with the band. I'm not doing bad at all, just definitely not as quick as many. I'll take it!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 204.2

I. Also thing my body was so happy with getting food after suffering from the band...

Im now 10.5 months post revision ... Down 120 pounds. !!! And feeling great. I was never a big loser week by week, the weight was lost slowly with the help of alot of sport and i think also not panicking too much. I took/take everyday by day. Never getting too obsessed by the scale and by enjoying every bit i can now manage to put in my mouth. I am SO enjoying feeling full and not suffering with the horrible effects of the band

I have had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (stomach stapling) many years ago and am petrified of having a revision to Gastric Bypass. To me, it would feel like a death sentence with getting sick and throwing up and dumping and not being able to eat and drink at the same time.

I have been accustomed to having food and Water be stuck in the pouch area and then painfully push through at some point. When that happened, i could eat again. Now, i have a stricture and am in such a panic over this, everyday is a struggle with anxiety and feeling of nausea and things coming up it's terrible.

I already vision how much worse it would be with gastric bypass. :(

They lose slower because their body has already adapted to a weight loss surgery.

We only have an open window of 12 to 18 months to lose weight before our bodies naturally adapt to the surgery. During this period we only take in a portion of our calories that are ate and also after surgery our metabolism is reset and a few genes are altered.

It takes about 12 to 18 months for our bodies to figure out how to adapt back to the old us. It will never adapt all the way... Like taking in nutrients properly .. taking Vitamins will be a forever task.

With revisions.. the body has already been fooled so its really only working on losing weight on the small portions you take in. Some folks get lucky and can fool their body twice.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 164.0 lbs. --- Only 14 lbs to my goal ---

I have had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (stomach stapling) many years ago and am petrified of having a revision to Gastric Bypass. To me' date=' it would feel like a death sentence with getting sick and throwing up and dumping and not being able to eat and drink at the same time.

I have been accustomed to having food and Water be stuck in the pouch area and then painfully push through at some point. When that happened, i could eat again. Now, i have a stricture and am in such a panic over this, everyday is a struggle with anxiety and feeling of nausea and things coming up it's terrible.

I already vision how much worse it would be with gastric bypass. :([/quote']

I had my GBS on June 4th. I have had no issues at all! I think each person is different. It is likely you could be just like me! Best decision I ever made!

They lose slower because their body has already adapted to a weight loss surgery.

We only have an open window of 12 to 18 months to lose weight before our bodies naturally adapt to the surgery. During this period we only take in a portion of our calories that are ate and also after surgery our metabolism is reset and a few genes are altered.

It takes about 12 to 18 months for our bodies to figure out how to adapt back to the old us. It will never adapt all the way... Like taking in nutrients properly .. taking Vitamins will be a forever task.

With revisions.. the body has already been fooled so its really only working on losing weight on the small portions you take in. Some folks get lucky and can fool their body twice.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 164.0 lbs. --- Only 14 lbs to my goal ---

True...but we didn't have the malabsorption portion prior to this which is really what pushes the initial loss... Whatever! As long as the darn thing works I'm absolutely cool with slow and steady!!

I have read several comments that revision patients don't lose as fast as "virgins". Why is that? I am back at my pre and starting weight' date=' so it's not like I only have a little to lose.....[/quote']

Our metabolisms are lower. They get lower anytime you lose weight. Even after I gained mine was still shot. The only thing that improves metabolism is strength training and eating regularly. I starved myself the last three years of my band and ended up going forty pounds due to food games. RNY allows me to eat smaller healthier meals which I hope will bring ny RMR up.