Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else ever broken a scale by stepping on it?

kyethra

This happened to me in January, after I had decided on the band. I was lying in bed with my husband waiting to go to sleep and I was feeling the rolls of flab. He asked me what I was doing. So I told him and I mentioned that sometimes I wondered if the flab wouldn't swallow me whole and that on occasions I thought of myself as sort of like pizza the hut from spaceballs and that I was worried I maybe gained a few pounds. So he said I should get up and weigh myself then because I would feel better once I got it over and knew if I had gained weight and how much.

So I said ok. I put the scale on the middle of the bathroom floor. I step on the scale. As I am stepping on the scale, the plastic on the edge of it cracks! I broke the scale! And it didn't register weight properly after that. So of course I was mad at my husband for telling me it would make me feel better! Breaking it did not make me feel better. I was also mad at the scale manufacturers since the scale was supposed to support up to 300 pounds and I only weighed 285ish. Which is less than 300! Then my husband fixed the scale by putting a piece of laminet flooring accross it which made the readings accurate. I had only gained one pound!

Then I thought the whole thing was hilarous. I was laughing about it for days! I couldn't wait to tell all of my friends the story of the broken scale! They knew I was getting the Lap band and was just waiting for insurance to approve it.

Anyone else?

Neal, I loved someone's sig line that used to say "Starting weight: E" :) I can SO relate to that!

I never broke a scale but I totally broke a chair once. You know those chairs made out of aluminum tubing and wicker that are sort of S shape? There's nothing holding you up except the bent metal in the front. I was sitting on one in a hotel room once when it slowly gave way. Thankfully, I was alone, but it was a bitch getting out of that!

I'm still scared of those chairs. :paranoid

Neal, I loved someone's sig line that used to say "Starting weight: E" :) I can SO relate to that!

Not the dreaded "E". :(. It might as well have said "get your fat a$$ off me, your hurting me!" That's how it made me feel:( Iam so weary of those chairs too.

I didnt break the scale, but those one of those flimsy metal message chairs. I went to sit on the chair and there is a rest for your head and one for your arms to cross in the front. Well, as I sat, I put too much weight on my hand and snapped the arm rest right off.

I was soooooooo embarassed! AND It was right in the MIDDLE OF THE MALL.

ugh.

My high weight was 425 freaking pounds!

I used to go down to shipping and recieving at my job and get on the industrial package scale to weigh myself!

Talk about embarassing, but I was on a diet and HAD TO KNOW, ya know?

Besides, I'm a guy, so it was always like a big laugh with the coworkers that I was such a massive dude...

I carried it really well at 6'6", but I was dying from it nonetheless.

I'll never go back there, though. It's banded or bust now.

I never broke a scale, but when I was a teenager my mom bought a stair stepper used.. and the cord on it that made the whole thing work snapped when I was using it. I don't think it was entirely because of my weight, but damn...

I never broke a scale but I broke my brother's stepstool. It was rated for 200 pounds and I weighed 220. The damn thing just collapsed and I was hanging on the cabinet with my stomach. It really bruised my stomach. I immediately went out and got a little ladder rated at 300 pounds, but I started thinking of doing something about my weight about then.

I had the outer case of a scale crack, my current scale is a speaking scale, it says hello then has to calibrate it self, once its ready it announces "im ready" but t really sounds like it is through gritted teeth because I am about to inflict pain on it! why couldn't they use some like harrison ford as the voice instead of a very whiny little old lady!

BTW Jachut, I can relate to almost destroying a set of scales because I did not like what they said.

Have not broken a chair but have been folded up inside one, one of the folding camping chairs folded up when I sat down- I could not budge as my weight on the seat kept it in the folded position! I was with friends around a camp fire, they only helped me out AFTER they had all run back to thr tents to find there cameras to take pictures!! What are friends for!

Thats what I did- broke the outer casing!

I haven't broken a chair yet, but sometimes I hear creaks that make me nervous.

My husband has a mini. I've explained to him that if I start driving again (I have narcolepsy and need to get more awake and get the narcolepsy under better control) I want to get a bigger car. The mini is a little car. Yes the seatbelt fits and if I slide the seat back I have leg room. But the seats are sort of narrow for a big girl like me. And sometimes when I get in the seat and I hear this big creak! At first I thought I was breaking the seat. And I was thinking "Oh great, I'm breaking the new mini". Then I realized it was just the seat settling into position in the track when when it had been moved or whatever.

I avoid delicate looking chairs-- Just in case. I think of shallow Hal where Gwenyth Paltrow breaks a chair at the restaurant -- I worry about that being me.

Never broke the scale but went to a picnic one sunny afternoon, sat down on the seat of the picnic table (no one was on the other side) and the whole table flipped over!! I cried I was so embarrassed, it's funny now. One of those "that was then, this is now" moments.

I broke a scale once by throwing it out of the bathroom window on the third floor of the house I was living in. Then I went down into the yard, picked it up and threw it against a tree till it shattered. Nuff said.:opps2:

I never broke a scale but I totally broke a chair once. You know those chairs made out of aluminum tubing and wicker that are sort of S shape? There's nothing holding you up except the bent metal in the front. I was sitting on one in a hotel room once when it slowly gave way.

I was sitting at our kitchen table with my husband and son. I leaned back to reach something on the counter...it was like slow motion. I was so pissed. And yes it was a bitch getting up from the floor. I'm glad they were the only ones there.