Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping for Surgery. All Dr.'s info and pricing appreciated

I heard from my company insurance and now I don't feel so bad. My company was denied by BCBC of Florida for adding Gastric surgery to our plan. So I'm now shopping for surgery.

((Transportation/flight is not an issue)) My sister is a flight attendent so I fly for free.

I'm looking for experience, travel (meaning I get off the plane and they have a shuttle there), the kind of medical facility we are use to in the U.S., can speak English fluently or has a translator available, and hotel stay.

I'd like to be in and out for no more than $10,000 U.S. Fills and post op support are important.

I'd love to hear from everyone.

Thanks.

Damn! I was hoping they would get approved!

You fought a good fight and really helped a lot of people over on the insurance board!

That Said:

www.lapbandrockies.com (Denver under 10K)

Tallgrass Surgical Center in Topeka Kansas (TravelGirl went there)

I believe it is under 10K as well.

And the entire Mexican circuit.. yesterday I saw a really detailed thread on this that listed ALL of them and their prices.

Hi Tracy!

I am not faint of heart because nothing will stop me from having this surgery. It would have been NICE but I'm still learning and still enjoying the journey. I know soon I'll be walking without huffing, sitting comfortably and taking long, long, walks with my husband.

Still going Eveready style!

I had to pay cash for my surgery. I was denied by both my insurance.

Baton Rouge, La Dr. Drake Bellanger at vista Hospital. $12900.00 for everything including your f/u visits for 1 year. Great f/u support his office is in the same place as the hospital.

I too was self pay and myself and funny and Tracy all went to Dr. Sanchez and Dr. Zapata in Monterrey Mexico and it was a wonderful experience. Right now it's 8500.00 which includes everything and I can also get you 1000.00 off of that for a limited time. He does surgery at Santa Agracias Hospital which is a full trauma hospital, which is gorgeous. It includes all your travel needs while there and transportation, tests, meds, eats for yourself and also covers all your surgery, hospital, anthesiaology and one person to go with you. I have great pictures and you can also go to www.ready4achange.com and they will have everything you need there. I lost 60 pounds the first 5 1/2 months but still need to loose 50 more. I had absolutely no problems and they speak English, and you can call the surgeon day or night on his cell and he answers it if you have problems. PM me if you'd like more info.

Best of luck to you and on your banding decision. Whoever does yours will change your life and make you very happy.

I've copied this from an old post:

i copied this info from another site... it is dated in 2003, but hey if the websites still work well then all the better! LOL

Dr. Rodriguez - Accuna - $6500 (does not include air, transportation into Mexico, or hotel) JoseBand.com This doctor is very popular with his patients. He operates our of a smaller hospital. You fly into San Antonio and then travel to Accuna. One of Dr. Rodriguez's former patients will transport you for a fee. While Dr. Rodriguez was the least expensive surgeon I found, the flight to San Antonio was more expensive for me than to San Diego, and I was worried about the distance from any state of the art medical facilities and the logistics of traveling the significant distance from San Antonio to Accuna. You cannot take a rented car across the border.

Dr. Rumbaut - Monterey - about $10000 LAP-BAND: Dr. R. Rumbaut Diaz

Roberto Rumbaut Diaz (Dr. Rumbaut) was one of the surgeons selected by Inamed for its pre-US clinical trials. The results of his work--and the work of others in Europe--were what allowed the LapBand to be introduced to the US. I know he has placed over 1500 LapBands--I think more than all the Tijuana surgeons combined. The April 2003 edition of Obesity Surgery contains an article of the experiences of over 100 of his surgery patients who received follow-up in the US. Patient communication with Doctor Rumbaut is no problem, as he attended junior high school in Akron, Ohio, is completely fluent in English, and he answers his cell phone himself. Last I checked, his fee was $7500 and the hospital fee was about $2500. If the patient prefers, Doctor Rumbaut will cover the his fees and hospital costs for a flat fee of $10,000. Dr. Rumbaut is one of Inamed's proctor surgeons, supervising the work of those performing their first few LapBand placements.

Dr. Sanchez - Monterey - about $10000 BeLighter.com Dr. Sanchez comes highly recommended and operates out of a nice hospital.

Dr. Kuri - Tijuana - $8500 (does not include air and hotel) LapBandSurgery.com You fly into San Diego, and he will transport you to and from Tijuana. The hotel he recommends is one block from the hospital and charges $65 per night when booked through Dr. Kuri. He works out of a small older hospital which some Americans find disconcerting, but standards of cleanliness are said to be on par with those we expect in America. I have heard no real complaints about Dr. Kuri, but I cannot speak to my own experience as my surgery is scheduled in one week. All fills are free for his patients, though there is a $50 fee for flouro.

Dr. Ortiz & Dr. Lopez - Tijuana - $10,000 (does not include air) obesitycontrolcenter.com These doctors practice together and operate out of a fancier hospital than Dr. Kuri. Their price includes transportation to and from the San Diego airport as well as hotel in what is described as a five star resort. I have not read any complaints about these doctors.

Dr. Joya - Puerto Valletta - $9000 (inclusive) - DrJoya.com I have rarely seen this doctor discussed, so you may want to check into how many bands he has actually placed. I have seen some discussion about dissatisfaction with one of his employees and what was actually included in the inclusive price, but no complaints about the doctor himself.

dr. Ponce de leon - Tijuana - obesity.com

Dr. Robles - Nogales - grshealthy@hotmail.com

Dr. Diaz - Mexico City

Dr. Aguirre - Ensenda - aaguirre@microsol.com.mx

Dr. Gonzalez - Tijuana

Dr. Verbonnen- Tijuana

Dr. Isidro Vera - Tijuana - jisidrovera@aol.com

Dr. Castillo - Irapuato - arturocardiel@yahoo.com.mx

Dr. de la Garza - Monterrey - ObesitySurgery.com.mx

Dr. Tirando -Mazatlan - itirado@mazatlan.com.mx

Sorry to hear things didn't work out with the insurance - at least you know you did EVERYTHING you could! You really have provided some great resources & information in the insurance forum for people in need.

That said ...<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I have researched self pay options because I am nervous about what will happen with my own insurance. If I have to go self-pay I would go to Dr K in Denver.

www.lapbandrockies.com (Denver</ST1:p> under 10K)<O:p

I've emailed with one of the girls in his office a few times and she was really helpful! They charge $9950 total. I think 3 months of after care and fills are included. I forgot to ask but I think it's been posted here that fills are only $15 after that!!! (I could be wrong - sounds too good to be true, right?) If you need to finance, they do not accept Capital One but they do have their own financing option. Care Credit? I haven't looked into the rates or terms of this "loan" .... I would think nothing is going to be as appealing as the medical Cap One program at 1.9% interest for up to 5 years.<O:p</O:p

For Mexico</ST1:p options, Dr Ortiz seems to be the stand out choice!!! <O:p</O:p

I heard from my company insurance and now I don't feel so bad. My company was denied by BCBC of Florida for adding Gastric surgery to our plan. So I'm now shopping for surgery.

((Transportation/flight is not an issue)) My sister is a flight attendent so I fly for free.

I'm looking for experience, travel (meaning I get off the plane and they have a shuttle there), the kind of medical facility we are use to in the U.S., can speak English fluently or has a translator available, and hotel stay.

I'd like to be in and out for no more than $10,000 U.S. Fills and post op support are important.

I'd love to hear from everyone.

Thanks.

Where are you in Florida? I was done at the Surgery Weightloss Center part of University Community Hospital in Tampa. My total package was $16000 but EVERYTHING is included. Including the hernia surgery they had to do while I was in surgery for the lapband. I really like them and trust the center tho I realize you want to spend less. I only have heard of Mexico doing it for like that but then again, you will have to pay for all your fills and follow up care.

I was self pay (12900.00). That includes a year of Dr. Apt and fills. www.whyweight.com in New Orleans, La.

Where are you in Florida? I was done at the Surgery Weightloss Center part of University Community Hospital in Tampa. My total package was $16000 but EVERYTHING is included. Including the hernia surgery they had to do while I was in surgery for the lapband. I really like them and trust the center tho I realize you want to spend less. I only have heard of Mexico doing it for like that but then again, you will have to pay for all your fills and follow up care.

I am near Tampa. I have seen Tampa General/USF with Dr. M. Calling them tomorrow. I called Palms of Pasadena in St. Pete. They are $15,800 all inclusive.

**Dr. Ortiz has sites in the states that he is linking with for fills. There is a center near my home that does the surgery and I would go there for support although they focus on bypass. I still love the people there but they are out of my price range.

My husband and I agree that we should proceed with caution when going out of the country. But so many folks here have done so with success, moreso than those who experienced problems.

We are going to finance. Anyone know a good surgery finance company?

All answers appreciated. Thanks for sharing your experiences. This helps.

I don't believe my insurance experience was a bust. I think it acutally opened the eyes up of our insurance committee at my employer's office. They tried, they went to bat for me but even they were denied. So now they know, they understand.

Sorry to hear things didn't work out with the insurance - at least you know you did EVERYTHING you could! You really have provided some great resources & information in the insurance forum for people in need.

That said ...<O:p</O:p

I have researched self pay options because I am nervous about what will happen with my own insurance. If I have to go self-pay I would go to Dr K in Denver.

I've emailed with one of the girls in his office a few times and she was really helpful! They charge $9950 total. I think 3 months of after care and fills are included. I forgot to ask but I think it's been posted here that fills are only $15 after that!!! (I could be wrong - sounds too good to be true, right?) If you need to finance, they do not accept Capital One but they do have their own financing option. Care Credit? I haven't looked into the rates or terms of this "loan" .... I would think nothing is going to be as appealing as the medical Cap One program at 1.9% interest for up to 5 years.<O:p</O:p

For Mexico</ST1:p options, Dr Ortiz seems to be the stand out choice!!! <O:p</O:p

Candle this is great. I will call them tomorrow. I'm hoping to cut my cost down some without all the tests because...I have had them. They are less than six months and all the required information needed.

1.9 with Cap One. Very good. Got a link?

Thanks again!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Tracy you're my pal. Maybe one day we can meet!

I'm hoping to cut my cost down some without all the tests because...I have had them. They are less than six months and all the required information needed.

Let me know if that works out for you - I may be in the same boat if insurance doesn't work out. I will have had all the pre-op tests completed before I know if I am denied.

Tracy you're my pal. Maybe one day we can meet!

That would be great.... LBT Bash!!!! all zero calorie beverages and healthy finger foods! Crystal Light and Vodka = Zero Carbs and Zero Carbonation RIGHT???? :)

Oh and a friend of mine, used CareCredit for her Tummy Tuck and boob reduction........... she had no problem! (she had the RNY two years ago and lost 110lbs) More now that she had her boobs reduced.. LOL