Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saving for LapBand Surgery (16,000.)

Hi,

They don't tell you it's a knock off version,but if you go onto the website of Dr. Cobourn, it tells you the name of the band he uses and that is the original band that the mississauga offices use. Dr. C was the first Dr. in Ontario (I believe he told me that at the consult appt.) to ever do this type of surgery in Canada and he was trained by the Dr's in the states as well as Europe who first used this band. That gave me enough reason to go with him as I have worked in the medical field and felt very comfortable with his decision to use the original band as opposed to a knock off version. I know that the band he uses has been tested all over the world for many years now and if there are any problems they should have gotten the kinks out of it by now.. I hope this makes sense to you, Maggie:)

Hi again,

If you go onto www.obesitysurgery.ca and click onto the Lapband system it tells you about the band that they use, and it gives you the name of it. so when you are checking other Dr's out, make sure you have that info with you to question them about it. Maggie

Enough with the "knock off" band talk...it only perpetuates untrue rumours. I do not know of any clinic in TO that uses a "knock-off" band. May I remind you that there are different types of bands made by different companies....the clinics in TO use only those approved by Canada.

I would also like to point out that Dr Joffe/Dr Yau were the first to do lapband surgeries in Canada.....

hi: I was banded Feb. 01/07 by Dr. Yau at the Toronto clinic. Dr. Joffee and Dr. Yau are the two doctors that pioneered the banding procedure in Canada. There is a news article by CNN Matthews on these two doctors and I assure you they do not use "knockoffs". I was given a French Mid Band because it fit my stomach. The doctors decide at the time of implant which band would be most suitable for the patient. Dr. Colburn is an excellent doctor but so are the two most experienced Dr. Joffee and Dr. Yau. For Canada anyway.

Hi,

Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is what I was told at my consult. Just giving everyone the chance to make sure they get what they are paying for and to do your research on all aspects of this procedure and what is being implanted in you. The Dr. told me that the other bands are considered Knock off versions of the real thing, maybe they work just as well, I don't know, I'm not the Dr. but that is what I was told for sure. He did not mention what clinic's where using it, but he did say that they are Knock off versions of the original band, and he has opted to stay with the original. I questioned him about other bands, he didn't offer me this info, having been in the medical field I am well aware of different brands from different companies, but I have made the decision to go with an original. That is why I told them to check with this clinic in Toronto that nobody has heard of what type of band they are getting.

That is what this board is all about isn't it? sharing info with other's just like everyone else has shared their info? And to remind you, I never once said that Dr. Y or Dr. J are not excellent Doctors, from what I have read, I can see that they are too!!! and I never said that they were implanting the knock off versions, and as I posted, I wasn't sure if he was the first in Canada or not. I was just making sure that they check out this Other clinic that nobody seems to know about!!!

We are all just talking amongst friends and giving everyone the chance to see all aspects of things. Maggie:)

Hi: I guess it is the way I posted but I too never meant to offend. Just to point out that the TLBC does not use knockoffs but uses different bands to ensure the patient has the most suitable one for them. Quite true everyone must research out what they will be doing before surgery, but in Canada anyway, all these bands have been approved by the Govt or they could not be implanted.

(just for the record, I've never heard any talk of knock off bands, nor have I ever heard a claim from Dr. Cobourn or anyone that he was the first in Canada or Ontario to do banding. I don't think he would say that, being as most people KNOW that it was Joffe/Yau (along with Leung, right?) that were the 'pioneers', and it's not exactly well kept secret. If you got that from talking to anyone, it was probably a complete misunderstanding. Also, if you really truly believe that you were told those 2 things, I'd ask Dr. C in his own message board, and I'm sure it would be clarified.)

I do not even think there is such a thing used in Canada, Only 1 band is approved, only 1 is used.

No, there are different "make" of bands (though they are all virtually the same; just made by different companies)...but there are NO "Knockoffs" (Yeeeeesh) used in Canada!!!

All the makes of bands used are, indeed, all approved!

If you are researching lap-band surgeons, another in Toronto is Dr. Laz Klein http://www.misgroup.ca

I had my first consult there, but decided on the TLBC because they have a lot more experience. It also helps that the clinic is within walking distance of my office, so follow-ups and fills will be convenient.

TLBC was using the lap-band but now use the Swedish band made by Johnson & Johnson. They tell me because its a better band; low pressure, fewer problems.

I made an appointment at the toronto cosmetic clinic but i'm seeing a lot of people went to TLBC. I have a consult on april 9th...I will try to get one at the TLBC as well...to compare. How have you liked your TLBC experience?

I'm being banded there on April 5th. The clinic is lovely, the surgical suite is very modern and immaculate. All the people I have met there have been great.

Its quite a different experience with private medicine, rather than OHIP. Its like being treated as a valued client.

Hi: To each his own, but to me the TLBC is the best clinic around. I researched Montreal, Mexico, States and putting all the pieces together, I came up with the TLBC. As for the previous comments about "knockoffs" I believe the use of the word implies "cheap immitations" where the bands in Canada are all approved and meet certain needs. Just like there are medications that are similar, genetic ones are just as good as the originals but "knockoffs" can be inferior. Such is the case of a BC lady who used internet drugs and just recently died from their use. Doddie

Thanks to everyone. I feel like i'm so ready for this. Wish i could get the ball rolling tomorow...well...i guess it is already, but still.