Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The only person that knows about my revision to RNY is my doctor/husband/son and insurance company! That's it, I know the people at church would be VERY upset with my surgery, but I have tried for years to get this weight off and I am ready to go from band to RNY....no date yet!

I feel the same way, the only people I told were my husband and my parents. Even my kids don't know (ages 11 and 13). I don't feel like it's anybody's business but mine and didn't care to hear all the opinions/negativity. When I'm ready to tell people, I will (maybe) but for right now it's just a select few that I know support me/my decision to regain my health.

The only person that knows about my revision to RNY is my doctor/husband/son and insurance company! That's it' date=' I know the people at church would be VERY upset with my surgery, but I have tried for years to get this weight off and I am ready to go from band to RNY....no date yet![/quote']

I too choose not to tell anyone... I just had surgery May 15. A revision from band toRNY. I belong to a small church family and they all now know and are supportive so far but I wish they didn't know. I actually lost 44 lbs since last Aug. But only one person had noticed. I didn't want others to know cause I don't want to be watched and I'm worried I won't be successful.

I support your decision to not tell anyone. It's had when everyone knows and it's hard when your going at it alone. You always have this site!

Xx

Surgery date 7/25/12

I support your decision to not tell anyone. It's had when everyone knows and it's hard when your going at it alone. You always have this site!

Xx

Surgery date 7/25/12

I agree as well. My husbandi is the only one that knows. I am waiting on my insurance now.

I tell everyone that asks. I'm not ashamed to need help and I firmly put people in their place when they have negative comments.I want anyone that is thinking of a choice like this, to come to me and ask if they have questions or are interested in this step. I couldn't lose it alone....I did for years...but as I got older it got so much harder! :) I can understand keeping it private though. I think as with most issues with your body, it's your choice whom you'd like to know things. The boards are always here and we understand!

My husband, kids, and a few coworkers know. My husbands family, all tall slim Norwegians, are negative, judgemental and opinionated. Ditto one coworker. No thank you, I'll pass on negativity, at least until the deed is done and I'm feeling well enough to defend myself, if then. I'm not ashamed of my decision, I'm just avoiding negativity from people who need learn to take care their own business before they start to meddle in mine.

I understand not wanted to share this part of your life with everyone....it is very personal and some people are negative. I experienced that first hand....I'm generally very open about my weight and want to lose weight and this is my last resort and my family, friends, and close co-workers know about. I think it's important for them to know so that when I start eating all wierd they are not puzzled.

I wish I kept it to my self cuz of my struggling with now trying to gain weight. Nothing that I can't fix. :)

When I have plastic surgery only selective ppl will know hubby of course my 16 year old & my mom & 2 sisters & only 2 friends. Then everyone here lmbo the end :) I'm going to have a banging body & I will tell everyone Shaun T lmbo

I'm the same way. I am still in the very early stages of this process, but I am not telling anyone. I don't think it's anyone's business! I just don't know how I'll handle people's questions after surgery :huh:

I told everyone. Those who were negative I stopped talking to, those who were positive and supportive I kept close. It was a good way to weed out toxic people from my life.

I don't regret telling people. This is my new life, and I'm proud of my decision to undergo this procedure, and I want people to know my story, and see how far I've come, and how far I'll go.

The choice to tell people depends on you, if you don't feel comfortable telling people then don't. :)

I envy you. I wish I wouldn't have told any of my coworkers. They are all nasty ladies that will find anything to gossip about. It's a shame. Now I am the office topic and am getting sick of it. It's not that I care what they say (2 of them have had bypass--- they just need someone to talk about). I just wish they would be done with it already. Lol

I envy you. I wish I wouldn't have told any of my coworkers. They are all nasty ladies that will find anything to gossip about. It's a shame. Now I am the office topic and am getting sick of it. It's not that I care what they say (2 of them have had bypass--- they just need someone to talk about). I just wish they would be done with it already. Lol

It must be hard to have to work in an environment like that. That was my biggest fear when I rejoined the workforce after 20yrs, that I would end up with a bunch of catty women. I am most fortunate in that with the exception of a single person, I really like and get along with my coworkers. I had to choose support people at home and at work. These are people who are aware of what's going on who can help me and encourage me through the early stages. At home it's the obvious - my husband and children. At work I have my manager, who had WLS surgery and already is big encouragement to me. I also have my immediate supervisor and a close coworker/friend who will cover for me if I need to rest, eat, drink, or dump. I feel fortunate to have so many good people behind me. :-)

There are some people who don't know. After surgery I don't really care who finds out. It'll be done and they can just deal with it. I just didn't want to be discouraged or badgered beforehand.

thank you for your comments on this. I am having my upper GI this week and blood work, no surgery date yet, but coming after this Thursday, waiting to see the GI reports. I can't wait to get the band off!!! How long did the surgery take from removal of the band to RNY, I am guessing 2 plus hours???? I still haven't told anybody else and I am glad. One lady from church is bugging me about trying the Protein Drinks from Shakley for a diet. She doesn't know what I have planned. Maybe approach her after surgery for Protein Drink help???? Thanks again everybody!

I wasn't going to tell anyone but my spouse at the beginning. Then after my spouse and I separated I realized how lonely it was. I couldn't believe that I hadn't told people that were close to me.

It took some seriously looking into myself, but I found the reason I wasn't willing to tell anyone is because I was ashamed. Not that I was fat, but that I hadn't succeeded on diets. I was worried that everyone would look at me like a failure.

Later that day my son was upset because he couldn't get his shoes on the right feet. As I was helping him, I reminded him that he can always ask for help, it takes a brave person to ask for help.

Duh!! How did I not realize that didn't apply to my life!?! I wasn't a failure, I wasn't some horrible mock up of a person. I was simply asking for help in my weight loss. What a new perspective!! I started telling everyone. Anyone I could. I have been fortunate enough that everyone so far has been really supportive of my decision to better my health. I couldn't be happier that I have a huge group of friends and family that I can lean on.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you decide. Only you know what's best for you.