Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been a long journey, 20 and excited

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but not new to the process. My surgery date is May 20th, 2013! Finally! I have had trouble finding a surgeon that would do the surgery on someone my age, I've actually been trying since I was 17. The first place I went too said that I should wait another 6 months and continue to see a nutritionist and try to lose the weight on my own (despite my own attempts) then 6 months later they told me to wait another 6 months! and then the same thing happened after that! they wanted to give me another 6 months then go for the surgery, so I decided to just stop going. I didn't want to be let down again. At that point I was 18 years old and 285 lbs at 5'3''! After another year of yo-yo dieting, getting down to 240 then up 10 lbs down 5, up 20 down 3... I decided to go for the surgery again at 20, first surgeon didn't want to do the surgery because of my age so then I went to another surgeon, one that my doctor recommended. And everything went great! and the whole process happened so quick, I saw him for the first time 3/22/13 and my surgery is now 5/20/13. I'm on day 2 of my liquid diet, not fun but I am very hopeful and excited! Did anyone else struggle to get to their surgery date? or gave up and decided to go back for it?

Congrats! I am 21 I started my journey at 19. And went through the same bs. But now I am 12 days out and it's well worth it. Message me if you have any questions.

I started when I was 19 but didn't follow through. I wasn't as motivated as I am now. I work for my insurance company so I see the good and bad of getting it, or not getting it, so I'm more educated and determined than ever. Just started my 6 month diet May 1st but excited to share my struggles and triumphs on this forum. After extensive searching for people my age who are in my same situation I finally found it!

Oh I know that search is awful! But there are a few

we are definitely on the same page then, I'm happy I can talk to people who are my own age about this bittersweet journey! haha. talking to anyone helps, but there's something more comforting about talking to people who are dealing with the same things you are dealing with and are closer in age.... you can relate more <3

Congrats! I am 21 I started my journey at 19. And went through the same bs. But now I am 12 days out and it's well worth it. Message me if you have any questions.

congrats to you too! keep in touch, I would love to follow your journey towards WLS success!

I started when I was 21....got frustrated and gave up. Tried every diet under the sun and finally at 28 met an amazing surgeon. Here I am now 29, 7 months post op, 117.8 lbs down and couldn't be happier! Congrats on the surgery date, it will be here before you know it!

congrats to you too! keep in touch' date=' I would love to follow your journey towards WLS success![/quote']

Feel free to pm me any time.

Have you had any complication so far?

Not at all. I am 13days out 31 lbs Down. My doc said I have had the dream recovery. I have had no nausea no pain after day 5. Its been great.

Not at all. I am 13days out 31 lbs Down. My doc said I have had the dream recovery. I have had no nausea no pain after day 5. Its been great.

Awesome! Gives me some hope! I'm healthy besides my weight so hoping I can have a dream recovery too!!

Awesome! Gives me some hope! I'm healthy besides my weight so hoping I can have a dream recovery too!!

I wish you luck. Any questions feel free to pm me

Hi everyone. My story is a little different. I went to a first initial visit a yr ago with my sister. I atended one meeting and I told myself maybe I could do it on my own. So I tried didnt see much success. My sister had her surgery done and me...humm I was struggling. Loosing here..gaining there...and so forth. My sister now looks amazing and I regret it so much. That after seeing her results I decided to go back and start again. I went to my first appt and came across that I lost 10lbs from last yr...its nice but not nice enough when your overweight. I keep looking for motivation...so that "maybe I can do it on my own" doesnt come across my mind. I dont have a surgery date yet...but I dream about it every night!!! This is something that I have wanting for my entire life. I dont know about BCBS paying for cosmetic surg. Luckly my surgeon said I have a good skin that I probably wont need it. Am sorry am new to this app and am just trying to know as many people as I can so I can keep myself motivated in starting this life changing motivation.

Hi everyone. My story is a little different. I went to a first initial visit a yr ago with my sister. I atended one meeting and I told myself maybe I could do it on my own. So I tried didnt see much success. My sister had her surgery done and me...humm I was struggling. Loosing here..gaining there...and so forth. My sister now looks amazing and I regret it so much. That after seeing her results I decided to go back and start again. I went to my first appt and came across that I lost 10lbs from last yr...its nice but not nice enough when your overweight. I keep looking for motivation...so that "maybe I can do it on my own" doesnt come across my mind. I dont have a surgery date yet...but I dream about it every night!!! This is something that I have wanting for my entire life. I dont know about BCBS paying for cosmetic surg. Luckly my surgeon said I have a good skin that I probably wont need it. Am sorry am new to this app and am just trying to know as many people as I can so I can keep myself motivated in starting this life changing motivation.

Welcome. Congratulations on taking this step. I am 2 weeks out down 31 lbs and never felt better. If you have any questions feel free to ask

I have bcbs. They will cover the removal only if it is causing problems (rash infection etc)

I know how you feel! I thought I could do it on my own, yea, well, not happening. It's so hard and I finally had to come to terms that I need this and I need it now because I can't live the rest of my life this way. I don't know how and when I lost control of my weight but it happened and now I'm facing reality. I'm anxiously waiting for these 6 months to fly by so I can get surgery. At least I've made the decision to stick to it. Also, BCBS has a ton of different groups with different clauses. My friend has it and WLS isn't covered at all. My sister has it and hers didn't require any type of supervised diets. Just depends on what your employer purchases.