Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still in the pre-auth phase but I have a couple questions:

I was wondering how soon you can shower after surgery? I can cope with ANYTHING if I can only shower each morning.

How soon did you return to work? I'm planning on taking two weeks off. (I have four weeks sick time saved up).

My doctor let me shower the next day. I did a quick clean up that day and showered the one after. You have a catheter and an iv. So, I waited till I had both out before I did. You could always ask to have your iv removed to shower.....they can just pull the iv off while leaving the port thing in. *this is all dependent on if it's laproscopic and if you have the steristrips.

Oh, and I haven't returned yet. I scheduled 3 weeks off.

I showered two days post surgery in the hospital but that was because I had a little too much narcotic and some nausea problems the first 48 hours. I took six weeks off and it was the best thing I could have done. If you have a desk job I would say 2-3 weeks. If you can do 3 weeks I would you just feel better by then. You will have lifting restrictions first two weeks nothing more then 10 pounds and no more then 30 in a month. I am a RN and lift patients so I really needed the 6 weeks and by the time I returned to work I was eating regular food, had the Vitamin and Water thing down pat.

I showered the day after surgery. I didn't have a catheter at all, so that wasn't an issue. They disconnected the IV for me to shower and I wore a rubber glove on my hand. I went back to work 2 weeks to the day after my surgery. I was tired by the end of the day, but had no issues.

I was in a terrific amount of pain and barely felt like brushing my teeth let alone showering. I had glue instead of stitches and was told I could shower once I got home. Let me tell you, that first shower once i was home was heavenly!!!

I was able to shower the next day after they took out the catheter. I had hoped to go back after 2 weeks (I have a desk job), but I took that extra week. I am glad I did. I was still dog tired by the end of the day.

I didnt shower until i got home from the hospital on day 3.....i just washed off here and there while i was in the hospital. They didnt want me in the shower for some reason. I went back to work 10 days post op at an assisted living facility. And I went back full time at the hospital (floor nurse) 4 weeks post op..... I was a little slow but no major issues.

xo Hilary

As long as your incisions are covered you can shower.

As for work I started a new job a week later. Thankfully we had training for three weeks. The only thing that bothered me was the pants running the incisions.

I'm a bank teller, which is pretty non-physical. But I do stand up all day so I'm worried about that. I'n not worried about pain so much. I had rotator cuff surgery four years ago. I went back after 1 1/2 weeks and worked one-armed for three months. I'm more worried about weakness from not eating so much in the beginning. Has anyone found that to be an issue?

From reading your responses I'm leaning perhaps towards three weeks off. I'll have to play that one by ear.

I'm a bank teller, which is pretty non-physical. But I do stand up all day so I'm worried about that. I'n not worried about pain so much. I had rotator cuff surgery four years ago. I went back after 1 1/2 weeks and worked one-armed for three months. I'm more worried about weakness from not eating so much in the beginning. Has anyone found that to be an issue?

From reading your responses I'm leaning perhaps towards three weeks off. I'll have to play that one by ear.

The longer you can take the better. My first week I was absolutely exhausted and slept alot. My second week I was a tad bit better but only being on full liquids I felt like I was weak. Day 13 post op went to surgeon, diet increased to soft and stitches out so I started to gradually feel better. By one month I felt great. I took six weeks but was able to and I don't regret it at all.

I'm a family practice physician assistant....I basically walk from room to room and stand and talk. I went back part time at a week and a half, and full time at 2 weeks. I had about a week where I was pretty darn tired and if I went too long without 'eating' would start to get weak and shaky....I kept Syntrax nectar made with 1/2 juice 1/2 Water and sipped it all day and that kept the weakness at bay....I honestly was starting to get bored at home and was ready to go back. The more I moved the better I felt the more I was out,the more normal I felt. Of course, I also went camping with cub scouts 2 1/2 weeks post-op in freezing weather....now that I thought was going to kill me :)

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

I showered the next day. And returned to work after 5 weeks. I had planed on 4 weeks. I work in retail and am on my feet all day and lifting a moving things. I ended up being out 5 weeks due to a slight complication after surgery.

I am still in the pre-auth phase but I have a couple questions:

I was wondering how soon you can shower after surgery? I can cope with ANYTHING if I can only shower each morning.

How soon did you return to work? I'm planning on taking two weeks off. (I have four weeks sick time saved up).

I was able to shower on discharge day that was day three for me i was able to brush my teeth wash my face on day two. Everyone is different.

I went back to work in 4 weeks

Everyone is different with there recovery some went back in a week some longer.

I showered the day of surgery. I had my period and begged them. My husband had to come in and stayed in case I needed help. The shower had a seat too. The nurses offered to help but I was ok. I showered the 2days I was in. I had my it pole outside the shower but was still hooked up. I brushed my teeth daily I the hospital. I didn't have any complications and felt fine I had a lot of energy.