Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can a band tighten after a de-fill ?

I'm fed up. I had 1ml taken out of my band in October 06 as it had become very tight. Anyhow after gaining about 14lbs I had a fill of 3/4 ml in January this made me very tight again so 2 weeks ago I had 1/4 ml taken out. I still seem to be very tight and at the moment am having fluids during the day and a very small sloppy meal in the evening. As there was only 2 weeks between fill and de-fill, do you think things could be a bit inflamed and maybe will sort themselves out or do you think I need another de-fill? As I am at target now I dont really want to lose any more howevwer I do want some restriction to maintain loss.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

G aynor:(

I have only had 1 fill too tight. I got a fill, fought with hubby big fight, then flew to see very ill family member. STRESS I was so tight and the stress always makes the band seem tighter. I had a .5cc unfill and have very little change if any from when I got the fill. I am within 10lbs from where I want to be so I dont really want to spen 200 bucks for another fill and then a possible 100 for an unfill.

Your stomi can be swollen give it a few days and I always to liquid only the day of fill then see how you feel. If still too much a small unfill helps you dont realize how even the slightest makes a difference.

How close to goal are you?

Have you felt this way before?

Hi Brenda

i'm at goal. My band did get tight last October but a 1ml unfill meant I could eat anything, so although I dont want to be too tight I do still want some restriction.

gaynor

Yep, done that. even with a small of fill like .5 I am hoping I will get some restiction I need without being too tight. I am recovreing from some cosmetic surgery then about 4 more weeks I plan to get that small fill. The new dr. I have to see as he is the only one within 200miles made a comment about getting my monies worthso he filled 2cc, then unfilled for another $100. so I will go the cheaper route and do a small .5-1cc fill. the smallest amount makes a big difference especially when we are so close or wanting to maintain.

Good luck

G Curtis - I have several questions -

1. do you get your fills/unfills under flouro? I had one fill without it and found out later at my last unfill it was extremely different then i thought - my regular surgeon said without flouro you can lose Fluid when they extract the needle, etc. So maybe you really don't know what;s in there -what was taken out.

2. have you pb'd since your unfill - if so, yes you may be swollen and need to stay on liquids, etc although you say you are on liquids during the day.

3. if you can only do liquids and squishy dinner for two weeks imo you are too tight - how long can one stand that mentally and physically - i'm sure you are starving

lastly, i can't figure out fills myself as you can see from my ticker - i am still working at it.

what amazes me is that i have less Fluid in my EVER and i feel the best restriction now and haven't pb or burped since the unfill. My very first fill was 2.3 and i really had to watch my eating - most people go up in fill amounts - i seem togo down -

please don't give up - jeez you are at goal i think you said! go for fills/unfills that work - don't focus on the amount. good luck

I have just had 1.25 taken out, and suddenly can eat. I was very tight before and struggled, but was losing around 1lb a week, but on a poor diet. chocolate and chips (crisp). so for the last couple of days, I have treated myself and not worried about what I have been eating, so have gained 3lbs......but on the plus side, from today I am starting how I mean to go on. I am following the slimming world plan, so this morning I have had some scambled egg and a slice of bacon. I feel full. Also too much scrambled egg can make me pb, so I am looking at just enough to give me a good full feeling.

Lets see how it gos

Angie

Hi Brenda

i'm at goal. My band did get tight last October but a 1ml unfill meant I could eat anything, so although I dont want to be too tight I do still want some restriction.

gaynor

Hi Gaynor,

I'm sort of in the same situation. At this point I think I have all of .5cc in my band, and am probably going to have that taken out in the next week or so. I have great restriction (whereas in the past have had much more Fluid with the same effect), but am having reflux at night and can't really sleep lying down. I'm worried, actually, that once this Fluid is done that will be it for adjustments, and if the condition of reflux returns I won't have any more options.

The level of restriction I have now is enough to help me maintain or lose (if I want to put forth the effort), and I'd be very happy to maintain it as-is. But it's hard on my health to sleep in a reclining chair, and in trying to avoid reflux I'm eating way too much soft stuff.

There's much more going on inside than just the level of fluid in the band. Our bodies are adaptive, and over the long term our stomachs may adjust to the constant pressure of the band in some way. Our esophagi may work less well (which I suspect is the cause of my reflux) and it's going to take close observation to see what the situation is in each person.

IMO, don't worry at this point about restriction. The band has helped you reach your goal and now it's up to you to stay there. The more important thing is maintaining the health of your (our) digestive system.

Hi Alexandra

Would you beleive I seem to be ok at the moment, fairly tight in the morning and at lunch and then in the evening I do have to be careful because I can eat just about anything. But for the time being All seems to be ok.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are still having problems, reflux etc. It sounds as though you are so close to you're sweet spot.

Good luck I hope you eventually get to a healthy level of restriction.

All the best

Gaynor

Thanks Gaynor. I just made my appointment for a barium swallow on April 5. At that point they'll probably take out all my fill, and then I'm on my own. But I'm totally convinced that having no fill is better than having just a little that causes me to reflux at night. I can't eat salad, fruit, or even much meat and I know I'm not getting the rest I need to be more active. Much as I want my intake to be governed by the band for the rest of my life, that just may not happen.