Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you chose RNY rather than sleeve?

I am now and ex bandit after 11 years of complications and terrible nutrition.

I was only considering the sleeve but am not heading towards the bypass.

I think I need more than just the restriction especially long term.

I have really no idea what my eating habits are - i have been dieting then banded for the past 30 years.

Rani

I spent three months preparing for the sleeve. After surgery was scheduled I changed my mind for several reasons

1. I have bad acid reflux and sleeve can make worse

2. Only short term data on sleeve

3. Bypass is gold standard for WLS

4. I felt I needed more than just the restriction

5. I never could get comfortable with part of my stomach being trashed.

6. I prayed about it and feel God lead me to get RNY vs sleeve

Those are just some of my reasons but ultimately it's up to you. Talk with your doctor and do what's best for you personally.

I'm a band to bypass revision as well scheduled for March 21. I felt like restriction only hasn't worked for me. I've taken off 70 pounds and kept off 50 in five years. Plus, I have bad reflux from my band issues and the sleeve makes that worse. One thing that had been nice is having my band completely unfilled for the last month to see what my eating habits really are. I gained five pounds because I had been so long without bring able to eat real food. Now I've been low carbing and upping Protein in prep for surgery and the five pounds came right off.

I initially thought I wanted the sleeve but after lots of research and speaking with my surgeon we went with RNY. I have PCOS and insulin resistance and both my endocrinologist and surgeon felt the RNY would benefit me the most. My surgeon's biggest issues with the sleeve is that it is a newer procedure and there is data out there with people having leaks two years down the road- he doesn't like that and neither did I . So ultimately I had RNY on 1-24-13 and couldn't be happier.

Faster weight lost lots of restrictions

Most dr I talked to would not do band to sleeve only bypass because of the scare tissues from the band they said I would be at a greater risk of a leak

I spent three months preparing for the sleeve. After surgery was scheduled I changed my mind for several reasons

1. I have bad acid reflux and sleeve can make worse

2. Only short term data on sleeve

3. Bypass is gold standard for WLS

4. I felt I needed more than just the restriction

5. I never could get comfortable with part of my stomach being trashed.

6. I prayed about it and feel God lead me to get RNY vs sleeve

Those are just some of my reasons but ultimately it's up to you. Talk with your doctor and do what's best for you personally.

Same for me except my surgeon really did not give me a choice after he found out how long I have had acid reflux. He said it will make it worse and totally recommended the by pass. Also, the lack of data really got me. Oh and my Mom was freaking out about cutting out an organ, so it was easier to appease her and make the right decision. Good luck to you...which way are you leaning?

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk / surgery date March 5, 2013

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I suppose I am scared that it seems like HUGE surgery, the possibility of further surgeries in the future, I am fish eating vegetarian...

but at the same time I am sure i have scar tissue from two bands.

Im just scared I think.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I suppose I am scared that it seems like HUGE surgery' date=' the possibility of further surgeries in the future, I am fish eating vegetarian...

but at the same time I am sure i have scar tissue from two bands.

Im just scared I think.[/quote']

I had two bands then bypass... Lots of scar tissue and adhesions from bands. Sleeve was not even a choice after band only RNY or nothing. I have a close friend with sleeve she doesn't seem to be losing to much weight in fact she looks as tho, she gained.

Md told me that sleeve would be like band for me lots of reflux and stuck issues. If wasn't so scared 5 years ago I would have done RNY then instead of band, I read to many complications that stopped me.

weight.png

Those of us who have the band, would we have had it had we known then what we know now. All the new research coming regarding the band, I wouldn't have chosen it. Trust me, did well not a thing to complain about it, until Thursday when I found it had eroded, I've only had it three years, and only to find the research is showing this more and more. The band came in to play about 20 years ago, and there have been improvements, but the complications are still great. And now the research is showing the problems. Now my new doctor did give me a choice, but I threw it back to him and asked which would he recommend (he does all three of the surgeries) and he said bypass. I have to agree with those of you that feel there is not enough research on the sleeve, it is too new. If it has taken 20 years regarding complications with the band, what will we find about all the complications of the sleeve. Mostly likely the hard way, the same as with the band. All in all it your decision, but do the research, I truly which I had three years ago as I would have had RNY but old doctor was pushing the band.

I have had two bands a sleeve and now a bypass which I now feel confident about and wished I had had it as my first option

Well my new doctor was 95% sure my band had eroded. The good news is that he did an endoscopy on me Thursday, only to find that it had slipped. Bad news is another surgery as it has to come out, this is per him and he won't do another band, or try to see if we can get it to slip back into place. Neither have good results in the end. Now hopefully the next good news will be that they can do the bypass at the same time as removing the band. While talking with the nurse, she said that quite a few doctors are now shying away from the band, too many problems. Thank goodness that I had problems early, even though I never had any problems or so I thought. Just thought, because I didn't have any problems, did I have a band? So I'm happy that I found a doctor who listened and checked it out as most doctors will not do any other procedure after you have reach a certain age. 72 is there cut off and I'm pretty close to that. So we will see where my next Journey takes me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that the insurance will approve it all.

I'm afraid as well. My band must go and my Dr. is saying that even if I get the sleeve and it doesn't work, I could still convert to the bypass. With that said, why not just do the bypass and avoid a third surgery. I weigh 215 now and I'm sure once my band is emptied I will gain back more weight. I must do it soon and stop fooling around with my diabetes. The Best to everyone!!!