Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother Nature is Blocking my progress

So I haven't posted yet as I am gun shy of saying too much and nothing coming of it. This happened to me last Summer when it seemed like I was going to get banded. Then at the point of starting the few pre-op things I was supposed to do, screeching halt because my insurance quit paying for lap band as the success rate for long term was questionable. But there wasn't a surgeon or surgery center/hospital near me that offered RNY and took my insurance. So I figured that I would just have to do it on my own. I dropped 30 lbs, yeah that's wonderful, but it took me about 6 months, which isn't normal by any means. I had just about given up on this whole thing when the town I used to live in got a wonderful new bariatric surgeon, who takes my insurance, and so does the hospital where he does his surgery. YAY!!! So stoked. Went to the seminar, got my initial visit in and got a weight loss visit in with the PCP so I can show continuity. The office called and got my EGD set up for the 26th, I got another appt with the PCP for later that day, and that would give me 2 consecutive visits so Yay again!!

Then the office called me and they had my nutrition appt, physical therapy, and sleep study all scheduled plus my consultation with the sleep study doctor and my follow up with the surgeon. Yay again, and I'm getting excited.

But then...mother nature decides to dump snow on most of Missouri, except down south where I am and we have a lovely sheet of ice. So we've been digging out the last few days so that I can get stuff done for my appts on Tuesday. Now they are calling for more snow, but not here where I'm at. Up there where I have to be for appts. The thing is if I have to reschedule the EGD, then we are probably going to have to reschedule every thing else. And the kicker is I have to see the PCP before the month ends or I have to start over again. I seriously doubt the bureaucrats at my insurance company are going to make an exception for bad weather. So I am ranting today because I needed to vent. Argh!! Missouri weather is seriously jacked up!

But then...mother nature decides to dump snow on most of Missouri, except down south where I am and we have a lovely sheet of ice. So we've been digging out the last few days so that I can get stuff done for my appts on Tuesday. Now they are calling for more snow, but not here where I'm at. Up there where I have to be for appts. The thing is if I have to reschedule the EGD, then we are probably going to have to reschedule every thing else. And the kicker is I have to see the PCP before the month ends or I have to start over again. I seriously doubt the bureaucrats at my insurance company are going to make an exception for bad weather. So I am ranting today because I needed to vent. Argh!! Missouri weather is seriously jacked up!

I know how you feel, I live in the Northeast and I originally planned this whole thing so that by spring I would have my surgery so by summer I will hopefully be losing all the weight and looking good in the better weather where you can show it off more. I had to start back in October, as my insurance requires 6 moths of the Nutrition classes and all those other doctors appts.... Meeting with the surgeon, group dietitian, one on one dietitian, the monthly nutrit. meetings, psychological meetings, PCP meetings... so many to get through before my insurance will even okay the surgery. I never thought about the weather factor when I started cause the last year or so here in the Northeast we had it easy hardly any snow at all..... NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH... It has been snow storm after snow storm this year... and although I do have to admit so far I have been lucky that it hasn't yet stopped me but I still have a few more appt. before surgery day to get through and I pray that snow does not get in the way. I have one more monthly meeting to go through and Please, Please powers that be don't screw that one up for me, cause if I miss that last one, I have to start all over again with the six months and that would be the end for me.... there is no way I could go through all this for another six months that would kill me.... so I will cross my fingers as tight as I can a pray all goes well for me and hope and pray for you as well that things work out for you cause I know how frustrating it can all be when you work so hard for something and then something beyond your control takes it all away and people .... like your insurance company just doesn't understand.....

Good Luck.....

Thanks SKNY. It really is frustrating. Trying to coordinate all of this, plus the fact that I have to drive 80 miles one way just to get to these appts. and try to plan things at home so the husband and the boys are all taken care of. It's really frustrating to see the light and be just that close and have things happen that you have no control over. I'm tempted to go up early and stay in a hotel, the only problem with that is getting back to the room after the EGD because I won't be able to drive. I guess I shall call them Monday and see what they say. If I can get it moved just a few days later and still get into the PCP before Thursday then I can still swing everything else. Fingers crossed for both of us!!!

Snow, and sleet go away and don't come again another day!!!!!

Thanks SKNY. It really is frustrating. Trying to coordinate all of this, plus the fact that I have to drive 80 miles one way just to get to these appts. and try to plan things at home so the husband and the boys are all taken care of. It's really frustrating to see the light and be just that close and have things happen that you have no control over. I'm tempted to go up early and stay in a hotel, the only problem with that is getting back to the room after the EGD because I won't be able to drive. I guess I shall call them Monday and see what they say. If I can get it moved just a few days later and still get into the PCP before Thursday then I can still swing everything else. Fingers crossed for both of us!!!

Snow, and sleet go away and don't come again another day!!!!!

If you were able to get a hotel room and stay up there maybe you could take a cab or public transport back and forth the day of the EGD, that way you won't have to worry about driving, just a suggestion. But whichever is safest and best way for you and your family is best. Good luck on which ever way you decide, I hope it all works out right for you.