Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking whilst eating

I am seriously considering having a lapband (already seen the surgeon) but the one thing I am worried about is the no liquids whilst eating. I work in a very social industry which involves alot of cocktail parties/client dinners etc and am thinking it will be impossible to not drink whilst eating.

Im not just talking alcohol but Water aswell.

Im willing to try my hardest and certainly wont drink when at home, I just know that I will find it hard when out.

How strict do you have to be with that?

Thanks guys x

I take it very seriously. By drinking during and immediatly afterwards, it is underminding the effectivness of the band. Drinking will wash the food through the band instead of sitting in the pouch to make you feel full.

I'm very strict, it's one the guidelines I treat as a rule.

When I'm out, I drink a little Water before I eat, that's it. I do miss a glass of wine with my dinner, but decided it's worth it.

You could have a drink before you have dinner, and then maybe just have a glass of Water or wine at your place, but don't drink? Sip a little maybe?

I drink with meals, unless I'm just not thirsty. For me, it has never changed the amount of food I eat, I will eat the same when I drink as when I do not. I only sip, and feel each sip out before going to the next. And I only drink a little bit, not glasses & glasses.

The only time drinking has an adverse effect is when I'm stuck, or gummed up. Holy moley, don't ever get it in your mind that "I little sip might help"! :)

* ETA - I don't want to give the wrong impression. I don't chug a glass of tea with my meal. And most meals I don't drink because I'm just not thirsty (I used to drink a TON with meals, and was surprised to see that thirst diminish). But if I'm eating and I get thirsty, I will have a sip of something.

I wouldn't let this stop you. It's just another adjustment you will have to make in your life. There will be many. Although I'm not a perfect bandster and I do drink while eating sometimes, the band still will work. You will find out what works for you. Go get your band :)

By drinking during and immediatly afterwards, it is underminding the effectivness of the band. Drinking will wash the food through the band instead of sitting in the pouch to make you feel full.
and you may see less weight loss if you are drinking while eating since it flushes everything thru your pouch making you hungry again quicker

Not to mention it is horribly painful to drink after or during eating, I guarantee if your pouch is full and you try and drink during or right after eating, you will only do it once. OUCH! This in itself is one good reason to not drink while eating

Hi ,

I'm with wheetsin. I sip while I eat if needed. It's not always needed. If I'm at a rest. and there's a long wait for food, i may drink 1/2 glass Water. if not and food comes right away, I sip on it occasionally. Sometimes I need a little liquid to make some things go on down. You'll know when to and not to. Just like tonight. I had a sliver of warm caramel cake. It got stuck so i drank some cool water. Not a great idea. LOL ! The water came back in about a minute. It's not a gushing throw-up like when you're sick but a feeling of this has got to go.

The band is the very best thing I've ever done for myself and I self-paid! NO REGRETS!!!!47 pounds has already been worth the $16,000.

Don't do it! The whole point of the lap band is to feel full before you overeat. If you push the food down with Water, you might as well not get banded!

It turns out not to be as hard as you think, though. You can drink your wine or tea or whatever, right up until the food arrives. Then don't drink it. You'll be amazed how people don't notice, or if they do, don't really care. I thought being banded I'd stick out like a sore thumb, with my little mincing eating and no liquids. Nobody cares. And I get to talk more as I eat less. Start practicing a few quick responses if anyone asks. What you'll find is that you start acting like a skinny person...pushing away and saying "I'm so full I couldn't eat another bite"...while 3/4 of the food is still on your plate. Or eating slowly and appropriately while others gorge. That's where you may get a few comments, but surprisingly few!

Keep your eye on the goal...weight loss. Remember, alcoholics can still have careers in social industries. So can bandsters.

I've even been in a few situations where I've held a glass of wine and put it up to my lips periodically and not sipped any. Usually, though, I just realize that people at parties are pretty self-absorbed...

It honestly doesnt make much of a difference to me. I dont tend to drink while I"m eating apart from a sip, as long as I get that full (or more correctly satisfied enough) signal to stop eating, I do. That's what does the work for me. Whether I then drink and wash the food through the pouch 15 minutes later does NOT make a difference at all to me, I know I've had my meal and I dont eat till the next one.

Holding out between meals is not the problem for me, eating too much at a sitting was. So drinking or not drinking isnt really relevant.

But even if you follow the rule 99% of the time but break it at the occasional meal out, so what? Its about managing your lifestyle, not adhering to rules. But its true, you cant drink a lot and eat at the same time or you'll probably end up PBing.

One of the folks who works where I get my fills recently went to a lecture by the MD who brought lap band surgery to this country. He said that the most important rule to be successful with the lap band is not drinking during meals or for 90 minutes after (My Dr. says 30 min). He says it's not worth the money or time to get the band if you then just wash the food on through it.

I used to drink a lot of fluids with meals pre band and worried that it would be a hard habit to break but it was not too hard at all- I drink up to the start of a meal and if really needed _ will have a few sips after a meal and that satisfies the need- good luck with surg

I follow the band rules to a "T". I do not drink while eating, I wait 1 hour before drinking after I eat.

But, to stop the questions from everyone when I go out with a group, I order a glass of Water. They don't ever notice that I don't drink it.