Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exercise with arthritis-joint pain

Anyone out there that was motivated to have the surgery because of severe knee pain?

Before surgery I was in constant pain at work and the first thing I did when I got home was ice my knees. I am down 42# with the preop diet and postop loss at 3 months. I really thought my knees at the end the day would start to feel better.

The only exercise I have been able to consistantly do is pool walking, pool aerobics and pool zumba. Even with that my knees flair. So I keep to an every other day schedule.

Im am interested in others experiances. Both with the weight loss and what exercises have been most comfortable. Was there a point where the pain got less?

Ortho wont touch me for joint replacements till i lose weight , then they said 6-12 mo after i stablize because of nutritional considerations. I am probably looking at 2 more years - per their requirements. Im hoping for more like a year.

Cyndi

that really stinks. I know that exercise is key with this whole proceedure. I think you are doing the right thing with the pool exercises. I have heard it is less strenuous on your joints. Maybe as you loose weight the pain and inflammation will go down. Good luck to you and I am glad you are able to do some sort of exercise. Hugs your way!!

Anyone out there that was motivated to have the surgery because of severe knee pain?

Before surgery I was in constant pain at work and the first thing I did when I got home was ice my knees. I am down 42# with the preop diet and postop loss at 3 months. I really thought my knees at the end the day would start to feel better.

The only exercise I have been able to consistantly do is pool walking' date=' pool aerobics and pool zumba. Even with that my knees flair. So I keep to an every other day schedule.

Im am interested in others experiances. Both with the weight loss and what exercises have been most comfortable. Was there a point where the pain got less?

Ortho wont touch me for joint replacements till i lose weight , then they said 6-12 mo after i stablize because of nutritional considerations. I am probably looking at 2 more years - per their requirements. Im hoping for more like a year.

Cyndi[/quote']

I have severe arthritis in my back and joints. Especially my rt. Hip. I found I can't use the bike but I can walk for a little over a mile but not everyday. The pain subsides but it's there sometimes to let me know that I'm overdoing it. My back pain is gone. I'm 5 months post op and went from 350 the morning ofvsurgery to 265 as of last Monday. The more I lose the better I feel.

I have DDD (disc disease in my back) and fibromyalgia and both ankles have severe loose ligaments to the point of wearing ankle braces and excruciating pain with any movement. My knees are just fine :)

I was walking 4 miles a day early on my 12 week pre op journey. It was hard but I felt good and happy. That pushed my ankles to the breaking point. Now I can barely walk a grocery store from pain. So excersise is a frustrating challenge. I started using YouTube for chair aerobics. It's actually fun (I did salsa dancing once) and gets your heartbeat going and is very low impact.

The pool hurts my back a lot in the Water, ankle is great in the Water but once I'm out its even worse!!

Try the chair aerobics!!!

I am having this surgery directly linked to my osteoarthritis. My surgery is in 11 days and weight loss goal is approximately 110 lbs. I am virtually bone on bone in my right knee. At 43 my knee surgeon does not want to replace my joint until I get closer to 50. The weight is a huge factor in the deep intense pain I have daily and especially after exertion of any kind. I have not been an overweight person my entire life; its all post baby circa 15 years. I was an athlete until age 38 when I could still hit the ball hard but only hobble to first base.

I will keep you posted on my results. I am concerned about easing the joint pain as I lose weight as well. It has been a catch 22 for me...work out to lose weight...injure knee in the process (no matter how easy the pool is...I dislocated my knee in the pool!!) but if I don't lose weight my knee will stay in pain... *sigh. :)

My orthopedic gave me cortisone shots they really help and the gave me a series of 5 weeks of what the call chicken shots they have really helped

I get cortisone every 3 months. They really do help :) I just hope the weight loss really REALLY helps ;)

I have severe arthritis in my ankles and feet. I have had several rounds of cortisone shots in my feet and ankles (ouch!!!!!!). I have trouble walking much. I have done Peggy Cappa's Yoga for the rest of us. It is a good workout--lots of stretching much while seated. I am 56 and pre op. (surgery 2/28)

My Ortho says that losing the weight will relieve the pain a lot. I hope so.