Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well i stood up to the bad nurse

So after my bad experience with the nurse practitioner on Monday I called my dr office on Tuesday and asked to speak to my doctor. I received a call late this afternoon from the nurse practitioner saying she spoke to my dr and he wanted to place me on antibiotics for c diff. I took the opportunity to tell the nurse that her idea of it being diet related made no sense to me since I have had this problem for 6 months and only recently began eating carbs and drinking milk. I told her about the several rounds of antibiotics I have been on in the last few months and that I have read that it can cause a disturbance in the gut. She said she agreed with me and will call in my antibiotics.

Please for those that are having issues call and talk to your doctor - I have dealt with diarrhea for 6 months and so miserable. Hopefully the antibiotics will help.

So after my bad experience with the nurse practitioner on Monday I called my dr office on Tuesday and asked to speak to my doctor. I received a call late this afternoon from the nurse practitioner saying she spoke to my dr and he wanted to place me on antibiotics for c diff. I took the opportunity to tell the nurse that her idea of it being diet related made no sense to me since I have had this problem for 6 months and only recently began eating carbs and drinking milk. I told her about the several rounds of antibiotics I have been on in the last few months and that I have read that it can cause a disturbance in the gut. She said she agreed with me and will call in my antibiotics.

Please for those that are having issues call and talk to your doctor - I have dealt with diarrhea for 6 months and so miserable. Hopefully the antibiotics will help.

Well wishes to you

Sounds like you could use a probiotic for your gut. Often times the antibiotics the doctor prescribes, kill the important bacteria our gut needs. The balance of good bacteria/bad bacteria being unbalanced can cause symptoms like yours. I would definitely check with your practice, it is over the counter but I ALWAYS use a probiotic, not just when I am on antibiotics. Just an opinion.

Music - I was diagnosed with CDiff myself and I've had issues with it off and on. I even took two rounds of the antibiotic but, I HIGHLY recommend you taking a probiotic with them. The first time I wasn't told to take the probiotic. I finished the antibiotics, which tasted terrible by the way (bleck), and a week or two later the same issue started back up. They didn't re-test me...I had asked them to to make sure it was gone but, they didn't. So back on the antibiotics again this time with Probiotics called Florastor. Well......I've been off those antibiotics for I guess about 6 weeks and I'm still having issues here and there. I did notice that if I do take in too much dairy or if I have the whey based shakes for get it...I'm running to the bathroom and I can't run fast enough. I had to go home from work just last week because one day was so bad. I was hurting by the time that day ended. So back onto the florastor for me. I try to take at least 2 a day. I'm staying on them at this point but unfortunately, after a while....OTHER issues start because while it's correcting your colon...your female part because to reap havoc. (sigh) CDiff isn't fun! Mine was caused from the antibiotics they put me on for the wound infection I had. Odd how taking an antibiotic caused it so they put you on yet another antibiotic to get it back in line huh?

Sky - CDiff actually short for Clostridium difficile. CDiff is a species of Gram-positivebacteria of the genus Clostridium that causes severe diarrhea and other intestinal disease when competing bacteria in the gut flora have been wiped out by antibiotics.

Clostridia are anaerobic, spore-forming rods (bacilli).[2] C. difficile is the most serious cause of antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) and can lead to pseudomembranous colitis, a severe inflammation of the colon, often resulting from eradication of the normal gut flora by antibiotics.[3]

In a very small percentage of the adult population, C. difficile bacteria naturally reside in the gut. Other people accidentally ingest spores of the bacteria while they are patients in a hospital, nursing home, or similar facility. When the bacteria are in a colon in which the normal gut flora has been destroyed (usually after a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as clindamycin has been used), the gut becomes overrun with C. difficile. This overpopulation is harmful because the bacteria release toxins that can cause bloating and diarrhea, with abdominal pain, which may become severe. C. difficile infections are the most common cause of pseudomembranous colitis, and in rare cases this can progress to toxic megacolon, which can be life-threatening.

Latent symptoms of C. difficile infection often mimic some flu-like symptoms and can mimic disease flare in patients with inflammatory bowel disease-associated colitis.[4] Mild cases of C. difficile infection can often be cured by discontinuing the antibiotics responsible.[2] In more serious cases, oral administration of, first, oral metronidazole and — if that fails — then, second, vancomycin and if unsuccessful again, intravenous metronidazole can be used. Relapses of C. difficile AAD have been reported in up to 20% of cases.[2]

glad you called, glad they are paying attention. Hope the meds help, and I have to agree Probiotics would probably be a good idea too but ask the pharmacist or doc to make sure it won't interfer with the new antibiotic.

Thanks everyone I will talk to my pharmacist about the probiotic. I am so ready to be done with this.

Music - I was diagnosed with CDiff myself and I've had issues with it off and on. I even took two rounds of the antibiotic but' date=' I HIGHLY recommend you taking a probiotic with them. The first time I wasn't told to take the probiotic. I finished the antibiotics, which tasted terrible by the way (bleck), and a week or two later the same issue started back up. They didn't re-test me...I had asked them to to make sure it was gone but, they didn't. So back on the antibiotics again this time with Probiotics called Florastor. Well......I've been off those antibiotics for I guess about 6 weeks and I'm still having issues here and there. I did notice that if I do take in too much dairy or if I have the whey based shakes for get it...I'm running to the bathroom and I can't run fast enough. I had to go home from work just last week because one day was so bad. I was hurting by the time that day ended. So back onto the florastor for me. I try to take at least 2 a day. I'm staying on them at this point but unfortunately, after a while....OTHER issues start because while it's correcting your colon...your female part because to reap havoc. (sigh) CDiff isn't fun! Mine was caused from the antibiotics they put me on for the wound infection I had. Odd how taking an antibiotic caused it so they put you on yet another antibiotic to get it back in line huh?

Sky - CDiff actually short for Clostridium difficile. CDiff is a species of Gram-positivebacteria of the genus Clostridium that causes severe diarrhea and other intestinal disease when competing bacteria in the gut flora have been wiped out by antibiotics.

Clostridia are anaerobic, spore-forming rods (bacilli).[2] C. difficile is the most serious cause of antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) and can lead to pseudomembranous colitis, a severe inflammation of the colon, often resulting from eradication of the normal gut flora by antibiotics.[3]

In a very small percentage of the adult population, C. difficile bacteria naturally reside in the gut. Other people accidentally ingest spores of the bacteria while they are patients in a hospital, nursing home, or similar facility. When the bacteria are in a colon in which the normal gut flora has been destroyed (usually after a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as clindamycin has been used), the gut becomes overrun with C. difficile. This overpopulation is harmful because the bacteria release toxins that can cause bloating and diarrhea, with abdominal pain, which may become severe. C. difficile infections are the most common cause of pseudomembranous colitis, and in rare cases this can progress to toxic megacolon, which can be life-threatening.

Latent symptoms of C. difficile infection often mimic some flu-like symptoms and can mimic disease flare in patients with inflammatory bowel disease-associated colitis.[4] Mild cases of C. difficile infection can often be cured by discontinuing the antibiotics responsible.[2] In more serious cases, oral administration of, first, oral metronidazole and — if that fails — then, second, vancomycin and if unsuccessful again, intravenous metronidazole can be used. Relapses of C. difficile AAD have been reported in up to 20% of cases.[2]

Ok...thanks for the info :)