Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So first i am not posting this to get anyone to jump all over me. So dont please. Anyways i am headed to vegas in nov. And i have not even thought about alcohol due to the fact i am not a huge drinker. But is it ok to have a drink or two? I mean hello girls weekend in vegas! Nothing carbonated..clearly lol but something simple...? Yes i understand cross over addictions and blah blah im not making a a habit... Anyways by the trip ill be 3.5 mo post op.

I think u will be fine. I went out with the girls 6 weeks post op, and had 4 shots of patron, and didn't even catch a buzz! Lol but I haven't had any since then and it didn't make me sick or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

You will be fine.... I had wine about 8 wks post op and have wine a few times a week. I have not ventured to any other alcohol yet. Just be careful with your first drink, maybe try something at home first to see how you handle it.

I think I would do what BB suggests and try something out at home and see how you do. I am not a drinker, just occasionally maybe a time or two a year and what i drank had to be sweet and taste good, and that for sure is a no no post op. so i like you would have to give something a try, Wine might be the safest, You don't want to get sick in vegas.

I bet there will be a couple new outfits in your suitcase though. Have fun.

Thank you guys. Funny because my mom told me the same thing! She said try a few things at home. I have been tolerating pretty much anything I have gone to eat so far, unless I eat too fast or dont chew, then I tend to throw up. But my few times I have experienced my dumping syndrome is milk or milk product,,and I get the worst Diarreha. I am actually afraid to eat things outside of my own home!

I've got a big girls night coming up in a few weeks. I've never been a huge drinker and am not worried about ever becoming one but I do plan on having a few drinks that night. A friend suggested something.another friend of hers did post surgery when she was going somewhere she knew she would drink...carry crystal light or whatnot with you....order a glass of Water to mix crystal light in and a shot of vodka....mix together and you have your bariatric friendly cocktail....lol...or at least it was for her.

I have an occasional cocktail and I'm 3 mos post op. try the Crystal Light and vodka. No sugar n no carbonation is the key. Have a good trip :)

Go for it! I have drank a few times now since my surgery and have gotten drunk. If anything u sober up quicker from my experience lol but will deff add weight back on!! But have lost it again one to two days after plus some! U will be fine!

OK guys, I enjoy a glass of wine before dinner more days than not and I truly don't want to be a stick in the mud. But there are a couple of things to at least be aware of.

Keep in mind that alcohol will likely hit you harder and much faster than it did pre-op. There are some nightmare DUI stories out there from bypass patients that had a single drink. One often quoted ratio is 3 to 1 - one drink post-op is like three pre-op. Would be a very good idea to give your keys to someone else before you take that first drink.

My surgeon said absolutely no alcohol until six months post-op. Your pouch is doing a lot of healing from the surgery and alcohol can be an invitation to an ulcer. We pay doctors to be conservative and as others have said, there may be absolutely no problem. But the risk is there.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!! My wife and I will be there in late Nov. and have tickets to opening night for Shania Twain on Dec. 1st. I just have to go to Vegas every now and then and visit my money! Lol!!

I am 9 months post op and I enjoy the occasional vodka and flat sugar free lemonade, but wine is a no no for me because of the sugar content, it gives me the worst headaches, but everyone is different x enjoy Vegas hunny x