Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spivak's patients .....

What are you suppose to eat in a normal day? What items should you have in the home when you get home from surgery?

When I had the surgery I made sure that I had chicken broth - canned, fruit juice, and sugar free popsicles ready and waiting. After I could eat mushies - I ate mashed potatoes and oatmeal and grilled/baked fish. I also had gas-x and liquid tylenol on hand. I only took the pain medicine prescribed the night I got home. Other than that, I took the liquid tylenol and used a heating pad on the cuts and where I had gas pains. I was really lucky, I didn't have bad gas pains at all.

Kim

Hello Everyone! I too am a patient of Dr. Spivak's. I was banded June 9, 2006. Best wishes to those of you recently banded and soon to be banded. On Surgery Day --every staff memeber was very supportive, answered my questions, and eased my worries. Also, everytime I call Dr. Spivak's office, someone answers the phone and I have the answer that I need before hanging up.

Ok --so I'm a bit biased, I love Dr. Spivak and his staff. I feel they have truely saved my life.

I haven't been on LBT in a while and I am glad I stumbled across this thread!

I was banded by Spivak on 11/09/05. I have nothing but awesome things to say about him and his staff. I went into surgery weighing 329 lbs. and I am currently 184 lbs.

I am enjoying life and living it to the fullest. It will be nice to have a place to talk to other Spivak patients.

I am attaching a before and after pic. The biggest pic of me was at 350 lbs. and the other 2 were taken this past weekend at 184 lbs.

post-205332-13813134604884_thumb.jpg

Heather,

What an ispiration you are to all of us. Thank you so much for posting. It gives us newbies some hope when things are tough. I was banded on Nov. 20 of this year. My presurgury was 280 (haven't put that out in public before) and I'm down to 240. I'm feeling good, but have a long way to go!!!! My short goal is to get down below 200. Eventually I would like to be around 135 - 140.

You look awesome. A real inspiration for us newbies.

Thank Goodness, the gas is gone today. I was able to actually eat today without feeling like I was going to float off from the the bloating, like that would ever happen. LOL

Am getting my appetite back, guess that is a mixed blessing. Now I am faced with having to make some decisions about what I am going to eat. I live alone and don't generally cook, so this is going to be a challenge for me. Anyone have any good take out suggestions? I am thinking Outback Grilled Salmon with veggies and Boston Market grilled chicken and spinach.

Not a problem yet as 1/2/ cup of veggie chili did the trick tonight.

Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

Wow! I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I am going to make an appointment with Dr. Spivak. I was wondering, after you have surgery, how long until you can go to work? That is the only thing that is stopping me right now becuase I don't want to be out too long but I am waiting way too long to do this and everytime i look in the mirror, i get so depressed! Everytime i go shopping, nothing fits and I am so tired of it. No matter how much money one spends on clothes, it just doesn't look right and it is so depressing. I was 130 before i had babies and now i am 200 pounds. What is that all about? Someone please give me some hope!

I haven't been on LBT in a while and I am glad I stumbled across this thread!

I was banded by Spivak on 11/09/05. I have nothing but awesome things to say about him and his staff. I went into surgery weighing 329 lbs. and I am currently 184 lbs.

I am enjoying life and living it to the fullest. It will be nice to have a place to talk to other Spivak patients.

I am attaching a before and after pic. The biggest pic of me was at 350 lbs. and the other 2 were taken this past weekend at 184 lbs.

You look so beautiful. What in inspiration to all of us! I want to do that too!

Anyone have any good take out suggestions?

I've been getting a lot of take out food from Central Market. They often have grilled fish, mashed potatoes, and polenta. I buy a pound or so of the fish and then heat up smaller portions in my toaster oven. Same with the potatoes and polenta. I just love Central Market. All of their take-away food is really tasty.

Wow! I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I am going to make an appointment with Dr. Spivak. I was wondering, after you have surgery, how long until you can go to work? That is the only thing that is stopping me right now becuase I don't want to be out too long but I am waiting way too long to do this and everytime i look in the mirror, i get so depressed! Everytime i go shopping, nothing fits and I am so tired of it. No matter how much money one spends on clothes, it just doesn't look right and it is so depressing. I was 130 before i had babies and now i am 200 pounds. What is that all about? Someone please give me some hope!

I would plan on at least a week, if your job is fairly sedentary. The first day that I really felt "normal", about 80-90% was on day 7. I know that lots of people go back sooner, but I think that if you push yourself you are slower to return to normal.

Mary

I've been getting a lot of take out food from Central Market. They often have grilled fish, mashed potatoes, and polenta. I buy a pound or so of the fish and then heat up smaller portions in my toaster oven. Same with the potatoes and polenta. I just love Central Market. All of their take-away food is really tasty.

Excellent idea, I love them also. It is quite a trip for me to get there, but will go this week end. Thaks for the tip.

confusedgirl~

I had surgery on Wednesday and went back to work on a Monday. I sit at a computer all day if that helps you any.

Best of luck to you in your desicion.

I was banded by Dr. Spivak on August 2, 2006 and have since lost 50% of my goal weight. Dr. Spivak is a doll, a gentle soul who really cares about his patients and that is also reflected in his office staff. I have referred two other patients to him and they have not been disappointed either. Robin

Anyone know how much they put in for the first fill? Is it dependent on how much weight you have lost?

Also, does anyone know what size band Dr. S uses. I think I asked him right before surgery and he told me 10cc, but I may have just imagined it.

Strangest thing, I think they put me out in the holding area. At least that is the last thing I remember. Someone saying, I am going to give you a little joy juice and then I woke up in recovery.

For my other surgeries, I was never put out until I was on the table. Wondering if maybe they gave me Versed and I just have no memory of it.

It's really not important. I was reading on another post about others experiences in the OR ( the thread is about wearing underwear in surgery and is riot to read) and realized I had no memory of it.

Just wondered what others experiences were.

Hi Everyone ~

I was banded on 1-12-07 by the adorable and wonderful Dr. Spivak and had my first fill yesterday, 2-8-07. I believe he put in 2.0. I am not sure what determines how much he adds, but am very hopeful that I have good restriction after yesterday's fill. The actual fill wasn't bad, but I had worked myself into a nervous 'tizzy' anticipating it. He, as usual was a doll about it and went very slow allowing me time to get used to the feeling as he injected the solution. I can NOT say enough good things about him and his staff - they are awesome! I am so glad I made the decision to do this and to use Dr. Spivak.

I am curious where Central Market is located? I have heard of it, but never tried them.

Lynn :)