Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member - I'm So Excited !

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and possibly get some support. My name is Whitney. I'm 21 years old and I live in North Carolina. I'm looking forward to getting into the community and meeting new people that I can actually relate too! :D I'm severely overweight and I have been for the majority of my life. I'm ready to start a new chapter. I think it's about time I make myself happy and learn to enjoy life. Especially with me being so young.

Well , I saw the LapBand commercial the other day on TV and thought it would be a great alternative to losing weight. I've tried absolutely everything. Nothing has worked for me. I was on Xenical for a couple of months and saw little results with that but it was extremely messy. Not something that I wanted to deal with on a daily basis. I researched the Lapband on the internet and found some interesting facts. I even found a couple of surgeons that perform the surgery in my area. I called a couple of places who are going to send me an information packet to get me going. I just have a couple of questions so maybe some of you could help me out.

I currently have United Healthcare health insurance with my job. From what I know , it covers the Lapband surgery. Did any of you have United Healthcare and it covered the surgery 100 % ? I need to find out more but my work schedule is hectic so I don't really have time to sit down and get organized like I need too.

Another question that I have is how long did it take you guys to finish all of my paperwork , pre-op procedures , etc before the surgery was done? I have a seminar to go to on April 17th and then they are going to give me a 12-step worksheet to complete everything. I'm figuring this is going to take a couple of months. I thought it would only take a couple of weeks. Lol , maybe i'm just too excited ? :biggrin1:

Any help that any of you can offer me would be wonderful. Thanks soooo much! :clap2:

You're going to do great! Jump through whatever hoops the insurance company requires and get a band as soon as possible. It'll change your life!

Best of luck. This forum is a great place to do all the research you need to feel comfortable with your decision. There is a lot of work in being a bandster, but it's completely worth it.

Take care,

I am also pre-band.

One point in relation to your insurance, see if you can find out from your insurance company or your doctor (if they've had experience with your insurance co) if they require any period of a doctor supervised diet. Some insurance plans require nothing, some require any where from 3-12 months. This means visiting a doctor once per month for that time frame.

If that is a stip on your plan, it sounds like you may have it covered since you've done medically supervised diets in the past but most insurance plans have SPECIFIC requirements. Some even specify it has to have been done within the past year.

If your seminar is not until 4/17 you may want to start the doctor supervised diet now, just to get the ball rolling.

I would do a search on 'United Healthcare' and also visit the INSURANCE forum to see if others have experience with them.

Good luck!

I have United Health Care. Im not sure if it is different from state to state. But I live in Melbourne Florida and that covered 80%. I think. It might have been more then that. I ended up paying about $1500. They were great. I had my approval in about a week and had no problems with them. My Dr. makes you pay him $3500. out of your pocket for after care and for having him and his nurse on call 24/7. But every Dr is different. I think the whole process took me about 1 month. Good luck to you. Oh and welcome to Lap Band Talk. Every one here is very helpfull.

I have United Healthcare and they paid for everything. When I go for appointments and my fills, all that I have to pay is my twenty dollar co-pay. It only took a few weeks for me to get my surgery. All I had to do was have a stress test, blood work, and get a paper from my doctor with my weight every year for five years to prove that I have been overweight for a good chunk of my life.

I am not sure if yours will be different, but I hope that helps.

I have UHC as well and I think they base it on your BMI and if you have any existing conditions that could be caused by the extra weight (sleep apnea, HBP..etc)

I 'think' for patients with a BMI < 40 and no conditions they cover 80%, >40 and pre existing conditions 100% covered.

I've had quite a few people here at my office get it, some have paid the 20% and some others got 100% coverage.

Hopefully I'll find out in the next couple of weeks if I get 100% covered or not.

I have UHC too and they covered the surgery. They didn't cover the fills however. My fills are $200 each. You have to take that into consideration just in case they don't cover. Also, try to find a provider that is in network. I had mine approved but I had to state my case because there wasn't an expert within a 30 miles radius. Good luck to you. You will love being banded and it will work.