Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Gastric Bypass Surgery Anniversary

Well guys, it was exactly one year ago today when I sat down for my first meeting with my RNY surgeon. I must say this year went by with blinding speed. When I look back on that first meeting it seems like it was five minutes ago. And what a journey it has been.

One year ago today I was scared. My health was declining. I knew that my food addiction was shortening my life. And drastically reducing the quality of the time I had left. I wondered if I would ever see my grandson graduate high school, much less college and starting his own career and family. And yes, I was worried about the very scary decision to have major surgery to correct a disease that many would argue I should be able to do on my own. Was I risking my life on yet another attempt to beat obesity that was doomed to fail? What kind of pain would I have to endure? What about potential complications, some serious? What if the surgeon got in there and discovered she could not complete the surgery? What if the surgery just plain didn't work? Was I taking the "easy way out"? What would people say? What would people think? What if? What if? What if?

One year ago today I was 5' 9" tall and 285 pounds with a BMI of 35. This morning I'm 182 pounds with a BMI of 27.0. I've lost 103 pounds in one year. I was hoping for 6' 2" but yes, I'm still 5' 9" tall.

One year ago today I had recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my doctor put me on Metformin to try to control it. The prognosis was not good and he warned me that if the Metformin didn't work, insulin would be the next step and the most viable treatment option - other than surgery. My RNY surgery was on October 20, 2011. Two weeks later my A1c was 5.6. And my doctor took me off the Metformin.

One year ago today I had been on medication for hypertension for more than 20 years. Two weeks post-op, my doctor took me off all blood pressure meds. Yesterday, in his office, my blood pressure was 114/57.

One year ago today I had chronic lower back and knee pain. A couple of hours of grocery shopping and I needed to sit down to rest the back. Last weekend my entire family, including my 2 1/2 year old grandson, spent ten hours of quality time at Disneyland. Walking, standing in line, riding the rides, shopping, laughing and loving a beautiful day. Not the slightest hint of back or knee pain.

One year ago today shopping for clothes was an endless source of frustration. Options are limited when you have a 48" waist, 18 1/2" neck and XXL or XXXL is the order of the day. If Big and Tall or King Size didn't have it, I did without. Fast forward to a 36" waist, 16 1/2" neck and L and I can go into any store, anywhere, anytime and find my size in a rainbow of colors and styles and at a cost of 20% to 30% less than what I was paying before.

One year ago today I was literally living (or dying) on fast food and pizza. I could eat a super sized double cheeseburger, large fries and a large soft drink and be hungry an hour later. With one exception, I haven't had fast food or a carbonated soft drink in well over a year. The exception - 6" turkey breast and black forest ham on flatbread from Subway - and I literally could not eat all of it. My diet is lots of fish, lots of turkey, lots of chicken, lots of veggies, lots of fruit, lots of nuts - and I am loving every second of it. Real food, healthy food, is actually quite enjoyable. Who knew?

One year ago today my idea of exercise was a walk to the fridge. Today I walk a minimum of four days a week, more often when possible. I walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles and 45 to 55 minutes every time. I walk in a park near my home and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine more than words can describe. It took several months but at this point I'm literally addicted to walking. I have no explanation for it but if I go more than a day or two without walking, I can feel the difference - not only physically, but mentally as well. Maybe it has something to do with the unbridled joy I see in my black lab when we go for our walks. Maybe it's because I feel good about myself knowing that I'm doing the right thing for the right reasons for myself and my family. Or maybe it's the Universe giving me a pat on the back and a "Well done!" Like I said, I really don't have an explanation for it. One thing is certain - it is a delicious feeling.

Some of you reading this may be contemplating this surgery or other surgical options. Some of you may have many of the same concerns and fears that I had. Some of you may be suffering from some of the same health issues that I had. Some of you may be caught on the same "what if" merry-go-round that I was on. On this, my one year anniversary, I can only say that this has been one of the most exciting, most rewarding, most life changing experiences of my life. It most certainly is based on science. But the results are undeniably magical. Persistence, along with absolute belief, can never be defeated.

Congrats that is awesome!!!

What a great story! Well done!

Wow such a great journey. I hope those that are in doubt reads your story. Thanks for the encouragement.

You have truly captured why we have surgery. It is not just to lose weight; it is to regain our lives. Loved what you wrote. Congratulations!

Beautiful

I can't stop crying as I am ripe with anticipation of feeling like you at the moment you wrote these wonderful words. Inspiration and encouragement for us all. I m truly weeping tears of joy for you

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Thank you all for your kind words. I have visited a lot of WLS forums over the past months and I must say that the group of folks on this forum are simply the best. It is an amazing gift to have a place where we can go and "talk" to others about our journey. Thank you all again and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It's so encouraging! Congratulations on your new life.